Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Guaranteed Income Starts in Flint

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Guaranteed Income Starts in Flint

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:26 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:58 am
bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:24 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:42 pm
As far as ending Poverty, you clearly haven't found faith yet.
I'm not suggesting that helping those in need is not a worthy goal. What I'm saying is that "ending" poverty is an unrealistic one.
Goals aren't achieved when you don't target the ultimate finish line. There are several countries that have ended poverty. They did it by making it a priority and they didn't quit until the goal was met. Anything else is marginal. Are you marginal?

For most, it was an economic strategy. Do you know what the cost of poverty is for a society?
When you claim that several countries have ended poverty, what definition of poverty are you using exactly? The US definition of $14,580 a year, or the World Bank definition of "extreme" poverty being at a mere $694 per year? There's a wide gulf between those two definitions.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:48 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:58 am
There are several countries that have ended poverty.
Give me a list. Back it up or you are fabricating fake facts.
I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:19 am

Poverty and the associated safety net can make stats confusing. So a country with low poverty and no safety net is worse than moderate poverty with an adequate safety net. In some models, the measurement is a look at poverty irregardless of a safety net. I look at poverty rates adjusted with the safety net.

The second way to look at this is via a universal scale (those making less than $2.25 a day) vs The percentage of the population living below national poverty line (%) – poverty line deemed appropriate for a country by its authorities (which is not a great way, as China for example, has a zero poverty rate).

The World Bank's ranking is probably the most accurate method. Based on this, I would suggest these countries who have 0.01% poverty (effectively 0 poverty).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... in_poverty

Belgium
France
Ireland
Poland
Canada
Denmark
Norway

There are other countries that are really good, but these are the best. The US is quite a way down this ranking.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:27 pm

Wow do you ever love to play with numbers to fit your narrative. By the definition you've set forth here -ie, 0.01% being effectively 0 percent, the number of people who freeze to death in the US every year is effectively 0.

Setting that aside, even though you didn't directly answer my question, it appears as though you're going with the definition of "extreme" poverty as opposed to a nation's poverty line.

Even using the least worst version of extreme poverty ($2500/year), the best country on the list is Finland, and even they have over 5,000 people who are living on less than $2500 per year. However, when looking at Finland's country-defined poverty line (I can't seem to find exactly what that number is), their poverty rate is 12.7% of the population, or about 680,000 people.

So your suggestion that some countries have completely eliminated poverty is preposterous.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:27 pm
the number of people who freeze to death in the US every year is effectively 0.
So your suggestion that some countries have completely eliminated poverty is preposterous.
Stick to fixing computers. Sociology doesn't suit you.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:23 pm

I've asked you a simple question that you continue to refuse to answer. Below what income level do you define poverty?

You have a history of playing fast and loose with definitions and numbers, and this thread is no exception. So I'm simply trying to pin you down on exactly what you're claiming here.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:21 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:23 pm
I've asked you a simple question that you continue to refuse to answer. Below what income level do you define poverty?

You have a history of playing fast and loose with definitions and numbers, and this thread is no exception. So I'm simply trying to pin you down on exactly what you're claiming here.
See my lengthy reply above. I addressed this already.
― Noam Chomsky

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 am

I would rather see money go to the poor than antisemitic ivy league endowments. I would rather see parents get the option of collecting the public school money directly with a required annual test to prove proficiency. A mother of three would get around $18k which is a measley sum to a professional woman, but a large sum to a poor one who has a greater intere$t in her childs academic achievement.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:11 am

A1B1C1D1 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:09 am
I would rather see money go to the poor than antisemitic ivy league endowments. I would rather see parents get the option of collecting the public school money directly with a required annual test to prove proficiency. A mother of three would get around $18k which is a measley sum to a professional woman, but a large sum to a poor one who has a greater intere$t in her childs academic achievement.
Good lord.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 am

Seems to be working here....

[urlhttps://www.businessinsider.com/denver-basic-in ... rty-2024-1][/url]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic