All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Tom Bosscher

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Gary Ballard

Tom Bosscher

Post by Gary Ballard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Is Tom Bosscher gone from WCSG?

Arthur Mometer

Re: Tom Bosscher

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Still shows him on the Cornerstone University website. He posts here every once in a while.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

learn to fly

Post by learn to fly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

I believe he was whacked. In a loving, christian way.

radionut

Post by radionut » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 am

learn to fly wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am
I believe he was whacked. In a loving, christian way.
Correct. He is no longer with WCSG. A great engineer that I've learned a ton from over the years. Best of Luck in Retirement Tom!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm

The Cornerstone University profile has disappeared. It was there yesterday.

Just won the 2018 MAB Carl Lee Engineering award.

https://www.radiomagonline.com/industry ... media-show

https://michmab.com/programs-events/car ... ce-awards/

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

KC8YQQ

Post by KC8YQQ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Tom has some great tower pics I enjoy looking at from time to time. His are better than mine.

LurkerNoodle

Post by LurkerNoodle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Is Tom actually retired or was he let go? If he's not retired I'm guessing he'll be getting a call from WLAV after their botched transmitter issues.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

LurkerNoodle wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm
If he's not retired I'm guessing he'll be getting a call from WLAV after their botched transmitter issues.
There are at least four of the Carl Lee Award winners living at least part of the time within 10 miles of Grand Rapids.

radionut

Post by radionut » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

LurkerNoodle wrote:
Is Tom actually retired or was he let go? If he's not retired I'm guessing he'll be getting a call from WLAV after their botched transmitter issues.
Based on your statement you're assuming Engineering was at fault. Really? Not so. Get your facts straight before bashing people.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:00 pm

radionut wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm
LurkerNoodle wrote:
Based on your statement you're assuming Engineering was at fault. Really? Not so. Get your facts straight before bashing people.
They lost their leased tower site. With Cumulus and other large group owners in financial trouble and geographically overextended, Engineering concerns and considerations have been monetarily neglected.

I see that some of the Carl Lee Award winners have left broadcasting completely, and this is a big part of the reason.

I think this is a fair explanation.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Is the "botched" WLAV issue the reason its signal is crapola on the Lakeshore for the past few months? I had thought it was summer heat inversion or such, but it's crapola now no matter the weather.

RIP Dick McAuliffe. Always could count on Mac to be there when one went up the middle.

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 am

Yes, this is exactly why. They are operating at lower power not too far from where the tower originally was, and as listed in another item in this forum, are potentially working on another temporary tower colocation at GVSU, which would substantially improve lakeshore reception.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Just want to make it clear that the consulting done for the STA is not "botched", the consultants are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Because of all the FAA, FCC, and zoning regulations and NIMBYs, you can't just put up a tower anymore. You either have to use an existing tower, or wait a long time for all the approvals to go through. This is no way reflects on the engineering staff at the local level.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm not sure who was responsible for choosing the ill-fated WFUR-FM site for LAV, which proved to be a no-go, but I suspect corporate issues have made remediation of that debacle more difficult.

I noticed all signing parties for the new STA app were from corporate or lawyers representing corporate.

Tom is a total gentleman who loves his profession. I hope whatever he does next is fulfilling and enjoyable, and I definitely hope he continues to check in here on occasion!

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Sometimes, competitors make it difficult when you try to rent space on their towers. Remember when 101.7 in Lansing was on the same tower with WITL-FM, and got kicked off when they went Country?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:17 pm

You're right; this is why we won't be seeing WLAV on the WLHT tower anytime soon.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm

With Cumulus and other large group owners in financial trouble and geographically overextended, Engineering concerns and considerations have been monetarily neglected

Especially Cu... they could care less about engineering. Many great engineers were kicked to the curb or otherwise misused by that company. As much as I loved radio engineering, I'd NEVER work for those clowns. Or the rest of the "large" owners, for that matter.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic