Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Elton John Countdown

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Elton John Countdown

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 pm

On the way home from work, I listened to a WNIC/IHeart countdown of Elton John songs in anticipation of the new Elton John movie coming out tomorrow. It was great radio because Elton John himself was talking between the songs about the history of the songs and how they fit into his career.

He talked about a debate he had with his promoters about the third single off the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. He wanted Candle in the Wind, but others felt it should be Bennie and the Jets because it was Number 1 on the R&B stations in Detroit. So he introduced the song with a shout out to Detroit.

I had never heard this story, so I checked it out on Newspapers.com. I found this in the 12/22/74 edition of the Detroit Free Press, about a personal appearance that John made at CKLW:

"One of the disc jockeys listening to the hoopla in the lobby was Donnie Simpson of WJLB. He had been invited along because Elton's biggest single, "Bennie and the Jets" premiered on his show. To show his appreciation, Elton had invited the 20-year-old-radio-whiz-kid to tag along and visit. At one point Donnie pondered, "If he gets to be a D.J. for a day, why can't I be E.J. for a day?" "

JLesinski

Re: Elton John Countdown

Post by JLesinski » Thu May 30, 2019 9:49 pm

I'd put John/Taupin in the top 5 of greatest songwriting teams in history.

TC Talks

Re: Elton John Countdown

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 30, 2019 9:50 pm

We just saw it in Traverse City. It's excellent.

https://www.stateandbijou.org/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic