Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-16-2017 at 6:00p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Jingle question

Welcome to the Buzzboard's newest forum! Feel free to share your own views (and other people's published views, too) concerning programming & marketing strategies, the current state of the business, the latest innovations, the effect of regulatory policy, and the outlook for the future.
++++

Jingle question

Post by ++++ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:41 pm

I have never been in radio. I'm a dx'er and a radio freak.
Have loved the CHR/Top 40 format, the execution, formatics, hot clocks, counter programming for decades.
Are jingles going the way of the do do bird?
There was a time in the mid 70's when Y100, 13Q, We-FM (99.5 Chicago), 15-KSTP, 96X (Miami) and others tossed jingles.
Personally, I love jingles. They are quick, and it's not mindless chatter as I hear on so many stations. I hear a few station sans jingles.
Still, a comment on a radio board hit me like a brick. Here it is:
"When you hear a jingle, that is your parents radio station."
I know opinions are varied, but it got me wondering.
Thoughts (on jingles on a CHR)?

TC Talks

Re: Jingle question

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Do you know that annoying drone/meth chick who always State the obvious about your favorite rock or CHR station? "Always the hottest hits, and none of the crap" ? That liner along with all the celebrity drops have replaced the jingle. Personally I agree with you.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

If it's the one on Magic 97 and AT40, it's Horrid, with a capital H!
Z100 (NY) seems to have no jingles. PLJ is so all over the board. Yet, GHQ.fm, a college station sounds good without jingles. AMP in Detroit has jingles. Maybe the AMP slogan is a bit much. Channel 977 (KJJK, Minnesota) uses jingles. Sounds good.
With the over usage of sweepers, that voice is on 24/7. Gets old. The pd can blame a jock, etc, but there are many components to a station. Many times, the pd does as best they can only to have syndicated programs on the weekends which negates everything one tried to build up the entire week!
(Quite noticeable on talk staions: talk all day until Sat Sun fix it, Real Estate, brokered trash.)

Anyway, the best quote is from a friend...
"All you do is listen to jingles and disc jockeys. You never listen to the song!"

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I don't listen to Z100 (NY) often, but when I have (through Sirius), I have heard jingles, actually. Same with KIIS-FM (LA). I feel like the heritage stations in the biggest markets, even if they're CHR, still use jingles. Overall, though, it's not too common anymore for stations that are appealing to a younger audience, which is too bad IMO. I like them. Maybe I just like the tradition of it.

The celebrity drop thing is annoying as all hell. Every radio station is the same thing. Mix of artists saying their name, essentially. The absolute worst is when the audio clip doesn't even have the artist saying the name of the station! Because the station never got a clip of them saying their name. Doesn't matter, though.

"Hi, this is Ed Sheeran" "This is Adele" "We're the Lumineers" [STUDIO VOICE] "93.9 The River. Real rock variety." Wow, congratulations, the artists EXIST and you found stock clips of them saying their names!

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Do you know that annoying drone/meth chick who always State the obvious about your favorite rock or CHR station? "Always the hottest hits, and none of the crap" ? That liner along with all the celebrity drops have replaced the jingle. Personally I agree with you.
I totally agree with your comments. The meth chick liners have been around for quite awhile now (even on AT40), so hopefully those die out soon. IMO, at WOMC, which killed the jingles a few weeks back, the music seems to chug along more slowly....

A variance on the meth chick liner is the 'Soccer Mom-I've never been on the radio" liner, which WMGC used to use all of the time; and you hear occasionally on WNIC and WOMC. Yucch.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Z93 in Traverse City and WJIM-FM in Lansing have solid sounding jingle packages.

Amp Radio in Detroit no longer uses jingles; they were dropped sometime within the last year. They also switched their voiceovers to Chris Corley, who simply sounds too old for a very young skewing CHR these days. (He was a great voice for CHR 20 years ago.)

I really wish Channel 95-7 in Grand Rapids would add jingles; the right package would sound incredible on that station.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

I think the older folks could sing "WLS" "CKLW" or "Kiss F M" easily.
Now, sadly, and this began 20 years ago. All jingles are 3 notes: KISS F M or similar.
Read another comment that jingles are not PPM friendly, but a l-o-n-g sweeper between songs is?
I'm of the belief some people in radio just don't get it. There are folks in radio who are laid off or without work who could still program better!

To the casual listener, the sweep means a commercial. Too, the retention factor or dumbed down thing, to me, might/could play a part.

Was eating at a restaurant earlier in the year. From the time you get there to the food, etc, I heard the same 10 songs over & over. Asked the bartender and he stated these were the most popular songs of the week. I heard some songs three times in the time I was there.
It was interesting.

Personally, I enjoy jingles as stated before. Looked up "jingles PPM" --71,000 results!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic