Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Charters ranked as third worst in U.S.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan Charters ranked as third worst in U.S.

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:24 am

It's time for better accountability as predatory organizations have moved profit ahead of results. Do we really need another generation of under educated citizens in Michigan? Just keep in mind, any complaints about the public system, Charters are worse...
The Michigan State Board of Education is asking lawmakers to enact legislation that will increase financial transparency in Michigan’s charter schools.

The action, introduced by state school board member Dr. Mitchell Robinson, calls for a number of reforms to be implemented, including the eventual phasing out of for-profit charter management organizations.

“While the original notion of charter schools as laboratories of innovation came from teachers unions, that purpose has now largely been lost to predatory for-profit charter management organizations,” said Robinson, an associate professor of music education at Michigan State University. “I’ve studied the effects of the unfettered proliferation of charter schools in Michigan over the last 10-plus years. I see no evidence of innovation in the charter sector, and I believe it’s time for much stricter oversight and accountability measures for the existing charter schools in our state.”

Charter schools, also called public school academies, are publicly funded and operate under a charter contract issued by a public authorizing body, such as a university, community college or local public school district. One way they differ from traditional public schools is that members of charter school boards are appointed by the authorizer, as opposed to being elected by local voters.

According to a news release, the resolution is the result of increasing concerns by state school board members about national efforts to privatize public education, and give private and appointed boards, religious organizations, and for-profit corporations more of a say in public education.

The resolution also notes there are 285 charter school districts in Michigan that are responsible for 363 charter schools.

In remarks Tuesday, state Superintendent Michael Rice asked, “Are charter schools providing a better academic opportunity? The research on charter schools does not reflect that. There are some studies that suggest that they have lightly improved. There are others that say not. There are some people that argue that the methodology around some of those studies is flawed. I’m one of those people.”

A report card issued last year ranked student performance in reading and math on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP, between 2009 and 2019. It was the first time that charter school performance across states was based on a single set of nationally administered standardized tests.

Michigan charter schools overall fared poorly, ranked as third worst in the nation, 31.1% below the national average.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Round Six

Re: Michigan Charters ranked as third worst in U.S.

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:18 pm

It would add transparency and accountability if they were elected by the parents of enrollees.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:18 pm
It would add transparency and accountability if they were elected by the parents of enrollees.
That's not who lobby's for Charters. It's about profit.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Does the Charter's survey take into account the quality level of the students, that are enrolling?

If they take students that were failing in regular schools, they might be doing a great service!

On the other hand, take all of cream of the crop out public schools send them to Charter's then results would off the charts.

Maybe we should think about that...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:34 pm

The data suggests different results than your fantasy.
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:47 pm
Does the Charter's survey take into account the quality level of the students, that are enrolling?

If they take students that were failing in regular schools, they might be doing a great service!

On the other hand, take all of cream of the crop out public schools send them to Charter's then results would off the charts.

Maybe we should think about that...
Based on the ones I know, the bulk are kids that got expelled from a public school.

I don't have any data gleaned from sitting in front of a screen perusing website after website until I find one that supports my viewpoint. Just what I have seen in the real world.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm

maybe it's not about the schools as much as it is about the kids that attend those schools.... or more precisely, the parents of the kids that attend those schools

a lot of uncomfortable topics to discuss when it comes to "charter schools"

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 pm

billmich88888 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm
maybe it's not about the schools as much as it is about the kids that attend those schools.... or more precisely, the parents of the kids that attend those schools

Maybe we should stop grading the kids and start grading the parents! YOUR kid doesn't graduate, then YOU don't qualify for SS, or something like that. And we'd have to go back to science to tie BOTH parents to the kids, via DNA. That might made "absent" parents much more interested in their kids' success in school and have more of an interest in who actually gets custody too.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:05 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 pm
billmich88888 wrote:

Maybe we should stop grading the kids and start grading the parents! YOUR kid doesn't graduate, then YOU don't qualify for SS, or something like that. And we'd have to go back to science to tie BOTH parents to the kids, via DNA. That might made "absent" parents much more interested in their kids' success in school and have more of an interest in who actually gets custody too.
There are definitely people who shouldn't be near kids. Forcing them via DNA to be around those kids would have tragic results. Do you know how many addicted people end up abusing children?
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:08 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:05 pm
km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 pm
billmich88888 wrote:

There are definitely people who shouldn't be near kids. Forcing them via DNA to be around those kids would have tragic results. Do you know how many addicted people end up abusing children?
No one said they had to be around the kids. Who gets custody still needs to be determined and I'm sure they take an addiction seriously when making those decisions.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:08 pm
No one said they had to be around the kids. Who gets custody still needs to be determined and I'm sure they take an addiction seriously when making those decisions.
Who is "They"

Since the Republicans slashed the ddhs budget in Michigan, agents barely keep up with serious situations these days. I've seen meth heads keep their kids. Only if there is verified physical abuse does the state have the ability to get involved.
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 pm
km1125 wrote:
Who is "They"

Since the Republicans slashed the ddhs budget in Michigan, agents barely keep up with serious situations these days. I've seen meth heads keep their kids. Only if there is verified physical abuse does the state have the ability to get involved.
So two meth-heads have a baby... what you DO propose we do?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 pm
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Who is "They"

We as in society?

The cheapest way to solve this is have a court ordered addiction treatment and counciling.

Ignoring the situation will cost society much more.
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm
km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 pm
TC Talks wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Who is "They"

We as in society?

The cheapest way to solve this is have a court ordered addiction treatment and counciling.

Ignoring the situation will cost society much more.
What happens to the kid?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 pm

When court appointed rehabilitation occurs with addicted parents, usually a family member takes care of the child. Once rehab is done, family counciling helps the parents learn how to raise a kid.

Foster care isn't a functional program due to lack of foster parents in Michigan.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic