Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Let's Play Pretend.....

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
JGP1954

Let's Play Pretend.....

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Hey Folks:

I've been out of radio for years, but I still have a nostalgic interest. I have heard that 1520AM (Rossford) is being spun off from its FM (Waseon). Now, let's play a game and be creative. What would some you broadcast veterans do with the programming and marketing with this facility? Don't be mean, just creative. It's not your money, just think about the possibilities. Is there a programming hole in the market? It's a challenge, but I'm sure you're up to it. WPAY's power is 500w. days/400W. nights. Plus, there's a FM repeater. I didn't even know there was a 1520AM in Toledo until a few days ago. I don't know anything about their signal, does it cover the entire Toledo market ? I have only a tangential knowledge of the Toledo market. But, I'm curious as hell about what creative types would do with this facility. Lastly... Blowing it up is not an option in this game. Try to think outside the box, if possible.

Deleted User 10525

Re: Let's Play Pretend.....

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 pm

First off, I would fix the issue with The FM translator, so it sounded like it's supposed to. As for a format, I'd run Scott Shannon's True Oldies channel. Maybe go local mid days and afternoons, True Oldies the rest of the time. Maybe offer time to some brokered shows that are currently on 100.7fm on Sundays. Also, maybe air Smooth Jazz on Sundays as well part of the day. Maybe see if I could get the WTTO call letters.

The signal does cover the market and goes about as far north as Downriver Detroit and about as far south as Findlay Ohio. There was talk of emf selling 1520 earlier this year but the deal fell through, so i'm told.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm

LOL Z-rock did have a good share of AM affiliates back in the day, Hire Z-man and you got a a Toledo favorite.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I end-up having to watch Normy Wamer and his two buddies Saturday nights when WNWO has no 11pm newscast, and "entertaining" might be the word for it, while I'm waiting for SNL to start.

1520 has a 'cigar pattern' reaches those North South constraints quite well, but their plan to make it a 10KW back in 1970 fell-through, as they would have been T-towns most powerful AM station, but would have had a big NE null to stay away from Buffalo. Good idea snagging some heritage callsign such as WTTO, WOHO or WLQR.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Was Norm Wormer the guy known throughout the city as "Captain Sweatpants"?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm

1520 has a booming signal in Erie, MI, but that signal hides a dirty secret - it has a strong, narrow lobe and receives a lot of interference at night (evident at Alexis and Secor). To its credit, it sounds good and had a transmitter plant built in this century.

The travesty is its FM translator. It obviously gets its signal directly over the air. Lightning crashes are easily heard anytime thunderstorms are around. Worse, when conditions are good, the audio is distorted and very low-fidelity (they need to replace their ham radio receiver with something that has a broader IF), and their translator is also where the signal receives audible co-channel interference at night.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am

I had always wondered why Toledo never had a full power AM, meaning like 10k watt or something like that. At time, I guess there was no way they could have moved to a different spot on the dial? That's interesting WOHO. I remember reading that Pastor Pitts put a lot of money into the station before he sold it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am
I had always wondered why Toledo never had a full power AM, meaning like 10k watt or something like that.
For decades (From General Order 40 to, I believe, the late eighties), 5,000 watts was the set limit on all regional channels.

If the FCC actually resets the protected contours from .5mV/m, to 2mV/m, as has been proposed, we could see Speedy, along with the stations on 1360 and 1380 around them, cranking up the juice.

I must add that I'm not impressed with WSPD's signal. It should be booming in Temperance, it's on good soil, without obstructions, but it's weaker than WJR.

My guess is that they need to replace their radials.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm

I like the idea of Oldies. What kind of oldies? Elvis, Carl Perkins, Big Bopper, etc. or Soft 70s rock? AMP 98.7 in Detroit just went soft rock, sort of an oldies format. Also, since the target audience has to be an older demographic, you must include some full-service elements, like news, traffic and weather. The station must have some practical use to the listener. And, what about the FM repeater, only 10 watts at 400 ft.? Maybe, 100 watts at 300 ft.? I'm no engineer, but something has to be done. Your comments are encouraged and welcomed!

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:02 am

A music of your life format would be more what I'd have in mind, something like 98.7 The Breeze. Honestly, a soft AC format as such would do well in Toledo I think. something other then Ghetto or country.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 pm

I'd thought about classic country, oldies, and soft rock, like mentioned above. But, I think you have to do something in the community to get noticed. Do a lot of remotes, and lot of contests and giveaways, hence maybe retaining the WPAY call letters. Slogan-"It PAYS to listen to WPAY 1520!" Also, hire an attractive lady or two for afternoon drive. Have them do the remotes. Slogan-"You goin' home with the girls on WPAY 1520" Sell the remotes, get the station known.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm

If 1520 were to be sold, I imagine they would take the calls with them. Just as when 106.5 gets unloaded, likely the WTOD calls will likely be warehoused someplace. Still, I like that imaging a lot.

" Real oldies, All fun, 1520 and 92.1 WPAY" " 150$ Thursday on WPAY, listen for the song of the day at 8:55am, when you hear it, text us at 419-555-1520 and tell us who is the funest station in Toledo" " live from our studios in Perrysburg, This is Real Oldies 1520 and also on 92.1, WPAY Rossford/Perrysburg" "W221BG Toledo".

I'l got out on a limb here. " Real rock 92.1fm, which would just mention the translator but mention 1520am just at the top of the hour. "Real rock 92.1, the stuff the other guys won't touch" " Another Toledo radio forgot about , Metallica Leper messiah, before that we heard Pantera Walk, annnnd we kicked things off with Alice in Chains and The Melvins. " Comming up another 6 in a row, kickin it off with mercyfull\ Fate and Iron Maiden.

" Looking for the best Liquor store? Latest craft beers? a full selection of Rums and Vodkas? Look no further then the Liquor Cabinet just over the state line in Temperance MI, The best selection around, you won't be disappointed". Tell em real rock 92.1 and 1520 sent you and get a free Beer Mug or shot glass". :)

"real rock, we won't bore you with the stuff the other guys play all the time, the best hard rock and classic metal"

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Sounds like a wild idea with Real Rock. The "Goin' with the Girls" slogan would fit right in. They'd have to wear tube tops though, even in the winter! The WPAY calls are still being used by the FM in southern Ohio.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 am

The old Z rock network back in the day had a share of AM affiliates, so I guess i had that in mind. Is it on a station owned by EMF?

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Another idea! Pick up the Tigers, maybe pick up some sponsors, helps the nighttime bottom line, too. Not a life saver, but every little bit helps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic