Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

14K will Be Let Go from GM

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 14803

14K will Be Let Go from GM

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Is this the beginning of a Economic decline in The USA? Also will there be a Government Shutdown on December 7th?

Turkeytop

Re: 14K will Be Let Go from GM

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm
Is this the beginning of a Economic decline in The USA? Also will there be a Government Shutdown on December 7th?
Look at a shutdown as another success for your President. He says he wants it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:56 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm
Car sales have been slowly declining and the housing market continues to struggle... it could be a bellweather but we need more data.. that said there was some data last week that showed slowing growth...

For what it’s worth here’s the last 5 quarters growth... 3 are at the “new normal” Republicans pilloried Obama about:
Q2 2017: 3.0
Q3 2017: 2.8
Q4 2017: 2.3
Q1 2018: 2.2
Q2 2018: 4.2
Q3 2018 (est.): 3.5

Those numbers aren’t that exciting really outside of the 2nd and third quarters this year... but it suggests overheating which would lead to the economy entering recession... this is what tax cuts tend to do when not used to stimulate an economy out of a recession...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:09 pm

CBC Radio One has been talking a TON about the closure of the Oshawa, ON General Motors plant today.

Trump is such a dingleberry. He wants to take credit for cheap oil prices. The reason oil prices are cheap is because producers began drilling a ton of new wells once prices neared $60 per barrel and stayed there for several months. Now, there's a glut of oil. When inventories rise - prices drop. As prices drop, new well completions are postponed and workovers are often postponed as well.

Capital markets financiers have also become relatively loose with investment/client selection, which benefits business across the board.

The Fed was 100% justified in raising interest rates. From this point forward, they should be less aggressive in raising rates, though.

If Trump wants to take "credit" for $50 per bbl oil, he should also take credit for the DJIA and NASDAQ shedding all of their YTD gains over the past 90 days.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Its an unpredictable, evolving, industry.
We had little competition until the 1980s. Suddenly, Japanese cars were racking up over 100,000 miles with basic maintenance. Companies like GM realized the needed to up their game, improve quality, and invest in technology. I think the damage was too much to fully repair. In most of the populated areas of the country, you see Non-US brands due to perceptions of quality that started a generation ago and never went away. And then, theres the media. Road And Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, pick one. Issue after issue of fawning over BMWs, Benzes, Acuras, Subarus, Volvos. None of the enthusiasm for GM. People have viewed their products as cheap, old-fashioned, and boring. Trends change. Tastes change. GM had a hard time convincing people that they made changes and improvements.
Add to it that fewer young people are getting a license and those that still are do not have enough interest in GMS offerings to make up for losses.
It hurts me seeing these losses. Unfortunately, I think it comes down to the fact that years of carelessness may have irreperably harmed GMS reputation, and a company must deliver what people want. Outside of Michigan, buyers dont want, like, or worse, trust Malibus and Buicks. same thing is happening with Ford.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 pm
We had little competition until the 1980s. Suddenly, Japanese cars were racking up over 100,000 miles with basic maintenance. Companies like GM realized the needed to up their game, improve quality, and invest in technology. I think the damage was too much to fully repair. In most of the populated areas of the country, you see Non-US brands due to perceptions of quality that started a generation ago and never went away. And then, theres the media. Road And Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, pick one. Issue after issue of fawning over BMWs, Benzes, Acuras, Subarus, Volvos. None of the enthusiasm for GM. People have viewed their products as cheap, old-fashioned, and boring. Trends change. Tastes change. GM had a hard time convincing people that they made changes and improvements.
Add to it that fewer young people are getting a license and those that still are do not have enough interest in GMS offerings to make up for losses.
It hurts me seeing these losses. Unfortunately, I think it comes down to the fact that years of carelessness may have irreperably harmed GMS reputation, and a company must deliver what people want. Outside of Michigan, buyers dont want, like, or worse, trust Malibus and Buicks. same thing is happening with Ford.
They fixed many of those issues in the bankruptcy... I see a lot of Japanese cars these days that leave a lot to be desired too... I do agree that the automotive press is overly enthusiastic about foreign cars even in an era where quality issues aren’t a big deal... quality is up across the board this decade... in many cases way up...

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Honestly this sounds like a regurgitated Louis Rukeyser commentary from 1992.
And its about the furthest thing happening from today.

GM is discontinuing six models - all basically sedans (cars) because everybody is buying SUVs and  trucks. Not that "unpredictable" if you see the newest vehicles on any road.
You can't spend money making cars nobody is going to buy.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm
Y M Ionhere wrote:
They fixed many of those issues in the bankruptcy... I see a lot of Japanese cars these days that leave a lot to be desired too... I do agree that the automotive press is overly enthusiastic about foreign cars even in an era where quality issues aren’t a big deal... quality is up across the board this decade... in many cases way up...
I think Camrys are really boring, but they are among the best-selling cars in this country. Its tough to change longstanding beliefs about brand quality. The Fusion is being phased out despite having won quality awards and the slightly larger Impala is going away even though its a much nicer car of near Cadillac luxury. I still believe people are buying less interesting Toyotas based on a quality gap from 20 years ago. Honestly, I think Buicks are about the nicest sedans out there for value and styling. They arent intended to be "grampa" cars anymore, but the image is hard to shake. Outside of Michigan, Toyota, Honda and Nissan passenger cars dominate the roads. They are winning in sales volume. I dont believe the quality gap is anywhere close to what it was, but sadly, I think too many other consumers still do. Otherwise, Ford would be killing it nationwide with the Fusion and still be making that car over the long term.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Looks like the big three are ceding the passenger car market to the Asians. They're putting all their eggs into the lucrative truck and SUV basket. When oil climbs back up over the $100 level, it may not seem like such a great strategy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm

I have said it before on this forum that autonomous vehicles will be prevalent in less than 10 years. GM is hiring like crazy in California and Washington in there GM Cruise LLC division.

Michigan and Ohio have eroding education prospects. We are not producing tech savvy graduates.

Sedan sales are not declining, The Big Three are just being out performed by Hyundai and Toyota. I agree with Turkeytop that putting all your eggs in the pickups and SUVs is it risky bet.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm
I have said it before on this forum that autonomous vehicles will be prevalent in less than 10 years. GM is hiring like crazy in California and Washington in there GM Cruise LLC division.

Michigan and Ohio have eroding education prospects. We are not producing tech savvy graduates.

Sedan sales are not declining, The Big Three are just being out performed by Hyundai and Toyota. I agree with Turkeytop that putting all your eggs in the pickups and SUVs is it risky bet.
Actually sedan sales are falling off a cliff... buyers are turning to crossovers, SUV’s and Trucks in droves... Sedans represent a smaller and smaller part of the market by the month...

As for autonomous vehicles... you are a little too optimistic... it’ll take longer than 10 years... likely much longer and if we have more high profile crashes like the one that killed the jaywalker earlier this year then they’ll never get off the ground any time soon... they can drive straight and all but they do not have the ability to predict every human mistake around them and react... in 75 years? Sure... 10? :lol

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 am

Something here smells like 2008.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks for the bailout. Bye bye, now.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:47 pm

FCA will have the only large sedans left from domestic makers, the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, both built in Canada. The 300 however has a limited time left while both the Charger and Challenger, after a dozen years, give or take a year, will move to the Guilia platform. There will always be a small but loyal base who want a sedan so when the domestics finally give them up, we will all have to go with an import. Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota etc will get that business. I agree that putting all your chips in pickups, CUV's and SUV's is a dangerous game....Time will tell.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:55 pm

I drove passenger cars for 40 years. As long as they stayed out of the shop, they served me well. But I sold my last Prius to a pal and bought a Subaru Outback about 18 months ago.

As much as I loved the good things about the Prius, it just isn't a good car for a gimpy, creaky guy with CP. It was becoming difficult and painful to get in and out of the car -- and it was never comfortable to begin with.

The Outback has the easiest ingress/egress of any car I have ever owned. It's quite comfortable and an excellent highway cruiser. It also feels like it's bolted to the road, even in slippery conditions. It's the best vehicle for me at this stage of my life.

As our population ages and as younger people become less interested in driving themselves around, the market has to change. If drivers want SUVs more than sedans and coupes, the smart money is on the companies that adapt to that.

Passenger cars won't disappear. Many people still want them and there will be companies that keep making them. The Camry has been the top-selling passenger car in the U.S. for more than 15 years -- it's not going away. The Accord is right on its heels. But the more marginal models will disappear.

The only thing constant is change.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic