I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Public Reality on 90.1

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
cckadlec

Public Reality on 90.1

Post by cckadlec » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 am

Does anybody know what the deal is with this station, WPRR, in Allegan County? I did some radio work in Saugatuck last week and ran into this dead air station that was trying to hog the frequency, though Chicago and Green Bay were still in on its sides just fine. I remembered that Public Reality had this station in that general area that was touted in their IDs and fully licensed, etc. and probably according to the FCC's oft-false knowledge, on the air; but despite hundreds and hundreds of hours of listening this summer, even tuning in in Holland, I had never run into it. Which is highly improbable considering its licensed power was plenty to crush the dial here in Fremont.

So, I went home. And there the station was at home too. It seemingly hadn't been in a day or two before as I'm finishing up my project of recording 500 TOH IDs of all the stations heard from my location (#473 at the moment). After 473 TOH IDs recorded, you'd think I'd have run into just about everything within 250 miles at least once. It's still in 24/7 with dead air. I'm getting annoyed with it.

Even though I know it technically should have already been on and actually I've been lucky to NOT have had to deal with it, I e-mailed them wondering about it and just get radio silence from them (how rude! If it's them, which it almost surely is, they could just say "we're working on it" at the very least to reply even without any details. Why do radio stations so often NOT reply to their (potential) listeners?). :roll:

I actually enjoy their programming, was very polite in my message which was merely curiosity as to when it'll come to life from the dead [air]. Anyone have inside knowledge on when there will be more than dead air? (I mean, if they intend on just broadcasting dead air on it just to satisfy an FCC requirement, please turn that thing off so I can hear actual stations... :rolleyes )

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

phillyb

Re: Public Reality on 90.1

Post by phillyb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:54 am

Remember this WPRR group of stations and translators is part of Bob Goodrich's broadcasting empire (such as it is).

Goodrich has always had a "engineering, what's that" attitude with his stations. Clear Channel (now IHeart Media) had to practically rebuild the Muskegon cluster once that was acquired from Goodrich---the stations were so deficient in engineering from years of neglect by Goodrich.

Plus, given the average numbers of people who listen to WPRR (near or at zero) means there's no real motivation to shape up.

90.1 is severely directional, nulls to the north to protect WTHS-89.9 and WBLV. You can get this in Fremont??

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:26 pm

If you drive by the tower in Clyde Township, you can see how amateur their setup is. Physically it looks more like a pirate setup than anything else. No way that height can reach Fremont. Even when they were broadcasting, they faded out by Holland.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm

I regularly hear the Sheboygan translators here in Fremont (96.9 in the null of LAV when The Drive is tamed, 100.5, 96.1, 103.3 in the null of TMJ) at 93 miles and plenty of other "no way" things weekly. :)

Actually, the dead air signal was nearing local strength (a weaker local) in Saugatuck and I'm sure it's the same that I hear(d) here for the past one-plus week aiming at Holland (note: portable radio only; not the car radio). The dead air ... left the air... yesterday morning about the start of the business day after I posted this. Perhaps a coincidence. I guess the better question is: has anyone else closer to the signal also been hearing dead air in the area??

The only thing I'm hearing on 90.1 now in Fremont since then is Chicago and Green Bay both at equal strength in stereo on seek. With nighttime enhancement, Coldwater is quite regular and Bay City. Little else to be heard on the frequency short of WOI ever great now and then on a very good day no matter how hard I try. The big two hog the frequency. Also remember the fact that tropo exists (!) and that I live on a ridge with line of sight to Milwaukee, Chicago, Sheboygan (not Green Bay though, thanks to Oceana County), and basically the whole lakeshore from Silver Lake and south. While hills may knock out a low-to-the-ground crappy signal like that in Holland or Allegan or Grand Rapids, me being a good 200 feet higher means I catch what's flying above everyone down there without any land to interfere (it's better if they actually run at their licensed power, but I suspect otherwise). Their 95.3 is very common here as well, but their 102.5 would never [has never yet] overcome WIOG and Life.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic