Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Cumulus Looking for Sales Help, Figuratively and Literally

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Cumulus Looking for Sales Help, Figuratively and Literally

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I hear Rich Berry doing come-on promos for the five Cumulus Radio stations, a Sales Manager looking for new reps to sell what the cluster offers.

It's going on throughout their corporation, apparently, since this article highlights the CEO challenging staffers to scare up some new business...

http://nypost.com/2017/03/10/cumulus-ce ... ales-help/

48125er

Re: Cumulus Looking for Sales Help, Figuratively and Literally

Post by 48125er » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

I wouldn't work for cumuless or ifart if you put a gun to my head.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Is there any money in a gig like this? Seriously, what is the job really like. I don't want it, but always been curious what the gig is?

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 am

No future at any of these places. Why would you want to work and two of the biggest media failures in history? Both are so loaded with debt and dysfucntion. Can you imagine coming on as a new sales rep - and asked to setup a remote, and then you realize there is no equipment, no promotion staff, a crappy boombox, some cheap plastic banners and movie passes to celebration cinema for a movie that will only be there a few weeks. Boy, I bet the client will be thrilled. Oh, that's right, and we'll take 20% of the talent fee for the company's "administrative fee"

learn to fly

Post by learn to fly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am

Talent? Unless the morning show is live and they are going out, you get a couple interns, a part time jock, and the sales guy.

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am

Back in the glory days I was broadcasting live my entire shift at three regular gigs every week for two years. I was never in the studio. In addition to making the station a ton of money my talent fees totaled $750.00 cash per week. Banners everywhere, dozen CD's, dozen shirts, dozen movie passes, always concert tix.min. for giveaways. Big ticket items thrown in randomly.....Xbox, Tv's, Signed shit!!! Always two to three interns on site. It was a presence. Non stop promos running throughout the day and the listeners always showed up and spent money. I remember my program director said if you want to secure your shift we have to start turning money and that is exactly what we did. We did most of the legwork.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Is there any money in it now?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am

When I did remotes back in the day, standard talent fees were around $100. When you're pulling a $250/week salary, an extra C-note for a Sunday afternoon remote was a big deal. The PD would divvy up the appearances so everyone got a piece of the pie. The biggest challenge was setting up the MARTI equipment and insuring a decent signal back to the station. Usually not a problem with an outdoor remote, but sometimes sometimes we had no choice but to mast the antenna inside the location and hope for the best. Malls were the worst - lots of reinforced concrete and fluorescent lights. Then there were the outlying locations where it was iffy even with and outdoor setup. Still, well worth the check.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic