All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

TIP Initiative

Welcome to the Buzzboard's newest forum! Feel free to share your own views (and other people's published views, too) concerning programming & marketing strategies, the current state of the business, the latest innovations, the effect of regulatory policy, and the outlook for the future.
moldyoldie

TIP Initiative

Post by moldyoldie » Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 am

Nexstar, TEGNA, Hearst, and Sinclair have a partnership in what they call the TIP (TV Interface Practices) Initiative which sounds like nothing less than a push toward the elimination of the traditional local sales department; i.e., "...for efficient automated buying and selling of local spot inventory."
In Nexstar's latest quarterly conference call (Q1 '18) they announced a meaningful acceleration toward a workable framework for this initiative. Since three of the participating companies own local television properties in Michigan, I'm wondering if anyone reading this has any insight into when such a framework will be fully implemented and opinions on its ultimate viability. I've always figured media buying would one day be as easy as buying on Amazon.

More on TIP can be read here and here.
Last edited by moldyoldie on Tue May 15, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

The Sage

Re: TIP Initiative

Post by The Sage » Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm

I think this is long past due. Hope radio goes this way too.

National buys can be completely automated. There was a platform that agencies used to buy time that made things so client focused. Google bought and killed it. AdSense has no sales people, I spend hundreds of thousands with them.

Radio has the slimest sales culture nationally. They're like used insurance salesmen.

"Actually that's kind of the problem with Radio, for every real legend, you get about fifteen tired old gasbags who stick around too long."

moldyoldie

Re: TIP Initiative

Post by moldyoldie » Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 am

The Sage wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm
Radio has the slimest sales culture nationally. They're like used insurance salesmen.
Is that supposed to read "slimmest" or "slimiest"?
And "used insurance salesmen"? :lol I never knew you could buy used insurance; is it cheaper?

Seriously, I think I catch your drift, Sagey.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic