Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDIV trying to fan some racial flames??

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

WDIV trying to fan some racial flames??

Post by km1125 » Tue May 28, 2024 9:31 pm

Tripped across a couple WDIV promos while I was flipping though channels. Sounds like WDIV is doing some kind of "Malice Green Week" next week, as they were talking about a bunch of different coverage they were doing on the story. Is it really a story anymore?? Did I really see those short clips, or was I just imagining it?

I'm thinking they're just trying to pour gasoline on the remaining embers of 'racial injustice' in the city that others (including Duggan and White) have been doing a great job at trying to snuff out and making it a safer place for everyone.

I tried to find some more info on their website but couldn't. Maybe I just missed it. If anyone has links or more info on what they're actually trying to do, I'm all ears. But if I was a bettin' man I'd say they were trying to foment a "burn, Detroit, burn" atmosphere for an upcoming hot summer so they have plenty of video for their cameras. In recent years we've "missed out" on all the action as places like Minneapolis, Atlanta, Ferguson, Kenosha, etc, devolved into chaos.

Rate This

Re: WDIV trying to fan some racial flames??

Post by Rate This » Tue May 28, 2024 10:01 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:31 pm
Tripped across a couple WDIV promos while I was flipping though channels. Sounds like WDIV is doing some kind of "Malice Green Week" next week, as they were talking about a bunch of different coverage they were doing on the story. Is it really a story anymore?? Did I really see those short clips, or was I just imagining it?

I'm thinking they're just trying to pour gasoline on the remaining embers of 'racial injustice' in the city that others (including Duggan and White) have been doing a great job at trying to snuff out and making it a safer place for everyone.

I tried to find some more info on their website but couldn't. Maybe I just missed it. If anyone has links or more info on what they're actually trying to do, I'm all ears. But if I was a bettin' man I'd say they were trying to foment a "burn, Detroit, burn" atmosphere for an upcoming hot summer so they have plenty of video for their cameras. In recent years we've "missed out" on all the action as places like Minneapolis, Atlanta, Ferguson, Kenosha, etc, devolved into chaos.
4 Is generally pretty awful when it comes to the tabloidish in your face stuff… they also have a habit of making controversy or excitement out of thin air where none exists just to have something. Wouldn’t be surprised though I only vaguely remember Malice Green and wasn’t one of the officers Larry Nevers or something?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 28, 2024 10:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 10:01 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:31 pm

4 Is generally pretty awful when it comes to the tabloidish in your face stuff… they also have a habit of making controversy or excitement out of thin air where none exists just to have something. Wouldn’t be surprised though I only vaguely remember Malice Green and wasn’t one of the officers Larry Nevers or something?
I remember it vividly. It was on the news every night. It was around the same time as the LA riots. As a child, I was mortified. I will never get that tape out of my head. No one censored anything. He was beaten so badly.

Great coverage with Frank Turner: https://youtu.be/7HMYEgrv-ho?si=tsxpvSPAnYxPwfrY
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Walter Budzyn and Larry Nevers. I believe one of them has since passed. I vividly remember all of it, also.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue May 28, 2024 10:26 pm

It should be brought back. It should never be forgotten. Not saying he was a great guy, but he didn't deserve to die for not opening up his hand. Absolute brutality. We're lucky we didn't have riots over it. I know it's hard for cops and they didn't have tasers back then, but that response was far too over the top -- obviously.
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 10:22 pm
Walter Budzyn and Larry Nevers. I believe one of them has since passed. I vividly remember all of it, also.
Nevers died in 2013 apparently.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 29, 2024 12:56 am

They are running a story at 545pm on Thursday about people trying to make policing better and later airing an hour long special “30 years in the making” at 8pm on Local 4+.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed May 29, 2024 6:10 am

I agree with the OP. It shouldn’t be forgotten or dismissed, but let’s not keep fanning flames of a fire that seemingly is settling down in our city

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 29, 2024 11:53 am

deadend wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 6:10 am
I agree with the OP. It shouldn’t be forgotten or dismissed, but let’s not keep fanning flames of a fire that seemingly is settling down in our city
It seems to be a personal mission of Paula Tutman—something she wanted to do before taking Channel 4's buyout.
And on a final note, I think it is so incredibly and hauntingly poetic that the death of Malice Green was the very first big story I participated in covering when I arrived at Channel 4—and it will be the last big story I cover on my way out the door to early retirement.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/features ... day-night/

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Wed May 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Malice...FAFO

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu May 30, 2024 6:07 am

deadend wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 6:10 am
So in your opinion, does reminding folks about something they've forgotten about an example of fanning the flames you wish to extinguish?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Thu May 30, 2024 8:42 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:07 am
So in your opinion, does reminding folks about something they've forgotten about an example of fanning the flames you wish to extinguish?
Maybe we could get to the forgetting part if black men stopped being killed by cops for dumb reasons, or no reason at all.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri May 31, 2024 12:08 am

I remember the trial of Malice Green on Pass Sports airing it in the morning & afternoons I didn't watch the coverage all that much. I was glad a couple of the officers were found guilty I know one of them asked the judge for his verdict instead of the jury trial.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Fri May 31, 2024 10:56 am

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 8:42 am
Round Six wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 6:07 am
Maybe we could get to the forgetting part if black men stopped being killed by cops for dumb reasons, or no reason at all.
Did you know more white men are killed by cops than black men? And by a significant number.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/
Its true that black men, as a percentage, are more likely to be killed by a police officer but that must also be combined with the fact that, as a percentage, they are more likely to be involved with a violent crime. The context of the death matters.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:21 pm

MasterB wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 12:08 am
I remember the trial of Malice Green on Pass Sports airing it in the morning & afternoons I didn't watch the coverage all that much. I was glad a couple of the officers were found guilty I know one of them asked the judge for his verdict instead of the jury trial.
can the police kill you instead?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic