Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Sinclair aquires Tribune including Fox 17

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
brianbcomedy

Re: Sinclair aquires Tribune including Fox 17

Post by brianbcomedy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am

Check out this story that was on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Local news should not be about cheap scare mongering or advancing a political agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:54 pm
WWMT bills more than WXMI and has the better of the two network affiliations (CBS > FOX). Don't be fooled that just because WXMI is based in GR that it is somehow worth more than WWMT.

My prediction is that WXMI will either be "sold" to Cunningham Broadcasting, or it will be sold to a truly arms-length third party.

I do not believe Sinclair could simply strip the FOX affiliation from WXMI and, say, move it to 3.2. WXMI has a long-term affiliation agreement with the FOX network.
Based on recent articles of Sinclair's real desire, they value stockpiling as many Fox affiliates as possible for more shrewd negotiating power with Fox in the long run. To say Channel 3 makes x amount of $ more than 17 is really small potatoes and less relevant to Sinclair in comparison to their bigger aspirations. They didn't become the most powerful company in local television by holding on to slightly more profitable stations in market 43.

Michigan Media

Post by Michigan Media » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:07 am

Going back to my previous post about the 39% national ownership cap… Sinclair might want to retain WXMI and spin off WWMT because of the UHF discount. WWMT accounts for 0.619% of the national ownership cap while WXMI would only account for half as much (0.3095%).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 am

You both make compelling points and mention some factors I failed to consider.

Is having a FOX affiliation in market #40-something more strategically important than holding onto a more profitable CBS station? My gut feeling is "no," but I could be mistaken.

The national ownership cap methodology is interesting. It also bears noting that WMXI's over-the-air reach (in this cord cutting era) is superior to that of WWMT. WXMI is the only full power station that also happens to have translators (and fairly strong ones at that) serving both Muskegon/Grand Haven and Kalamazoo. I'm not sure if the Battle Creek one ever made it to air.

If I were Sinclair, I'd move WWMT's programming to the technical facilities of WXMI but retain the WWMT branding, licensing, etc.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:57 am

brianbcomedy wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am
Check out this story that was on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Local news should not be about cheap scare mongering or advancing a political agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc

This is an important watch on the shit show known as Sinclair!!!!! Better take a moment to watch because they are some cocksuckers.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Looks like Fox & ION maybe teaming up to thwart Sinclair guess that Sinclair & Fox deal is up sometime this year so Fox is threating to end there deal with Sinclair. Plus Fox doesn't want Sinclair to have leverage in the talks taking away Fox on 14 Tribune stations be odd not to see WXMI not having Fox or Fox17 brand been with them since 87 30 years of having Fox.

I think if I were Fox buy the 14 ION stations make them Fox O&O's or try and talk with other stations in the market like in West Michigan only use WZPX as last resort try to talk with Nexstar flipping WOTV from ABC to Fox or TEGNA WZZM just my opinion. Bloomberg is reporting on Fox & ION teaming up.
Last edited by MasterB on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Here's the Bloomberg article in question:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... v-stations

WZPX is more or less a dual market station. The folks at WSYM in Lansing I'm sure would be mad as hell if by some stroke of magic, FOX were to end up on WZPX!!!

Such a scenario would also SUCK for cordless viewers along & west of US-131. WZPX's over the air signal is unreliable in those areas, even with outdoor antennas in some cases.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm
Looks like Fox & ION maybe teaming up to thwart Sinclair guess that Sinclair & Fox deal is up sometime this year so Fox is threating to end there deal with Sinclair. Plus Fox doesn't want Sinclair to have leverage in the talks taking away Fox on 14 Tribune stations be odd not to see WXMI not having Fox or Fox17 brand been with them since 87 30 years of having Fox.

I think if I were Fox buy the 14 ION stations make them Fox O&O's or try and talk with other stations in the market like in West Michigan only use WZPX as last resort try to talk with Nexstar flipping WOTV from ABC to Fox or TEGNA WZZM just my opinion. Bloomberg is reporting on Fox & ION teaming up.
WZZM would NOT want to go FOX as then they'd be screwed out of some of their coverage area. More likely would be WXMI becoming a FOX O&O.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:33 pm

WZZM would NOT want to go FOX as then they'd be screwed out of some of their coverage area. More likely would be WXMI becoming a FOX O&O.
I presume you are referring to the counties along US-10. You honestly think any station in the West Michigan television markets gives a rat's ass about the counties along the US-10 corridor when making affiliation decisions?

Not ONE PENNY of advertising revenue comes from that region (other than maybe one or two tourism-oriented businesses looking to target viewers who live in the Grand Rapids area).

Viewership along US-10 has zero bearing on ratings performance in the G.R. - K'zoo - B.C. market and has zero bearing on ad revenue.

FOX treats its affiliates like shit whereas ABC is loyal, so that's definitely something to think about. However, all else equal, an exclusive FOX affiliation would be more lucrative - at least in my eyes - than a split ABC affiliation.

With FOX, WZZM would not have to worry about another in-market station (a la WOTV) splintering prime time viewership.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm

BTW, given the fact Sinclair will need to divest one of its two West Michigan stations, I think what happens on a national stage won't have a ton of bearing locally.

Sinclair will simply flip WXMI to someone else.

Prediction - WWMT will stay in Sinclair's hands; WXMI will continue to enjoy an affiliation with FOX with an owner other than Sinclair.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 am

MWmetalhead wrote:BTW, given the fact Sinclair will need to divest one of its two West Michigan stations, I think what happens on a national stage won't have a ton of bearing locally.

Sinclair will simply flip WXMI to someone else.

Prediction - WWMT will stay in Sinclair's hands; WXMI will continue to enjoy an affiliation with FOX with an owner other than Sinclair.
I don't know man, that Fox affiliation is what they're after. Did you see what Sinclair did to WSJV in South Bend? We have a nameless Fox now smattered on WSBT 22.2, just so they could have more Fox power.

This article doles out some of the reasoning: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... ion-values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 am

Why would they risk going to war with the FOX network on a national level? Very bad move from a business standpoint.

WSJV was a failing station in a small market; I do not think these two situations are analogous.

KOMO in Seattle seems to be doing just fine, I might add:
http://komonews.com/archive/komo-domina ... ngs-in-may

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm

There is an objection on the sale to Sinclair because ERI Antennas will sell fewer antennas because Sinclair bought Dielectric Antenna AFTER they announced they were going out business...

What a bunch of Gobbleygook bought and paid for by ERI...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Another side view of what's taking place:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... r-local-tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Another silly piece of writing...

Where does 90% of the programming come from on Sinclair stations? Oh that's right...MSM.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic