Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Fall 2016 - DISASTROUS book for WBBL!!!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Fall 2016 - DISASTROUS book for WBBL!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:41 pm

ESPN 96.1 on the strength of its new afternoon show beats WBBL by a 2:1 margin for the week!!!

In demo, ESPN 96.1 in PM Drive defeated WBBL by a 5.2 to 3.3 margin! (Source: Mr. Henson's Twitter feed.)

Whenever 96.1 has featured a quality host in afternoon drive, much more often than not they have defeated WBBL in that daypart. I believe the 1.3 share (AQH, 12+) earned for the week in the Fall 2016 book by WBBL ties their all-time lowest book since moving to the FM dial nearly eight years ago.

Other notables:
--Strong book for both WLAV and WSNX (will be interesting to see if changing morning shows will hurt WSNX' overall numbers in the coming year)
--Decent rises for Star 105.7 and 100.5 The River thanks to Christmas music
--B93 saw a nice rebound from its soft summer book and is once again #1 by a wide margin
--ESPN 96.1 had its best book in probably a few years; WBBL had one of its worst books ever on FM.
--Few people have found Magic 104.9. New station, new frequency for the market. That means prior to a few months ago, NO ONE in Metro Grand Rapids had 104.9 FM as a preset. Townsquare is out of its mind if it's not engaging in any mass marketing efforts for this new station. The market is about 7.5% African American. To come up with a meager 0.9 share is just ABYSMAL!!! The station should have at least triple the AQH share.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb127

In closing, if I were Cumulus, I'd move my CHR brand to 107.3 MHz immediately, add a local personality at night (say, from 7p to midnight), and pump the living hell out of the fact that Hot-FM's morning show broadcasts from Grand Rapids, not Detroit. WSNX's shaky signal due to G.R.'s hilly terrain has always been a potential competitive disadvantage for them. The fact Cumulus isn't exploiting that is sheer stupidity.

Move WBBL to 105.3 MHz and call it a day.

Eric Zane screwed up by making his show a (name removed by request) ass kissing marathon. A lot of people gave his show a test run last spring; he was unable to retain many of those listeners.

The Spartans' horrible football season didn't help BBL's cause, either.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Fall 2016 - DISASTROUS book for WBBL!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Gregg Henson's Twitter feed is pretty entertaining, btw.

https://twitter.com/GreggHenson
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

hankrotten

Post by hankrotten » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 am

What the heck happened to WJQK?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 am

They stopped subscribing.

If you mean their ratings per prior books - WCSG's product and signal are far superior. 'Nuff said. 99.3 is irrelevant outside of Ottawa County. Christian music listeners in 2017 do not want CHR-style stationality.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:48 am

The trend has been downward, so It simply may be pointless to buy it and give it to the sales staff.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Zane's anchor was and always will be Real Big. Move WBBL, keep Zane and dump the large one.

Biff

Post by Biff » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:53 pm

This is interesting. People I work with and people I talk to who used to listen to FBHW have made the switch to EZ. No one I know listens to FBHW anymore.

The same is true about Fat Head. I don't know anyone who listens to him. It might be that I am in a certain demographic and am surrounded by like-minded real sports enthusiasts.

The complaint about the EZ show I most often hear is in regards to Fat Head's appearances on his show.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Speaking of FB&HW, have they lost any stations in the last year

I imagine FBHWs ratings have taken a dump in the last year, almost down with billy's.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm

48125er wrote:Speaking of FB&HW, have they lost any stations in the last year

I imagine FBHWs ratings have taken a dump in the last year, almost down with billy's.
I can't listen to it anymore at all. It has become the "let's hear Joe talk snow"

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Even Tony Gates and loudmouth michelle are more tolerable than FB&HW nowadays, probably even surpassed them.
Last edited by 48125er on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:21 pm

That's possible in some demos; LAV's numbers as a whole are strong.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Jumped into the car after a sales call and had been listening to Jim Rome while driving to the meeting about a week after Baligian's stint covering tfor the vacationing host.

The host went on for about 2 minutes about thanking the listeners, how he appreciates them and asking them to tell their friends about the show. It sounded odd, awkward and a bit desperate for a guy who's been in the same time slot for over a decade.
Last edited by OneBigFan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm

nm
Last edited by OneBigFan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:25 pm

St. Louis Dave wrote:Zane's anchor was and always will be Real Big. Move WBBL, keep Zane and dump the large one.
I agree. He will lose his job in 2017.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Here's what I would do:

Swap the signals for Hot FM and WBBL, so Hot FM ends up on 107.3 and WBBL ends up on 105.3.

WBBL should dump Yuge and go national in that slot, especially if the ratings gap between them and 96.1 continues to grow. Eric Zane should remain in mornings.

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 am

I listened to Billy yesterday for about 20-30 minutes 'cause 96.1 had a national feed. When I started listened, I got commercials... oh well, that's free radio, so whatever... then Billy came on and for the next three-four minutes did all his promos about Brann's, AutoValue, and Mercy Health (which he stumbled over a lot... probably just not enough practice with the right lingo now that Mercy is part of UofM).

Then was an interview with a Lions beat writer... decent enough interview, nothing special, but not bad at all.

Right after that was more promos about Branns mixed in with the topic of the day (Good and Bad about the NFL, Good and Bad about Michigan's BBall win, Good and Bad about MSU's BBall lose, Good and Bad about WMU's coaching hire).

Then Commercials.

After that was more promos about Brann's AutoValue, and Mercy Heath again. And then he talked about the topic of the day again (Good and Bad about the NFL, Good and Bad about Michigan's BBall win, Good and Bad about MSU's BBall lose, Good and Bad about WMU's coaching hire).

Next he read tweets about the person who said his show sucked and tweets responding to that. Finally took a caller for a while.

After the call it was back to Brann's promos about all their locations and why you should go there for all the NFL games, etc. etc. etc... Then to real commercials.

At that point I turned it off.

It wasn't that his content was bad this time, it was decent enough for sports radio. The problem was the amount of content! Commercials I can live with, but when 25% of the non-commercial content is Billy reading commercials and another 10% is him talking about whether his show sucks or doesn't suck, it's just not enjoyable.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 pm

RedRamage wrote:I listened to Billy yesterday for about 20-30 minutes 'cause 96.1 had a national feed. When I started listened, I got commercials... oh well, that's free radio, so whatever... then Billy came on and for the next three-four minutes did all his promos about Brann's, AutoValue, and Mercy Health (which he stumbled over a lot... probably just not enough practice with the right lingo now that Mercy is part of UofM).

Then was an interview with a Lions beat writer... decent enough interview, nothing special, but not bad at all.

Right after that was more promos about Branns mixed in with the topic of the day (Good and Bad about the NFL, Good and Bad about Michigan's BBall win, Good and Bad about MSU's BBall lose, Good and Bad about WMU's coaching hire).

Then Commercials.

After that was more promos about Brann's AutoValue, and Mercy Heath again. And then he talked about the topic of the day again (Good and Bad about the NFL, Good and Bad about Michigan's BBall win, Good and Bad about MSU's BBall lose, Good and Bad about WMU's coaching hire).

Next he read tweets about the person who said his show sucked and tweets responding to that. Finally took a caller for a while.

After the call it was back to Brann's promos about all their locations and why you should go there for all the NFL games, etc. etc. etc... Then to real commercials.

At that point I turned it off.

It wasn't that his content was bad this time, it was decent enough for sports radio. The problem was the amount of content! Commercials I can live with, but when 25% of the non-commercial content is Billy reading commercials and another 10% is him talking about whether his show sucks or doesn't suck, it's just not enjoyable.
THIS!

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 am

St. Louis Dave wrote: THIS!
Many years ago my bother and I were at my parents garage sale discussing the show... had to have been at least 5-7 years ago. While we were talking about it a customer wandered up and said something that I thought was spot on accurate:

His show is like a Magazine: 5 pages of ads for every 1 page of article.

Look, every magazine needs to have ads just like every show needs to have commercials and sponsorships... it how it's paid for. But when the level of commercial is THAT much higher than the level of content... it doesn't matter how good the show is (or isn't), it just isn't worth listening to.

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 am

St. Louis Dave wrote: THIS!
Many years ago my bother and I were at my parents garage sale discussing the show... had to have been at least 5-7 years ago. While we were talking about it a customer wandered up and said something that I thought was spot on accurate:

His show is like a Magazine: 5 pages of ads for every 1 page of article.

Look, every magazine needs to have ads just like every show needs to have commercials and sponsorships... it how it's paid for. But when the level of commercial is THAT much higher than the level of content... it doesn't matter how good the show is (or isn't), it just isn't worth listening to.

St. Louis Dave

Post by St. Louis Dave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 am

The large one can have good content. I like some of the interviews he has done. When real big asks a question of a guest and then shuts up to LISTEN to the answer, the show has redeeming qualities of decent content. Problem is, the extra sized guy likes to hear himself talk. Let the guests and callers be the show, and let him of sizable proportion be the ring leader. And yes, WAY to much advertisement and promotion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic