Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
ftballfan

Re: Predictions on how and when the shutdown ends

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Bold new prediction, after both proposed bills failed in the Senate (in fact, the Democratic bill had slightly more support):

Trump will do an oval office speech on January 29 (the original SOTU date), where he will announce his resignation. Over this weekend, Pence will meet with congresspeople from both parties and work out a deal to reopen the government (with some border security funding) and fund it through the end of the fiscal year (September 30). The first bills Pence will sign as president will be the ones to reopen the government.

I just checked out a booking market and they have a higher chance of Trump resigning or being removed from office than winning re-election in 2020. Personally, I think Pence would have a better chance of winning in 2020 than Trump.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Interesting theory. Pence would get two more shots as president: Pence 2020 and 2024.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 pm

LOL that is not a bold prediction; that is a crackpot prediction.

:lol

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm

screen glare wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am
Not that TSA is ever very good at finding weapons. Survey after survey shows hidden weapons and bombs often go through TSA checkpoints undetected.

Still - got to go through the motion of screening in order to take off.
I went through PHX TSA on Sunday, they didn't want to hear condolences, nor were they very concerned with items going through x-ray. There wasn't anyone available to do swab checks. There was no supervisor.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:03 pm
Interesting theory. Pence would get two more shots as president: Pence 2020 and 2024.
You do realize that he had hardly any support in the primary? He's completely fringe.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm

"Trump blinked"

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 pm

He has his wall.
It's Nancy Pelosi.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Trump just agreed to reopen the government for three weeks with absolutely zero wall funding. The MSM pundit (CNN & MSNBC especially) are making no effort to contain their jubilation.

Let's see if the bitch with the noticeable adam's apple or Pawn Vannity convince him at the last second to welch on his verbal agreement.

I don't think there will be a second shutdown.

If the three weeks lapse with no permanent deal, he'll likely use his National Emergency powers almost immediately.

Seems to me this whole process could've been accelerated. I think Nancy cancelling his SOTU address rattled him a bit. Perhaps she should've done that sooner.

I have no issue with Trump's attempt to use a shutdown as leverage, and I am fully supportive of border barrier enhancements (i.e. "the wall"), but I think Trump should've gotten his ducks in a row to pull the National Emergency lever a little more quickly. Now, he looks silly for caving and getting no wall funding in exchange.

I am happy for the federal government employees who can now collect back pay. I'd be pissed if I had to work for nearly four weeks for no pay!!!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 pm
Let's see if the bitch with the noticeable adam's apple or Pawn Vannity convince him at the last second to welch on his verbal agreement.
"Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States."
said the bitch with the adam's apple.
I am happy for the federal government employees who can now collect back pay. I'd be pissed if I had to work for nearly four weeks for no pay!!!
Agreed. Too bad those who serve as contractors likely won't get a dime for their troubles.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Those who worked without pay will get it as we all know. But those who didn't work because they weren't "essential" are just shit out of luck.

I no longer directly engage trolls

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Like I predicted - when the airplanes taking you places began to really feel the interference of the shutdown with flight schedules - it would finally end. Safety concerns due to dwindling numbers of exhausted air traffic controllers today resulted in delays at NY, NJ, and FL airports.

Within hours Trump caved.

Shutdown over.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Trump predicted America would get tired of winning. Today he was so tired of winning, he just couldn't take another one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Only for 3 weeks. Sighhhh.
At least the employees will be getting back pay

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Trump may be the single worst negotiator and strategist in history... all bark and absolutely no bite. Next.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Trump may be the single worst negotiator and strategist in history... all bark and absolutely no bite. Next.
Yup agreed !

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic