I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Logo Bugs

Welcome to the Buzzboard's newest forum! Feel free to share your own views (and other people's published views, too) concerning programming & marketing strategies, the current state of the business, the latest innovations, the effect of regulatory policy, and the outlook for the future.
KevakaTheGr8

Logo Bugs

Post by KevakaTheGr8 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:42 am

When I watch TV, I always stare at the DOG, those lose logos overlaid on TV broadcasts to prevent piracy. When I visit family in China, I always notice the bug being on the top. This makes me wonder why so few stations/networks in the US place their bugs in the top in favour of placing it in the bottom. I do see bugs in the US at the top of the screen, mostly during sports broadcasts. Some PBS stations place bugs in the upper-left hand corner for the whole program, but that would cover up the rating bug. Is there a law against placing the bug in the top? If there is, I'm sure sports networks could get away with is because they are not rated.

rugratsonline

Re: Logo Bugs

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:35 pm

I think stations can place bugs anywhere they want, as long as they don't cover vital information such as ratings or E/I. Most stations in the US opt for the lower right corner (Canada, Australia and NZ are the same), though most in the UK places theirs in the upper left, while in France, it's the upper right.

SolarMax

Re: Logo Bugs

Post by SolarMax » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 pm

The bugs do not "prevent piracy," though at one time they may have discouraged one or two would-be VHS buccaneers. They're all about network and station branding, reminding viewers which channel they've actually landed on. Bugs on sports are up top because sportscasts add multiple layers of their own visual clutter along the bottom. A sports news "ticker," game stats, other game scores, promos, plus the "Fox box" display that crams immediate numbers on the action in progress in the lower right real estate. And an occasional advertising banner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic