Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Nelson

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by Nelson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Have they done any marketing in the TC area? They'll especially have a hard time if they are just waiting for people to find their signal by accident and start listening and for potential advertisers to do the same.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 am

Regarding 100.3, FWIW.

I was briefly the chief there during Gannon's era of penny-pinching destruction. Both of the FM sites were the favorite target for someone and their .22 LR or shotgun. The coax on both towers had been shot several times and I doubt they were ever replaced. Both transmitters fought a battle of leaking nitrogen. I had to literally tunnel my way up to those sites, dragging cylinders behind me like sleds. Neither transmitter is very happy after a few days to a week. Now, unless someone has REPLACED any of that coax, I assume it still leaks like a sieve. Probably the case with many BFE-located FM sites in northern MI.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 am

Interesting! I suppose that could still be a problem. Being on the fringe of their coverage area (in East Jordan), its easy for me to hear the ups and downs in their signal strength. And its still going up and down, too. The only thing that makes it hard for me to fairly judge the strength of 100.3 is that I sometimes get 100.3 "The Point" (from Gwinn) depending on conditions. I've had WQON fade out completely and The Point fade in to "full quieting" even during very light tropo.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Nelson, I'd put money on the leaky coax being the reason you're seeing variations in the signals. LOL, when I said I was CE there "briefly", I meant it. Less than two months. Wild Bill was rough to work for, and I split as soon as I could. The studio facility wasn't that bad, but it was apparent that Gannon would only spend money if something was flat-out dead. He didn't believe in maintenance.

100.3 "The Point" (from Gwinn) - I guess I fall into the following category according to TC Talks: "It's very competitive and very few people even know these stations exist." I never knew Gwinn even had a station.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic