Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

B-93 Birthday Bash Changes On The Way

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

B-93 Birthday Bash Changes On The Way

Post by Localnewsisdead » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am

iHeart announced that Birthday Bash will be one day only, and will take place at the Fifth Third Ballpark on June 2, 2018.

Also this will no longer be a "free" event. Tickets will start at $34 and parking will cost $10 per vehicle.

http://fox17online.com/2017/10/12/b-93- ... ash-event/

Biff

Re: B-93 Birthday Bash Changes On The Way

Post by Biff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

Wouldn't that be sad and yet amusing if there was a massive rain that resulted in the river flooding over?
Happy trees and happy clouds.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am

If it is to make the front page of the B93 website, it appears it is up to Conrad to put it there. It was on the station's Facebook page, but the post was not pinned to the top. On Twitter, the Bash announcement info is well placed.

Not enough people around the office to do the social media job thoroughly, perhaps.

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm

From the Fox17 link above:
The gates will open at noon and the celebration will commence around 10 p.m. with a firework display.
Hmm... commence around 10 pm huh? Seems like it's going to be a pretty short concert then. And odd that they are opening the gates 10 hours before the event starts. I guess they're hoping for a lot of concession sales during that time.

:blink

grsportsguy

Post by grsportsguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

This thing gets lamer every year.

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

.........RADIO.....>> Sad.

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Catastrophic Floods, Shut Down Highways, Drunk Drivers, Angry Sheriffs: Nothing can hurt Birthday Bash.

Detroit Management: Hold My Beer
In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Is it any surprise to anyone that this is happening? I don't think bash really made much... if any money (anyone know?). I recently saw tread comparing sales to past years. If sales are down that much you have to trim all that off the budget. I guess they do the ball field for a while, and eventually stop that too. Too bad.

Anyone know why LAV stopped the river raft thing?

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:37 pm

I believe LAV stopped the raft race after the last one in 1981 due to not wanting to open themselves up for the possibility of being sued. In that last race in '81 with way too many intoxicated/high people in the river, they had one near drowning and one person with a neck injury causing paralysis. The raft race was also a pain in the ass to most of the residents in the area. My parents lived about 1 block from riverside park, and on race day you couldn't leave or get back into the neighborhood, due to people parking anywhere they could find, including blocking peoples driveways, in their driveways, on their lawns, etc. Not to mention lots of people stopping to take a piss on your lawn.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 am

I would love to know...

...did iFart turn away outside media from last year's event? Saw no coverage from MLive, WOOD-TV, WXMI or WZZM.

None of the pics on B93's web site or Facebook page showed the crowd in attendance.

Attendance must've been ABYSMAL for what was the silver anniversary of the Birthday Bash.

Now that the event is in GR's backyard, attendance should be much healthier this coming summer, even though admission to the concert itself is no longer free. At least B93 is still doing a concert this coming year; 98KCQ in Saginaw scrapped their annul event entirely.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Although this was a free event, $34 and parking are reasonable but they should have some bigger names. Honestly the acts they've been having wouldn't be worth $34 to see, IMO. Fifth Third Ballpark seems like a good change and basically on the outskirts of Grand Rapids proper.

As for the 98KCQ Country Music Fest, that too was on the decline. I don't think that was necessarily their fault but what has been coming out of Nashville lately is pretty much sub-par.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am

From a pure marketing angle, I would have made the price point for Bash tickets $26, as that's the number of years it has been around. Gives you a way to promote the heritage, while softening the blow, if $34 is a decision-making price for any potential "goer."

uncleducky

Post by uncleducky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:12 pm

131 was not making any money after their expenses was taking that B93 gave them . So 131 pull out of their 4 years they had left on the contract.

uncleducky

Post by uncleducky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:14 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 pm

As for the 98KCQ Country Music Fest, that too was on the decline. I don't think that was necessarily their fault but what has been coming out of Nashville lately is pretty much sub-par.
98 was not making any money on their event.

XMTRNUT

Post by XMTRNUT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 pm

It'll just mean a little less Pabst Blue Ribbon and pork rinds for their listeners!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic