Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 9:45a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

ESPN 96.1 on the strength of its new afternoon show beats WBBL by a 2:1 margin for the week!!!

In demo, ESPN 96.1 in PM Drive defeated WBBL by a 5.2 to 3.3 margin! (Source: Mr. Henson's Twitter feed.)

Whenever 96.1 has featured a quality host in afternoon drive, much more often than not they have defeated WBBL in that daypart. I believe the 1.3 share (AQH, 12+) earned for the week in the Fall 2016 book by WBBL ties their all-time lowest book since moving to the FM dial nearly eight years ago.

Other notables:
--Strong book for both WLAV and WSNX (will be interesting to see if changing morning shows will hurt WSNX' overall numbers in the coming year)
--Decent rises for Star 105.7 and 100.5 The River thanks to Christmas music
--B93 saw a nice rebound from its soft summer book and is once again #1 by a wide margin
--ESPN 96.1 had its best book in probably a few years; WBBL had one of its worst books ever on FM.
--Few people have found Magic 104.9. New station, new frequency for the market. That means prior to a few months ago, NO ONE in Metro Grand Rapids had 104.9 FM as a preset. Townsquare is out of its mind if it's not engaging in any mass marketing efforts for this new station. The market is about 7.5% African American. To come up with a meager 0.9 share is just ABYSMAL!!! The station should have at least triple the AQH share.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb127

In closing, if I were Cumulus, I'd move my CHR brand to 107.3 MHz immediately, add a local personality at night (say, from 7p to midnight), and pump the living hell out of the fact that Hot-FM's morning show broadcasts from Grand Rapids, not Detroit. WSNX's shaky signal due to G.R.'s hilly terrain has always been a potential competitive disadvantage for them. The fact Cumulus isn't exploiting that is sheer stupidity.

Move WBBL to 105.3 MHz and call it a day.

Eric Zane screwed up by making his show a (name removed by request) ass kissing marathon. A lot of people gave his show a test run last spring; he was unable to retain many of those listeners.

The Spartans' horrible football season didn't help BBL's cause, either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Gregg Henson's Twitter feed is pretty entertaining, btw.

https://twitter.com/GreggHenson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:27 am 

What the heck happened to WJQK?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 am 
Site Admin

They stopped subscribing.

If you mean their ratings per prior books - WCSG's product and signal are far superior. 'Nuff said. 99.3 is irrelevant outside of Ottawa County. Christian music listeners in 2017 do not want CHR-style stationality.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 am 

The trend has been downward, so It simply may be pointless to buy it and give it to the sales staff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:32 pm 

Zane's anchor was and always will be Real Big. Move WBBL, keep Zane and dump the large one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm 

This is interesting. People I work with and people I talk to who used to listen to FBHW have made the switch to EZ. No one I know listens to FBHW anymore.

The same is true about Fat Head. I don't know anyone who listens to him. It might be that I am in a certain demographic and am surrounded by like-minded real sports enthusiasts.

The complaint about the EZ show I most often hear is in regards to Fat Head's appearances on his show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 am 

Speaking of FB&HW, have they lost any stations in the last year

I imagine FBHWs ratings have taken a dump in the last year, almost down with billy's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

48125er wrote:
Speaking of FB&HW, have they lost any stations in the last year

I imagine FBHWs ratings have taken a dump in the last year, almost down with billy's.

I can't listen to it anymore at all. It has become the "let's hear Joe talk snow"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:59 pm 

Even Tony Gates and loudmouth michelle are more tolerable than FB&HW nowadays, probably even surpassed them.

Last edited by 48125er on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

That's possible in some demos; LAV's numbers as a whole are strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 pm 

Jumped into the car after a sales call and had been listening to Jim Rome while driving to the meeting about a week after Baligian's stint covering tfor the vacationing host.

The host went on for about 2 minutes about thanking the listeners, how he appreciates them and asking them to tell their friends about the show. It sounded odd, awkward and a bit desperate for a guy who's been in the same time slot for over a decade.

Last edited by OneBigFan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 pm 

nm

Last edited by OneBigFan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:25 pm 

St. Louis Dave wrote:
Zane's anchor was and always will be Real Big. Move WBBL, keep Zane and dump the large one.

I agree. He will lose his job in 2017.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:36 pm 

Here's what I would do:

Swap the signals for Hot FM and WBBL, so Hot FM ends up on 107.3 and WBBL ends up on 105.3.

WBBL should dump Yuge and go national in that slot, especially if the ratings gap between them and 96.1 continues to grow. Eric Zane should remain in mornings.