Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local Media Blames Messenger for WSJ Column about Dearborn

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
riggs

Re: Local Media Blames Messenger for WSJ Column about Dearborn

Post by riggs » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:03 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:45 am
I used to live near Schaefer and Michigan and took many long walks through the neighborhoods, with their beautiful variety of bungalows. I would try to nod and smile at the ladies in the burkas, but they would look in another direction. .
[/quote]

Maybe they could feel the bigotry coming off you.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

riggs

Post by riggs » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:10 pm

As far back as I remember the only time we've really had any religious strife it was when some right-wing Christian came to town to burn the Quran in front of the largest Mosque in the country. I begged the media not to cover him, don't give him what he wants, but they can't resist the easy story. Nobody fired a shot, nobody hit him or threw blood on him or anything like that. That's he really wanted - that photo op with this clothes torn and blood trickling down his head. Never happened. And Jews & Christians joined the Muslims to keep the peace. The way it should be. That's how it really works here. Sure there are outliers, but your comment about kids yelling the n word................No white Christian teens have ever done anything like that, right?
Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

riggs

Post by riggs » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 pm

Was moving a cabinet into a van. I can do it myself but it's difficult. My Muslim neighbor - her brother sees me doing this, he comes right over, doesn't even ask, and helps me lift it into the van. Fuckin' Jihadist.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:03 pm

riggs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 pm
Was moving a cabinet into a van. I can do it myself but it's difficult. My Muslim neighbor - her brother sees me doing this, he comes right over, doesn't even ask, and helps me lift it into the van. Fuckin' Jihadist.
Did it blow up when you got around the corner? I hear that's how they get you... be nice while simultaneously being a seed of evil...

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:18 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/02/ ... e-outrage/
The “words of a small few,” as Biden said, is an interesting way to characterize the Wall Street Journal op-ed’s criticisms. Because, as it turns out, there is more than just rhetoric in Dearborn.

As briefly mentioned by Stalinsky, the city has been on the Justice Department’s radar for quite some time now.

In July 2018, for example, the U.S. repatriated Dearborn resident Ibraheem Musaibli after he was arrested in Syria on charges he joined the Islamic State. He was sentenced to 14 years in federal prison in 2023. In 2017, Dearborn resident Samer el Debek was arrested for allegedly spying on behalf of the Iranian-backed terrorist group Hezbollah. Debek was tasked with scouting the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Panama for vulnerabilities, according to the Justice Department. He was even trained in bomb-making. His case has yet to go to trial. In 2014, Dearborn resident Mohammad Hassan Hamdan was charged with attempting to provide material support to Hezbollah. He pleaded guilty two years later. Much earlier, in 2007, former Dearborn resident Fawzi Assi pleaded guilty to providing material support to Hezbollah. In 2005, former Dearborn restaurateur Talal Chahine, who operated La Shish, a restaurant chain in the Detroit metro area, fled the country after he was charged with using a double set of books to funnel nearly $20 million to Hezbollah. Chahine has since been arrested and is awaiting trial on charges he conspired to provide material support to a designated terrorist organization.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:54 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:18 pm
https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/02/ ... e-outrage/
The “words of a small few,” as Biden said, is an interesting way to characterize the Wall Street Journal op-ed’s criticisms. Because, as it turns out, there is more than just rhetoric in Dearborn.

As briefly mentioned by Stalinsky, the city has been on the Justice Department’s radar for quite some time now.

In July 2018, for example, the U.S. repatriated Dearborn resident Ibraheem Musaibli after he was arrested in Syria on charges he joined the Islamic State. He was sentenced to 14 years in federal prison in 2023. In 2017, Dearborn resident Samer el Debek was arrested for allegedly spying on behalf of the Iranian-backed terrorist group Hezbollah. Debek was tasked with scouting the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Panama for vulnerabilities, according to the Justice Department. He was even trained in bomb-making. His case has yet to go to trial. In 2014, Dearborn resident Mohammad Hassan Hamdan was charged with attempting to provide material support to Hezbollah. He pleaded guilty two years later. Much earlier, in 2007, former Dearborn resident Fawzi Assi pleaded guilty to providing material support to Hezbollah. In 2005, former Dearborn restaurateur Talal Chahine, who operated La Shish, a restaurant chain in the Detroit metro area, fled the country after he was charged with using a double set of books to funnel nearly $20 million to Hezbollah. Chahine has since been arrested and is awaiting trial on charges he conspired to provide material support to a designated terrorist organization.
Fantastic... 5 examples out of just over 60,000 living there and over the course of 20 years... even if we scale that up the amount of people doing this is just infinitesimal... and all of the examples involved aid or going to some other country to do something nefarious. I understand the human small numbers bias may be at play here but the reality is that big picture there isn't anything here... It's a rounding error of a rounding error.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:26 pm

Its entirely possible for two disparate things to be true at the same time.
Again, are we just going to ignore the fact of the pro Palestinian/ pro Hamas protests that occurred in Dearborn?
There ARE many pro-Hamas people that live in Dearborn. This is factual. That doesnt mean that they go around bombing things.
There are also a great many that dont support Hamas and just want to live a regular life in peace.
Both of these can be true simultaneously. It does no one any favors to pretend there arent two sides here.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:59 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:26 pm
Again, are we just going to ignore the fact of the pro Palestinian/ pro Hamas protests that occurred in Dearborn?
There ARE many pro-Hamas people that live in Dearborn. This is factual. That doesnt mean that they go around bombing things.
There are also a great many that dont support Hamas and just want to live a regular life in peace.
Both of these can be true simultaneously. It does no one any favors to pretend there arent two sides here.
The National Review article also had this comment:
Dearborn has a population of roughly 109,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. At what point is it appropriate to ask questions about radical rhetoric and terrorism-related activities in one American city? I’m not saying Dearborn is, in fact, the jihad capital of the United States. I’m simply trying to figure out the baseline number for when we’re allowed to notice things.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:26 pm
Opinions even loud ones are perfectly ok. People stand on the corner with pictures of cut up fetuses for god sakes... Nobody is pretending there aren't sympathizers... but to call it the "Jihad Capitol" is a little beyond ridiculous...
Bobbert wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:59 pm
The National Review article also had this comment:
Dearborn has a population of roughly 109,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. At what point is it appropriate to ask questions about radical rhetoric and terrorism-related activities in one American city? I’m not saying Dearborn is, in fact, the jihad capital of the United States. I’m simply trying to figure out the baseline number for when we’re allowed to notice things.

You can notice whatever you like. It's a free country. And there weren't massive protests in the streets hailing the people who were arrested above for terror-adjacent activities in Dearborn. It stands to reason therefore that supporting the Palestinians is popular but supporting actual terrorism is not so much there...

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 247053007/

At least there are more eyes on this stuff now thanks to the WSJ story.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:40 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 pm
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 247053007/

At least there are more eyes on this stuff now thanks to the WSJ story.
At least those chants were denounced immediately by some community members. Thats a plus. That they happened at all simply proves that there undeniably is an element of that stuff in Dearborn.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:06 pm

Could something about the WSJ author's faith be triggering this response?

I told you about my neighbor 50 years ago who said he was born in Palestine, and said flat out he hated adherents to that faith. His extended family recently gave a contribution to one of the squad members.

Even if there is just a small percentage that are radical and vocal about their hatred, isn't that still a problem?

I lived in a neighborhood back then that had both ethnicities and faiths, but both sides, especially the children, got along OK and even played together then. We seem to be going backwards now.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic