Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Curtis Gone At WLHT

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
option1

Re: Curtis Gone At WLHT

Post by option1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Connie & Fish will do well. They will be the most entertaining morning show in GR. Their chemistry is natural, not forced, and what they'll bring to WLHT, besides big numbers, is a very loyal listener.

But MW in a previous post recognized the problem with this situation. Programming. Can programming keep up with these two major market talents. Like most very talented personalities, they are going to push the envelope. Fish is no Curtis. This is going to go from "wake me up when he stops talking" to "did he REALLY say that!?" Fish ain't no joke in a good way.

Musically, ugh. Their position statement "All the hits without the rap?" Really? In 2017? Do you have to remind me you don't play rap and you play Khalid 20+ times a week? C'mon. Its Grand Rapids. Thanks to WSNX from 20 years ago, rap is an acceptable genre of music in that town. And don't tell me what you don't do, tell me what you do do. Simple stuff like this makes Connie and Fish's job that much more difficult.

The market is wide open right now for someone with a game plan to focus, do basic radio right, and win. They made the right move with the morning show, now realize what you have and get the station moving in the right direction. It's not rocket science. Get off your ass and outwork the other guy.
Last edited by option1 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 pm

These two look like they belong on LivePD: Super Meth Edition. If they didn't work in Oceana County when they were younger, I'm not seeing this happening.

Still no idea why they'd mess with a show that was winning, unless Connie's ego got in the way.

Holmes

Post by Holmes » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 am

handbanana wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 pm
These two look like they belong on LivePD: Super Meth Edition. If they didn't work in Oceana County when they were younger, I'm not seeing this happening.

Still no idea why they'd mess with a show that was winning, unless Connie's ego got in the way.
Man, I dont say a lot on this board but what the f*** kind of a**hole comes on here saying some sh*t like this?
Live PD Meth Edition?
I'm sure you're a shining example of beauty and awesome as you hide behind a bullsh*t name talking sh*t about others.
Good luck Connie & Fish, you'll do fine. F**k this dumb ass.
..:: HOLMES ::...
APD/MD/on-air 93-1 Jamz - Madison, WI
Facebook :: Twitter ::

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:13 am

I am very happy to see 95.7 has chosen not to follow in 105.7's footsteps and will continue to provide an entertaining morning show.

Now, 95.7 just needs to work on its boring playlist.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

DanaMarshall

Curtis Gone At WLHT

Post by DanaMarshall » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:The last couple times I've been in town, WLHT's playlist has sounded like shit. I was surprised by how bad the music sounded. Far too many slow, boring songs!

Their spring book was a bit on the soft side, ratings wise. Would not surprise me if summer book is even worse.

Rumor has it Clownsquare is for sale. I suspect they'll look for opportunities to cut personnel wherever possible. Quietly, Magic 104.9 cut their local midday jock earlier this summer (Program Director Lee Stephens now covers middays; the syndicated Michael Baisden show now airs in the afternoon).
Man...you will just hate on any Townsquare station. Do you feel wronged by the company in some way? You've insulted my work as well as the work of some great people I know.

~Dana Marshall
I stand behind my name because I stand behind my words. Never anonymous.

DanaMarshall

Post by DanaMarshall » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Holmes wrote:
handbanana wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Man, I dont say a lot on this board but what the f*** kind of a**hole comes on here saying some sh*t like this?
Live PD Meth Edition?
I'm sure you're a shining example of beauty and awesome as you hide behind a bullsh*t name talking sh*t about others.
Good luck Connie & Fish, you'll do fine. F**k this dumb ass.
Well said!

~Dana Marshall
I stand behind my name because I stand behind my words. Never anonymous.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:03 pm

You're wrong regarding my remarks, Dana.

You apparently forget about my positive posts and only remember my critical ones.

Over the past couple years, I've complimented WFGR, WLHT, and Magic 104.9 in G.R. on multiple occasions when warranted. Even your K102.5! Yes, I'm not a big fan of 103.3 or 107 7. I think LAV is a superior classic rocker and I wish 103.3 sounded more like Lansing's 97.5 - a great CHR owned by Townsquare.

If I criticize a station for declining ratings, issuing a press release that appears written by a high school drop out, cutting budget, or replacing local air talent with a national show (as WNWZ has recently done) I'm being "negative." OK. To each their own, I guess. I would contend the issue that gave rise to my criticism is the negative component as opposed to the criticism.

I thought LHT music wise sounded not as good as usual the last couple times I visited town. For most part, the music has been spot on the past few years. I hope what I heard over the past 90 days is a blip and nothing more. By no means am I rooting for this station are any Townsquare station to fail; the complete opposite is true.

I lauded WLHT for hiring Connie and Curtis in the first place and am at least glad to see Curtis is being succeeded by someone equally as capable.

And, yes, TSQ's directors have reportedly engaged an investment bank to explore strategic alternatives. That could mean anything from spinning off the events business, taking the company private, or selling the whole enchilada. It's possible nothing will come of it, too.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 pm

And for the record, the insults someone posted earlier about Connie were in very poor taste. I completely agree with you about that, Dana.

Connie is a talented broadcaster and I'm glad that she is still at WLHT.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Holmes wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 am
Live PD Meth Edition?
Come on Holmes, I've heard you say worse about better people many times when I was in Grand Rapids.

It was a joke, but seriously, this is the introduction to the audience? No one told the new guy to wash his greasy mullet or told Connie to loosen up her bleach bun so it's not pulling her face so tight. This is still show business, and this part of the show was not a good look.

No one in Grand Rapids knows who this guy is, they just know that the talent that they've invested in and built a relationship with is gone, and they're not happy. Take a quick look at their FB page, the West Michigan audience is upset and many believe Connie had something to do with Curtis getting the boot. That's a problem when you have a female audience as they tend to turn quicker on female talents.

Will this show work? Maybe, but again, the other show was working, why would they change that dynamic? There's more to this story.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 am

"This is the best of Connie & Curtis" sweepers are still loaded into 95.7's automation computer. Heard one a minute ago. Very sloppy on 95.7's part!!

nick4bty

Post by nick4bty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Any word on how ratings have been for this? I've only listened a handful of times since Fish came on board and he's so awful it's almost hard to believe. This show lost every spark it had when Curtis left, still don't understand the reason for the switchup

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

I only heard Fish a couple times. He seems too abrasive (and foul mouthed) for a station whose listening audience largely consists of women at work. Actually sounds like someone who'd fit better on a rock or CHR/Rhythmic station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic