Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Kyle Underwhelm

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
RadioPhobia

Kyle Underwhelm

Post by RadioPhobia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 pm

OMG it's SO painful!
I work from home and sit at a workstation for many hours a day with the TV on for background noise. This week with Bill Steffen on vacation I've had to SUFFER through Kyle Underwood and his ridiculous TV presence all week - sometimes having to sit through it 3-4 times in one day/night.

I'm baffled that management doesn't sit down with him and tell him to TONE DOWN the 'casual' 'full of hot air' delivery and just give us the fukking forecast. If I could count the number of times he's thrown out ARCTIC BLAST this week, and get a dollar for each one, I could retire. It's going to be 28-30 degrees for like 7 days and that is NOT an 'Arctic BLAST' - for cryin' out loud it's December!
He's clogging up Facebook too with 'live' yak-yak-yak ARCTIC BLAST' break-ins about 3 times a day. GIVE IT A REST. or better yet GIVE YOURSELF A REST.

Oh and he uses the word 'precip' for rain. Give me a break. That might work in the break room with other weather guys, but the public doesn't get it. He just loves to hear himself talk and act cute while I struggle not to pull a shoe off and toss it at my TV.

And as for Steffen, nice guy, but it's time for him to stay home and hang with his family. He's had a good run. But his blatant denial of climate change tarnishes his forecasts. He will NEVER talk about any 'above average' temps - even when the NWS is blaring about it, but will ALWAYS talk 'cooler than average' over and over and over. (His blog suffers from that too - at least when there were comments, people could challenge him over it, but now that comments are gone, he's free to spread his BS. I want THE weather forecast, not YOUR weather forecast).

Matt Kirkwood is next in line for Bill's job. It's time to give it to him. I recall how 'green' Matt was in his first few months, but boy, he's really great now. I see him during the morning forecast, and he's funny, precise, great smooth delivery and even though I'm told he doesn't believe in climate change either, he NEVER lets that taint his forecast. If the 6-10 day weather map says 'much above average temps' he will SHOW it on the air. And just for the record, Ellen Bacca was also great hire. She's sweet and VERY good for just starting out and can only get even better.

But the rest of them? Hooey. Hey WOOD: Do some serious thinking. It's time to upgrade and make some overdue changes.

Bull Shannon

Re: Kyle Underwhelm

Post by Bull Shannon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 am

My personal prediction is that, unless he decides to retire sooner, Bill will probably retire by 2021 as that'll mark 20 years at WOOD after he left WZZM.

Kirkwood would definitely be solid in the Chief's chair after Bill retires.

Underwood's enthusiasm is definitely a bit over the top sometimes.

They also clearly need to hire another meteorologist with 'WOOD' in their last name.

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:25 pm

RadioPhobia wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 pm
OMG it's SO painful!
I work from home and sit at a workstation for many hours a day with the TV on for background noise. This week with Bill Steffen on vacation I've had to SUFFER through Kyle Underwood and his ridiculous TV presence all week - sometimes having to sit through it 3-4 times in one day/night.

It's too bad there isn't more than one channel choice around here.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I have to strongly disagree with the original post.

Bill's long-range forecasting ability is very good, probably better than anyone else in the market. His knowledge of historical facts (especially in relation to local weather) is impressive, too. I hope he sticks around.

I've always liked Kyle Underwood's on-air manner.

Matt & Ellen are good. For being bottom man (or in this case, woman) on the totem pole, Ms. Bacca does a terrific job. Would not surprise me if she follows in the footsteps of her two predecessors - i.e. bigger job in a larger market.

Top to bottom - channel 8 by far has the best weather team in the market.

BTW, Bill's blog post regarding his encounter with a pelican in Florida is some funny shit. I encourage everyone to check it out; you'll soon learn why I used the "funny shit" reference. :)
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Wood TV does a pretty good job when it comes to weather like most everyone on weather. You don't hear about climate change on local TV stations they just give you the weather forecast let Weather Channel talk about Climate Change which they are 90% wrong on it and have a bias on that.
Last edited by MasterB on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 am

I have to disagree on both counts about Matt Kirkwood.

I don't think the line of succession is that clear. Matt is in no way a shoe in for the Chief Meteorologist job. Given the recent substitution assignments, I would say Matt's chances are well below 50/50.

As to the comment about how "green" he was, you are being waaaaayyyy too generous. I still remember a 7:25 am weather break when he was waxing poetic at such length over the beautiful background scene that he forgot to get to the forecast. Pretty basic stuff.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am

MasterB wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 pm
Wood TV does a pretty good job when it comes to weather like most everyone on weather. You don't hear about climate change on local TV stations they just give you the weather forecast let Weather Channel talk about Climate Change which they are 90% wrong on and have a bias on that.
I agree. The Weather Channel is biased about Climate Change. They have chosen to accept the conclusions of accomplished climate scientists over those of opportunistic hack politicians. I'll take that bias any day!

jm

Post by jm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Jason, then why did the founder of the Weather Channel come out with a piece about the flawed science being used to promote climate change?

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

jm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm
Jason, then why did the founder of the Weather Channel come out with a piece about the flawed science being used to promote climate change?
So you choose to use the "ONE" person who said the science was flawed to base your argument? Gotcha.

As for the successor to Bill, I choose to put my opinions of talent aside and let management's actions speak for themselves. In this instance, If Bill is off, who does his shift? Seems to me Kyle, enough said.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 am

He is easily among the most self-assured of their meteorologists, with Terri DeBoer giving him a run at the top as self-absorbed.

Kyle did a piece on Facebook yesterday, a "quick update" about the snow starting up, which went four minutes.

Quick is open to debate, I guess.

I find myself turning to 17 first for News these days, then 13 or 3, then 8, with no good reason for this selection pattern.

Maybe when the weather's REALLY bad, the rotation will change.

trevorlinck

Post by trevorlinck » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 am
He is easily among the most self-assured of their meteorologists, with Terri DeBoer giving him a run at the top as self-absorbed.
good thing tracy hinson is gone; she was 100x more self-absorbed than all of the others combined.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 am

What is the deal with Candace's voice over at 17? I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard. She needs some serious, serious coaching.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic