All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WLAV-FM has filed to change its main tower site to WFUR-FM's site!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Arthur Mometer

Re: WLAV-FM has filed to change its main tower site to WFUR-FM's site!

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:29 pm

The online FAA Chart not being accurate is something we should be concerned about, if indeed there is no tower there, and the WLAV tower was in the wrong place. After all that registration and coordinate correction, you would think it would be more accurate. Still say locate it close to the old site to preserve the Class B service area as much as possible.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm

WIOG moved across the street when they had to leave the WNEM-TV tower. I realize that that area is probably becoming invaded by NIMBYs. But they never seem to be able to stop a new cell tower installation. Just tell people their cell calls will keep dropping without the new tower. And they will keep dropping and data access will keep slowing down.

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

KC8YQQ

Post by KC8YQQ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:12 pm

If you download Google Earth, FCCInfo has a plugin where you can view a tower and what stations are on it. This comes in real handy when I'm wandering around with a camera in my hand.

More info here: http://fccinfo.com/fccinfo_google_earth.php

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:41 am

Apparently, the station is still going to try to make a "go" of the WFUR-FM tower site with some sort of structural reinforcement. Good luck with that.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:41 am
Apparently, the station is still going to try to make a "go" of the WFUR-FM tower site with some sort of structural reinforcement. Good luck with that.
Interesting. I'm not exactly sure what all the structural reinforcement would involve, but you'd think that they would have tried that before these STA facilities became necessary.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 pm

TheGadgetGuy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:41 am
Interesting. I'm not exactly sure what all the structural reinforcement would involve, but you'd think that they would have tried that before these STA facilities became necessary.
A similar situation occurred when WFBE had to relocate, and chose to use the 370 foot North Tower of the WTRX array. Plans to use that tower to mount an FM transmitting antenna went back to 1948 when WBBC-FM 99.9 (NOT a typo) was going to use it. It was unfortunately never built. Considerable time and expense went into reinforcing the tower for the WFBE antenna more recently, and also WFBE went more directional and decreased ERP. Changes in Section 73.215 would have allowed it to be 50 kW nondirectional at the Flint Central tower site at the time that change was made.

bosco

Post by bosco » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm

The 475 foot tower by Honey Creek and 3 mile with these coordinates:

43 01 00 N 85 28 45 W

Is the Michigan State Police tower.

And I was invited by LAV's chief engineer to witness the tower dropping, as I installed it 40 years ago. Tried to get the owner in '78 to buy the land, but no dice. So the 20+20 years lease expired.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

The 475 foot tower by Honey Creek and 3 mile with these coordinates:

43 01 00 N 85 28 45 W

Is the Michigan State Police tower.
Finally...mystery solved! :)

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, how long has that tower been there? I presume it was built when the state police transitioned to a trunked radio system in the 800 MHz band?

Dealing with state bureaucracy is a pain in the neck. Now that we know who the owner is, it is easier to understand why WLAV simply didn't apply to relocate to that nearby tower.

I believe this is the one:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ ... gn=WPNT242

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 am

The state will never allow them on that tower.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic