All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Branding change imminent for WZZM?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Branding change imminent for WZZM?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Looks like the station will soon be de-emphasizing its call letters from on-air branding and instead placing a stronger focus on the tagline, "On Your Side."

The full scale version of their web site features the new logo. Looks nice, actually!

Looks like the red color scheme may be on the way out, too.

http://www.wzzm13.com

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

inmyopinion

Re: Branding change imminent for WZZM?

Post by inmyopinion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 am

This will for sure turn the meters/diaries upside down. Hope you enjoyed the ride WOOD-TV, WWMT and Fox 17, there's a new king in town and it is known as "on your side" and they have NO MORE RED in their logo.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Why would they distance themselves from their call letters on the website? You have to scroll to the very bottom to see WZZM in print.

On WFQX, they are now branded Local 32 instead of Fox 32. Again, are they trying to distance themselves from the Fox Network?

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:08 pm

MW, are you insane? Blind? Well, maybe neither. Let me explain......

The "new" WZZM website is horrendous. It appears it was built for mobile (re: smartphones) and completely ignores desktops. So you must be looking at it on your mobile device. On a desktop, it is a godawful mess.
:barf :barf

RIP Dick McAuliffe. Always could count on Mac to be there when one went up the middle.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 pm

When I said, "Looks nice," I was referring only to the new logo. I did not choose my words well earlier; sorry about that.

I completely agree that the web site looked disheveled yesterday. I didn't focus on that because I figured it was a work in progress.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Not a work in progress. It is what is. I have it on good authority from a WZZM staffer that it was designed solely with mobile in mind; desktop be damned! And it shows.

RIP Dick McAuliffe. Always could count on Mac to be there when one went up the middle.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Mickey Lolich wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm
Not a work in progress. It is what is. I have it on good authority from a WZZM staffer that it was designed solely with mobile in mind; desktop be damned! And it shows.
Isn't everyone doing it that way these days?

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Don't know about "everyone." It is foolhardy to think all of your audience is on a mobile device. Last I saw, there is still around 40% accessing via desktop and holding steady. Kind of stupid to dis 40% of your audience. In this day and age, you need to design a mobile-friendly AND a desktop-friendly site. But, then, we're talking about a Grand Rapids TV station, so.......

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am

Mickey Lolich wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm
In this day and age, you need to design a mobile-friendly AND a desktop-friendly site.
With all of the options available and ease involved with creating "responsive" website design (a single website design that automagically adjusts its design and layout to be optimized for desktop, tablet, and mobile sized screens, there's zero valid excuse for WZZM to not put the design effort into making sure the desktop side of their site looks good.

But then again, we can only expect so much from a station that didn't have any kind of web presence until, what, 2001?

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Thank you, Bull. THAT's what I'm talking about!

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Also, while we're talking about WZZM's graphics and branding, I wish they wouldn't have changed the "13" - the current one looks so much more generic compared to the one from the '90s/early '00s:
wzzm13.png
wzzm13.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 am

I like the old logo from the mid 80's Image

Hombre Grande

Post by Hombre Grande » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Is this just a case of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:32 pm

They hire consultants and follow any and all stupid suggestions they have. What idiots!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:52 pm

I love the new graphics!!

Very sleek and hip.

Is WZZM the first Tegna station to use this new package?

Edit: the answer is "nope!" KGW-TV in Portland launched use of the package last December 7. Several more stations followed suit later that month.

Loved the lower thirds from the last package, but some of the full screen visuals were lame.

Whomever designed the new stuff did a phenomenal job!

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah, Tegna's WKYC/3 Cleveland debuted the new graphics package a couple of months or so ago...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic