Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MI lawmaker introduces homeless bill of rights

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Graham Wellington

MI lawmaker introduces homeless bill of rights

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:11 pm

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/mi ... of-rights/

Under this proposed law aimed to help the homeless, we would see, among other things:

The right for homeless to take steaming shits on our sidewalks

The right for homeless to set up shop outside of businesses, accosting and panhandling, driving customers aways and
eventually businesses

The right to set up shop in libraries and other public buildings, accosting other people, panhandling, and shitting wherever
they see fit.

Seeing the success San Francisco has had with taking this stance, Rep. Dievendorf is committed to see Michigan become another Progressive paradise.

Rate This

Re: MI lawmaker introduces homeless bill of rights

Post by Rate This » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:33 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:11 pm

Under this proposed law aimed to help the homeless, we would see, among other things:

The right for homeless to set up shop outside of businesses, accosting and panhandling, driving customers aways and
eventually businesses

The right to set up shop in libraries and other public buildings, accosting other people, panhandling, and shitting wherever
they see fit.

Seeing the success San Francisco has had with taking this stance, Rep. Dievendorf is committed to see Michigan become another Progressive paradise.
It doesn’t look like that’s the case at all…

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:33 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:

eventually businesses

they see fit.

"To use and move freely in public spaces including, public sidewalks, public parks, public transportation and public buildings"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am
Rate This wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

eventually businesses

they see fit.

"To use and move freely in public spaces including, public sidewalks, public parks, public transportation and public buildings"
So, the same rights any other citizen has? We need a law for this?

I built a homeless shelter once, and as part of this pursuit I had to have a series of community educational meetings. I was amazed how many ignorant people there are about the rights of every US citizen. To address Graham's obvious bias, let me share a few facts:

The number of violent criminals who are homeless is significantly below those that are housed.
The percentage of theft criminals who are homeless is also much lower than the percentage of homed thieves.
95% of crime that homeless are accused of are consider nuisance crime.
A majority of panhandlers are in housing.
You are without a doubt a bigot.

If this bill passed, there would be adequate bathroom facilities and places for the homeless to go, which would reduce your concerns. And I sure hope you don't claim to be a Christian, because your post would help you find a place in hell.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:46 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am
Rate This wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

eventually businesses

they see fit.

So, the same rights any other citizen has? We need a law for this?

I built a homeless shelter once, and as part of this pursuit I had to have a series of community educational meetings. I was amazed how many ignorant people there are about the rights of every US citizen. To address Graham's obvious bias, let me share a few facts:

The number of violent criminals who are homeless is significantly below those that are housed.
The percentage of theft criminals who are homeless is also much lower than the percentage of homed thieves.
95% of crime that homeless are accused of are consider nuisance crime.
A majority of panhandlers are in housing.
You are without a doubt a bigot.

If this bill passed, there would be adequate bathroom facilities and places for the homeless to go, which would reduce your concerns. And I sure hope you don't claim to be a Christian, because your post would help you find a place in hell.
How does this law help the homeless? It really does nothing to help, other than to affirm their current place in life and allow them to continue on that path.

I would say your post will help you on the path to hell. Homeless people are people, and this law only encourages and banishes them to life on the streets.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:46 am
How does this law help the homeless? It really does nothing to help, other than to affirm their current place in life and allow them to continue on that path.

I would say your post will help you on the path to hell. Homeless people are people, and this law only encourages and banishes them to life on the streets.
I agree that this only protects their rights. Housing and adequate funding for mental health services would be solutions. Are you suggesting that this is what the bill should include? Please don't give me the "pull themselves up by their boot straps" speech.
― Matt

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 am
Graham Wellington wrote:

I agree that this only protects their rights. Housing and adequate funding for mental health services would be solutions. Are you suggesting that this is what the bill should include? Please don't give me the "pull themselves up by their boot straps" speech.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Provide funding for housing, mental health services, education. Not this "bill of rights" that does none of that. It only affirms their right to continue on being homeless, and tries to justify it as some sort of noble situation.

Homeless people need our help. Not Democrats telling them that they can live on a sidewalk indefinitely and then patting themselves on the back for their humane treatment of the homeless.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:35 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 am
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Provide funding for housing, mental health services, education. Not this "bill of rights" that does none of that. It only affirms their right to continue on being homeless, and tries to justify it as some sort of noble situation.

Homeless people need our help. Not Democrats telling them that they can live on a sidewalk indefinitely and then patting themselves on the back for their humane treatment of the homeless.
This law is addressed specifically at police departments who are using nuisance laws to criminalize homelessness. If the police did their job there would be no need for this law. Are you willing to have some of your taxes go to support getting people into housing?
― Matt

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:41 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:35 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

Are you willing to have some of your taxes go to support getting people into housing?
Yes, 100%. Homelessness drags down quality of life for cities (**cough** San Francisco). Homeless people need assistance, and should never be banished to life on the streets.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:43 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:41 am
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

Are you willing to have some of your taxes go to support getting people into housing?
Yes, 100%. Homelessness drags down quality of life for cities (**cough** San Francisco). Homeless people need assistance, and should never be banished to life on the streets.
You are welcome to contact any and all elected officials in our state.

https://www.house.mi.gov/AllRepresentatives
― Matt

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:50 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:43 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

What makes you think I haven't already?

Have you? Or are you good with granting them the right to live on the streets?
Last edited by Graham Wellington on Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:54 am

Graham Wellington wrote:

Any assistance the state provides should come with responsibilities for the homeless person. I don't have any issue helping folks though some unforeseen events in their lives that put them out on the street, but if THEY don't actively work towards being able to STAY off the street post-assistance, then they don't deserve more assistance. Institutionalize them, perhaps, but they should not "qualify" for ongoing support.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:13 am

Graham Wellington wrote:

eventually businesses

they see fit.

You don't have to go to San Francisco. Most of the behavior you describe occurs in Ann Arbor all summer, with no police presence on the sidewalk.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:20 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:50 am
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:43 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:

What makes you think I haven't already?

Have you? Or are you good with granting them the right to live on the streets?
I've actually gone office to office in Lansing on homelessness advocacy day. I also work on the rural homelessness task force in D. C. with HUD.
― Matt

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:21 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:54 am
Graham Wellington wrote:

Any assistance the state provides should come with responsibilities for the homeless person. I don't have any issue helping folks though some unforeseen events in their lives that put them out on the street, but if THEY don't actively work towards being able to STAY off the street post-assistance, then they don't deserve more assistance. Institutionalize them, perhaps, but they should not "qualify" for ongoing support.
Deserve? You are an idiot. How much time have you spent with homeless? You have earned your deplorable badge for the day.
― Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic