(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

9 o'clock hour cut from Eric Zane show

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
larrybud

9 o'clock hour cut from Eric Zane show

Post by larrybud » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:59 am

Can't say I was listening the whole time, but I didn't hear any announcement, but the Dan Patrick show came on at 9:00 today instead of the usual 10:00. While I can't say it's necessarily permanent, it doesn't look good for EZ, which is a shame, as I think the show has rounded nicely into form. While I'm very glad he's on the air, I was wary of him being on BBL from the get-go ... would like to see him perhaps on a different station.

Trophyhead

Re: 9 o'clock hour cut from Eric Zane show

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

The podcast for today's show is posted on the WBBL website, and is 41 minutes shorter than the June 2 show. Didn't crack it open, to see if it's a "best of," but people do take vacations. Shows that have flamed out generally don't see processing for consumption via podcasts.

trevorlinck

Post by trevorlinck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:48 pm

he announced on his fb today that it will be 6-9 from now on with a sad emoji.

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm

While I think the Dan Patrick show is one of the most listenable shows on the radio due to the mixture of sports and pop culture plus Dan's great voice, this is certainly a head scratcher. Dave Jaconnete replied to people via e-mail saying there was an overwhelming demand for all three hours of the DP show. Maybe it's nothing and they're trying to even it out with three hour shows all day.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Follow the money - that will be your answer as to why. Either way, an hour less of local - is an hour less of local.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I hate to hear this and hope it does not signal bad things for EZ, I know he has a two year guaranteed contract so there's that security at-least...for what it's worth.

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:54 am

They could have found that the AQH share completely fell off after 9:00 and, indeed, it would have been cheaper to just plug in Patrick at that time. I wouldn't sweat it, exactly.

larrybud

Post by larrybud » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

I know BBL's overall numbers aren't good, but is there any way to know how Zane's show specifically is doing? I have to believe he's improved the numbers from where they were and cut into FBHW's share. Curious if anyone can find out?

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am

Was out of town last week.

Cutting DP to 10-noon got me to download the DP app and rarely flipped to the WBBL feed after Zane signed off.

I think Zane might be better with 3 hours but it's tougher to pay the bills losing 25% of the show's revenue stream.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Based on my knowledge of Dan's show's popularity, there is likely a clause in the agreement that states (or started stating, upon renewal) that all three hours must be carried. One could also assume that because Fox Sports Radio is syndicating Dan's show that the iHeart stations get first dibs on the show any time an agreement in the market is not being lived up to its' potential... that would 'give it' to 96.1.

I know of an instance in the past where an AM only station affiliate of a talk program in the early 2000s lost their show in ONE DAY to an FM competitor solely because the contract allowed an immediate 'out' by the network any time a preferable FM signal suddenly existed in the market.

Anything can happen!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm

How have FBHW been performing sans Zane? I still see him as a strong side kick.
(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Question for radio folks who know affiliate terms.

96.1 is part of iHeart and currently is an ESPN radio affiliate. Is DP Show marketed independently as part of Premier which is Fox distribution arm?

WBBL was Fox Sports and when its was part of the Cummulus purchase of Citadel they began doing CBS Sports. WBBL could keep The DP Show if it still has the contract. But would they have first right of refusal for renewal?

Remove DP from WBBL and it could be the catalyst to a programing change.

Biff

Post by Biff » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Turning lemons into lemonade:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6058649-eri ... -june-28th

They use the time that they're not on the air to include an off-air podcast and it's pretty dang funny. They spent the other day pointing out the ridiculousness of Kiss lyrics and, as a Kiss fan, it was true and hilarious.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

the matador

Post by the matador » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm

I think EZ is doing a good job all things considered. He has an absolute no-talent for a side kick, no pop off sound machine, and no talent coming from the producer.

I quit listening to FBHW in favor of the EZ show due to the "read lists and fake bro talk" since EZ left. He definitely was the spice of the show.

larrybud

Post by larrybud » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am

the matador wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm
I think EZ is doing a good job all things considered. He has an absolute no-talent for a side kick, no pop off sound machine, and no talent coming from the producer.

I quit listening to FBHW in favor of the EZ show due to the "read lists and fake bro talk" since EZ left. He definitely was the spice of the show.
Hot Wings joined his show?

Seriously, I think your take is a bit harsh. I like OJ, but no, he's not carrying a show by himself. I like the add of Ben; I think he adds content and does well with the drops.

the matador

Post by the matador » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 am

OJ needs to learn some yes and from improve. His no's and negativity kill what could be good bits.

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 pm

I agree, EZ's "sidekicks" are TERRIBLE. They have absolutely no understanding of flow, substance and how to develop their character.
That is the MAJOR downfall of that show unfortunately.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:46 pm

So now what now that Julius is gone as the #2? Outside talent? Real Big to make it a morning sports show? Some new no-name hack? Is the show worth saving?

The insight of a 6 year radio station do it all seeing the writing on the wall he is in a dead end career at 27 years old and wants to be an electrician is rather telling. Not much long term career stability in radio anymore.

grsportsguy

Post by grsportsguy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm

I would bet on outside talent. They've had ads out for a while.

Warrior85

Post by Warrior85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:03 am

They have an opportunity to help the show out by hiring someone with experience who can provide good chemistry with Zane...but you've probably got to accept it as a part-time gig or for $28,000/yr. No way there's any kind of budget for the #2 on that show.
"I am professional...I am VERY professional!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic