Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielsen Detroit radio ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
edj

Re: Nielsen Detroit radio ratings

Post by edj » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:19 am

I can see a run at PBP rights for the Lions and Tigers/Wings when they come up. Possibly U of M or MSU too. That’ll be the only remote possibility 106.7 goes sports. More likely, they would leave whatever music format in place. Part of why 97.1 does well is the PBP of all the pro teams. It can’t all be Valenti and co. To truly dethrone them, you also need quality heavily local talent, and that’s just not going to happen.

If you are in the western suburbs, WTKA has some local shows, but they’re not of high quality and heavily focused on U of M football, even in the offseason. Despite having some PBP rights, there’s not much talk of the Tigers or Wings (or even Lions).

In a few months, there will also be Rob Parker’s predicted trainwreck on 1270. As I said in that thread, you never know- one of the hosts may be a diamond in the rough and turn out to be decent. Odds are against that though.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:03 am

MSU athletics doesn't have enough fan interest to warrant placement on an FM signal here. WJR is a very good fit for them because it is pretty much the only radio station that can be heard clearly in both Metro Detroit and East Lansing. Fans driving to Breslin or Spartan Stadium from Detroit can listen to all the pre-game bullcrap on a single station the entire drive.

WJR also reaches many rural areas where loyalty to MSU tends to be higher.

As for U-M, 106.7 has reception issues in & around Michigan Stadium on some radios due to adjacent channel interference from WQKL. I also cannot envision U-M wanting a butt rock station as their flagship. The current arrangement with Audacy works well from both a brand and signal vantage point. Football gets carried on both 950 + one of the FMs (normally 97.1, unless there is a conflict, in which case 104.3 carries the contest). Basketball is carried exclusively on 950. Hockey is carried exclusively on 1270.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:03 am

Fans driving to Breslin or Spartan Stadium from Detroit can listen to all the pre-game bullcrap on a single station the entire drive.
If he were forced to listen, I imagine somewhere near the Webberville/Stockbridge exit, Colonel Flagg would exit the moving vehicle, and a run through the cornfields screaming.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:00 pm

:rollin

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:54 pm

Who is Wheels' PD?
Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:37 pm

Casey, the guy who voicetracks evenings. He was PD for the final two or three years' worth of The D, was PD of Alt 106.7, and remained as PD when the station became WLLZ.

He also remotely programs some other stations for iFart, such as the craptacular station known as Rock 106.7 in Salt Lake City. (101 KBER is a vastly superior station and is essentially that market's version of WRIF from a music standpoint.). Somehow, Rock 106.7 usually gets decent ratings. That station is pretty similar to WIOT music wise.

Wheels either needs to take on WCSX more directly from a music standpoint or adopt a more modern sound to better appeal to WRIF's P1s, in my opinion. If it were me, I'd deepen the song catalog, cut out most of the stuff after 1993, and add more titles & artists from the late 60s to late 80s. I would give the station a more sophisticated sound and charge hard at CSX.

Spencer Graves and his female co-host are certainly talented on-air personalities, but they're not the right fit for mornings for a classic rock station in Detroit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic