Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Radio drops "Radio" from its name

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Michigan Radio drops "Radio" from its name

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:58 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm
PBS and NPR obviously don't cater to those whose idea of "solid educational programming" is PragerU. Fortunately, if that describes you, you have other options where you can rest assured you'll never hear anyone who isn't a heterosexual, cisgender WASP described in anything less than demonizing terms. Instead of complaining that an outlet for a worldview that's different from your own exists, listen to, or watch, something else. It's that simple. It's why I don't listen to any of Crawford's stations or watch OAN.
Back to the original topic of this post... dumb name change, I agree, and just about everyone on their Facebook page concurs. It seems to be part of a wave of public broadcasters across the nation making similar moves, though.
Michigan Public _______ is what immediately leaps to my mind. There really should be another word there… it’s like permanently hanging an under construction sign on your business.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:53 am

HD74 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:18 pm
Damn Craig, does EVERYTHING have to do with politics??
Give it abreak man.
No everything doesn't have to be about politics. But in the time frames I listen it is.
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:32 pm
... seems to be part of a wave of public broadcasters across the nation making similar moves, though.
That's true.

"LAist" in Los Angeles immediately comes to mind.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:26 am

We can blame new GM Wendy Turner for the vapid rebrand.

I see they've turned off comments on Facebook for the post where the rebrand was officially announced. I suspect many negative comments were received.

I'll get used to the new name over time, but the change was unnecessary.

Michigan Public sounds like Michigan Pubic. LOL

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:43 am

I wonder how many listener pledge dollars were squandered on the rebrand project?

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:26 am

I see they've turned off comments on Facebook for the post where the rebrand was officially announced. I suspect many negative comments were received.

The comments on their Facebook page were overwhelmingly "WTF?" and nearly all highly negative. The only positives were of the "oh, I guess we'll eventually get used to it" variety. The cheerful reply explanations had all the buzzwords you'd expect.
Not commented on here is the accompanying new Logo. A blue/magenta cursive worm squiggle that you realize says "mp" only after looking at it for a few seconds. :barf

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 am

NPR is less and less about radio... I am sure this is also true for commercial stations but Nielsen seems to keep the dream alive.
Since the pandemic took hold in the United States, NPR’s radio ratings have taken a nosedive. Half of AM/FM listening in the United States takes place in a car, but between reduced (or eliminated) commutes and social distancing, there’s been a steep decline in the drivers that make up public radio’s traditional broadcast audience.

“People who listened to NPR shows on the radio at home before the pandemic by and large still do,” NPR’s own media correspondent, David Folkenflik, reported on July 15. “But many of those who listened on their commute have not rejoined from home. And that threatens to alter the terrain for NPR for years to come.”

Even as its legacy platform’s audience has declined, though, NPR says it is reaching more people than ever. The dip in radio listenership — 22 percent — has coincided with a record number of people turning to NPR on virtually every other platform. More people than ever are reaching NPR through the website, apps, livestreams, and smart speakers (“Alexa, I want to listen to NPR”).

In total, 57 million listen or watch or read NPR content each week, up 10 percent from this time last year. Comparing spring 2019 to spring 2020, here’s where NPR saw its numbers move:

Unique weekly visitors to NPR.org increased 94 percent

Smart speaker streams and on-demand audio increased 29 percent
Live stream listeners increased 39 percent
NPR app usage grew 22 percent
NPR One app usage increased 19 percent
NPR Music, through YouTube, saw its traffic increase by 90 percent

These changes have implications for NPR’s bottom line, which draws on a mix of underwriting, member station fees, government funds, and donations. In 2020, for the first time, NPR will make more money from underwriting on podcasts than from its radio shows.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am
PBS is separate from NPR. They do both receive some funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
In my friends case, they have both radio and TV.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:15 am

Believe it or not I grew up on Nova, Cosmos, The Woodwright's Shop, This Old House, MotorWeek, Frontline, Hometime, Wild America, The Victory Garden...

I love science and math. I also love God for the wonder of his creation. No way it was just an accident in a cesspool.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:59 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:27 am
PBS is separate from NPR. They do both receive some funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
In my friends case, they have both radio and TV.
WCMU, WNMU and WGVU run both radio and TV operations. Some of the development staff co-mingle. CPB funding is usually a very small amount. CPB is more in the business of finding programming not broadcasting operations.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:14 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:15 am
Believe it or not I grew up on Nova, Cosmos, The Woodwright's Shop, This Old House, MotorWeek, Frontline, Hometime, Wild America, The Victory Garden...

I love science and math. I also love God for the wonder of his creation. No way it was just an accident in a cesspool.
💯

Very well stated!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Now you sound like Mark Levin. Cheers 🥂
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:48 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 pm
Michigan Radio should sell WFUM-FM to Smile FM. That ought to get a rise out of you.
Smile FM should be shut down.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:58 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:18 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Now you sound like Mark Levin. Cheers 🥂
Now, that's a comparison I was not expecting! 😁

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:01 pm

The left always shuts down comments when they don't like them. So much for freedom of thought.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic