Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit And Unrest

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Detroit And Unrest

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Anyone have a theory why we have been spared the rioting and looting in this area? I know GR and Lansing had issues this weekend but In Detroit, Flint, Toledo and Saginaw things have been fairly quiet and the protests have been ended peacefully or with fairly uneventful arrests... Saturday was a little hairy but nothing like it’s been elsewhere.

My stab at it is that Duggan, Craig and the community activists made it clear that won’t work here. We seem to be one of the only major cities to not have this issue... I’ll take it but it’s sure interesting.

Bryce

Re: Detroit And Unrest

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:51 pm
Anyone have a theory why we have been spared the rioting and looting in this area? I know GR and Lansing had issues this weekend but In Detroit, Flint, Toledo and Saginaw things have been fairly quiet and the protests have been ended peacefully or with fairly uneventful arrests... Saturday was a little hairy but nothing like it’s been elsewhere.

My stab at it is that Duggan, Craig and the community activists made it clear that won’t work here. We seem to be one of the only major cities to not have this issue... I’ll take it but it’s sure interesting.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:26 pm

The optimistic side of me says that there are still enough people that remember what 1967 did to the region and how hard it has been to overcome that for the last 53 years.

The pessimistic side of me says that trashing Detroit or Flint or Saginaw or Toledo doesn't have the same shock value as doing it to other cities.
Last edited by Deleted User 13307 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 pm
Rate This wrote:

I'll echo this. Oh, and antifa is probably scared of Detroit.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 pm
Rate This wrote:

Craig’s model seems vastly different than other major cities.. they even simply let the protesters that ran off keep going tonight. As long as they dispersed and went into that good night... that’s what I think is interesting, he even said “we don’t want to arrest anybody or issue tickets if we don’t have to”... that’s a big difference from some of these other places.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:45 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Craig’s model seems vastly different than other major cities..
It is. If people violate curfew, they get arrested. How many curfew violation arrests have been made in N.Y.?
As the 8 p.m. Detroit curfew began, the group already had split into two camps: one headed back to the starting point downtown; another forged ahead, insisting they were free to walk the streets of their city when they choose. Cops warned over megaphone they would make arrests, saying it had been "declared an illegal assembly."

By 8:30 p.m., riot police were present. An armored vehicle was stationed near Connor. Police began arresting protesters in a parking lot of a Family Dollar store shortly after, pushing dozens of marchers to the ground and using zip ties to tie their hands behind their backs.

"We advised they would be arrested. Some complied, some didn't. Some offered some resistance, and so they were taken into custody," police chief James Craig said. "... We don't want to arrest, but if we have to, we will."
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 pm

I've long been a fan of Chief Craig. We are fortunate to have him here. As an added bonus, he supports Second Amendment rights.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic