All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

That time Bruce Grant slugged his PM....

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
TeleCine

That time Bruce Grant slugged his PM....

Post by TeleCine » Wed May 30, 2018 12:58 pm

What an awesome blog w/ great stories. https://signingoff.blog/2017/10/29/bruce-grant/

krafty

Re: That time Bruce Grant slugged his PM....

Post by krafty » Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 pm

I actually remember talking to Gary Allen about that - among other things.

One thing the story mentions is that Bruce getting in at 2am to start prepping. According to Gary, Bruce would arrive at 2am just to say he was the first one in. He'd then nap in the studio for an hour or two.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 am

Is he related to former jock at WMUS Lynn Grant?

bosco

Post by bosco » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:52 pm

He would nap for maybe an hour. He came in at 2 am, did his show prep first, then took a 45-60 minute map. The engineer on duty was his back up alarm clock in case Bruce over slept. He worked very hard on his craft. And I know this as I worked with him 2 mornings a week, for four years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Mr. Grant was on the air before my time (I was no older than elementary school age at the time), but I agree with what Skip wrote in his blog regarding Gary Allen.

Gary was a phenomenal broadcaster whom I probably should've complimented here on more frequent occasion. He was a great M.C. for any type of community event, did wonderful work on TV during telethons and was also a terrific pitchman for advertisers.

Of course, WOOD's morning program these days is completely spoken word (news, weather & traffic, sports scores, expert segments, interviews), but I *am* old enough to remember when Gary would spin a handful of sappy MOR tunes every hour. :)

For a number of years, his morning show was the only daypart on the station that still featured some music. I am unsure when all music was dropped for good.

Too bad I was unable to listen to Bruce Grant; sounds like many folks hold his on-air skills in very high regard.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

radioone

Post by radioone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

I was a teenager in the late '60s/early '70s and remember my parents always listening to Bruce in the morning. Hearing the prerecorded comments he cleverly used seemed like the precursor to the ensemble morning shows. It was as if he was carrying on conversations in the studio even though he was a one man show!

Gary Hunt

Post by Gary Hunt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm

For those who never heard his show on WOOD AM/FM, here's an aircheck of Bruce Grant broadcasting his show high atop and in a crane during the building of the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel on September 15, 1982. I hope this link will work, but if not, copy and paste the link into your browser and hit enter. https://app.box.com/s/bzekxvmmsqtrsgser9dvs5qiuyoz9qbv

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm

i listened to his last saturday show on the EAS monitor in cue in the klq studio. i wrote him a letter in tears and dropped it under his wiper on his red and white bronco 2 in college park plaza on my way out of town that morning. we listened to him every morning when i was a kid. he was the master of just talking to the listener...not at them...talking to them.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Here's a YouTube clip I found of News 8 reporting on Mr. Grant's last day on the air...

How did the programming on AM 1300 differ from FM 105.7 during the 80's & very early 90's ?

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 pm

I'll try to remember the format info for WOOD-AM and FM as best I can. WOOD-FM was your basic beautiful music station in the 80's until early 1991 when the change was made to Soft A/C as Easy 105.7 FM. WOOD-FM still had a substantial but aging audience when the format change occurred. You'd have thought the world was coming to an end with all the letters to the editor to the Grand Rapids Press demanding a return to beautiful music. Beautiful music would then shift to 96.1 for a short time (failed), then to 100.5 (failed). In the meantime WOOD-AM was a full service A/C during most of the 80's and into the early 90's. In 1991 WOOD began airing Rush Limbaugh in the early afternoon (Before 1991 Rush was on AM 1530 in the Grand Rapids market). I believe WOOD-AM continued to air some music programs (mornings and later in the afternoons/weekends) until sometime in the mid 90's. By about 1995 or so, WOOD-AM had pretty much shifted to an all News/Talk format. WOOD-AM and FM also used to simulcast the morning show with Bruce Grant, but I really don't recall when they stopped the morning drive simulcast. It was sometime in the mid to late 80's when the morning simulcast ceased.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 am

I put in for a part-time Sunday midday shift in '91, there would have been tune spinning required until the Lions pre-game show came on at Noon. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that Gary Allen was playing sporadic music on the morning show, that continued until they built what is now called Grand Rapids Morning News in '94, with Jay Allan (sp.?) taking the reins as Gary's sidekick and sports man, only to let them go, with Ray Bentley then hired in to replace Jay in those duties.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic