All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

One stopset per hour. The new norm?

Welcome to the Buzzboard's newest forum! Feel free to share your own views (and other people's published views, too) concerning programming & marketing strategies, the current state of the business, the latest innovations, the effect of regulatory policy, and the outlook for the future.
++++

One stopset per hour. The new norm?

Post by ++++ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 am

Been noticing the stations that only stop once an hour for commercials. Examples I can site: KQCH 94.1 at night, WMID 1340 all the time.

If, when, I listen to certain (mostly smaller markets) I will notice psa's, promos and more psa's. Can't sell? No sales folks?
Was surprised to see, in the comments section, on a station's FB page "you have no station contact info. Only a request line. How would I advertise?"

Wow!

Anyway, why "stop" for psa's, promos, outdated weather, newscasts that are old?

Is one stopset an hour the future of radio? Thoughts?

Calvert DeForest

Re: One stopset per hour. The new norm?

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:23 am

Request line? Stations still have those?

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

++++

Post by ++++ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

Ya, that post said "reguest line" and last year, it was kinda cute when the jock on WIFC gave the request line number and added "nobody calls anymore."

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am

93.1 is lousy with PSA's... their "On the road update" constantly lists concerts that have already happened. Just the other day it was promoting Rock USA... which went down in July.

Does nobody that works there listen to the station?

++++

Post by ++++ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm

WYSS's former owner, Martz, has WYUL in NY/Ontario (94-7 HITS FM, 20 in a row) and got rid of WYSX (96-7 Yes FM, 15 in a row.)

Both, outside of morning drive are music intensive, limited spots, excellent presentation, etc.

And!:::: LIVE morning shows, LIVE night time shows (including a Top9 at 9!)

Yes FM in the Sault is a shell of what it once was! Mornings piped in, Nights/overnights all off the bird.
I'm old enough to remember 24/7 live and local. Sad!

Anyways, both other stations have ONE stop-set per hour.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 am

++++ wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 am

Anyway, why "stop" for psa's, promos, outdated weather, newscasts that are old?
I don't know the issues at this particular station, but my guess is that they don't want to adjust the automation 'clock' since they are probably still trying to sell spots.

It's not terribly challenging to adjust the 'clock', but it is above the skill level of some.

Also, if there is any other content interface (like the satellite or some other source), you have to leave a 'hole' for that.

If you have a warm body there clicking a PC for every song, not running spots is easy.....but very few places do that. With automation, unless your traffic manager is good, constantly setting up new 'clocks' every time a spot flight times out or others start coming in would be a real pain. When you finally DO sell some spots, you don't want them suddenly appearing instead of music...they will be then poorly perceived by listeners. Most listeners do not recognize a PSA for what it is, and when one goes away and a spot comes in, it's seamless.

Obviously, you want your positioners, liners, and your non-legal IDs out there. It's nice for listeners but pointless for the radio business to just play music
++++ wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 am

Is one stopset an hour the future of radio? Thoughts?
I've given my thoughts here a lot....I'm rarely argued with, and usually the arguments, if they come, are passion or preference based, rather than factual:

Radio is not dead, nor will it probably ever completely be so. That said, though, there are tens of millions of young people, now entering prime demos of age, that simply don't care much to listen. Advertisers are aware, and more importantly, when advertising dollars are more controlled by the age group that is indifferent to radio, the radio time buys will drop like a rock.

More passion-based people will point to these predictions when 8 tracks, cassettes, and CDs came out...each took a bite out of radio, but it was liveable. This is an entire generation that is composed of people who do not turn to radio except for very brief purposes.....like a short drive.

It' ain't dead, but it's using a cane. The oxygen tank is coming rather soon.

The smart 'small' guys are getting out in time....we had a small fleet owner from the north drop in once in a while here....he got out in time. I suspect the next couple years are going to be the last where a station can sell and not get completely murdered on their investment.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

++++

Post by ++++ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Actually, both stations have been doing the same format for 3 years or more. The spots basically run at :50 for 5 minutes, then "back into another hour..." To me, it's interesting as heck as the 60's had Bill Drake with stopsets at :06 :15: :22 :36 40 NEWS and :52, then the Q format of the 70's KCBQ plays less commercials, then 10 in a row began as FM hit, then I'd hear 12 & 13 in a row with 2 stops an hour :49 & :55 ish.

But, now, with so many signals and more ways to spend ad dollars, down to ONE stopset an hour (in the 4th Quarter Hour) is to me, interesting.

(Aside: to hear Z100 in NYC run 2 7 minute sets of ads per hour is horrible!)

Back to https://www.947hits.com/ and http://www.yesfm.com/ ---Neither is on the bird, though there is some voice tracking.

I've never been in radio. Just an "old" radio geek.
Each station above has jingles, sweepers, etc, but wow... How in the heck do you pay for a H*** power bill, other staffing, bills, BMI/ASCAP, steaming and make any money on 5-6 ads an hour and possibly nothing overnights?

There is a BBC video on YT which, where the head of programming for BBC radio 1 said, since the invention of the Smartphone, listeners in the youngest demographic have dropped drastically!!!!! Yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLzXnssNwQ Watch at 1:20 and the Smartphones quote.
"Radio is dead, long live Radio! Ben Cooper, Controller of BBC Radio1"

As a listener, I enjoy the 15 in a row, but as an advertiser, don't know if I'd want my ad in the middle of 5 minutes of spots. And again, how does that 5 minutes pay for all those people?

I too, do not believe radio is dead. I think TV has more of a problem but that's for another day.

Thank you Plate Cap, for your honest and well thought out answer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic