Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Calvert, R.I.P

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Ken Calvert, R.I.P

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 am
Damn - your memory is good!

Indeed, I used to mock that on-air proclamation for its absurdity.
What was absurd about the "workforce" tag? It seems like in an industrial setting, rock music is fairly popular with the workers.
D&D probably haven't performed a day of hard labor in their entire adult lives; that's why it's absurd. They also had little in common with the typical CSX listener, as the ratings proved.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:38 am

"Joe DUUUUUU-mars!"

RIP
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:32 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:22 am
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 am
Damn - your memory is good!

Indeed, I used to mock that on-air proclamation for its absurdity.
What was absurd about the "workforce" tag? It seems like in an industrial setting, rock music is fairly popular with the workers.
D&D probably haven't performed a day of hard labor in their entire adult lives; that's why it's absurd. They also had little in common with the typical CSX listener, as the ratings proved.
The WCSX audience wants/ed music in the morning as well. D&D refused to play music, so there was a stalemate anyway. Once Ken took over and music was brought back, ratings went up.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:46 am

Absolutely. Ken was the perfect choice for that daypart.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 8422

Post by Deleted User 8422 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:14 am

Oh brother. The tv and newspaper tributes flow like butter. The reality is all these "jocks" have been fooling the public for years. These "DJ's are not the saints the media try to build them up as. calvert was an inhuman azzhole. another narcissist who behind the scenes tried to get people fired by OUTING THEM. Is that the guy you all are trying to pop up on rickety statue platforms? Podell is another narcissistic (hair plugs) power freek, Oleary was a alcoholic and crack head desperately trying to stay relevant on facebook when he was murdered by his felon roommate and fellow drug addict, Johnson a misogynist AND womanizer who cheated on his first wife. Get your head out of your azzes. These are NOT nice people and I for one is glad he's dead. Ive been waiting for this ever since he fell of a ladder and almost broke his neck.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:43 pm

zeplepplin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:14 am
Oh brother. The tv and newspaper tributes flow like butter ....
Hold up there Hoss. You gotta understand. Podell and Calvert and others you mentioned, along with the media, are family. They see each other all the time. Media events. Press boxes. Just like there are cop bars, there are media bars many stop at.

Sure 99 percent of the public (with the exception here of course) don't care when one of them retires or passes.
And 99 percent change channels anytime one of those "pat ourselves on the back" TV specials comes on.

Give 'em a little slack when they're bestowing kudos on each other. That's their circle of friends.
Last edited by Round Six on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

ChuckRoast1958

Post by ChuckRoast1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:09 pm

Zep: get some help with your narrsissim.
You are an angry person who needs help.

Ken - the most casual jock I have ever met

Doug- great air talent and PD @ RIF /CSX

Jim - legend at his craft

John - maybe smoked a bit of the herb. I knew him as a friend. He never did any type of mind altering drug.

How dare you shame these people. Also two who have passed. Honestly I pray for you to have such disregard for human life

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:28 pm

zeplepplin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:14 am
Oh brother. The tv and newspaper tributes flow like butter. The reality is all these "jocks" have been fooling the public for years. These "DJ's are not the saints the media try to build them up as. calvert was an inhuman azzhole. another narcissist who behind the scenes tried to get people fired by OUTING THEM. Is that the guy you all are trying to pop up on rickety statue platforms? Podell is another narcissistic (hair plugs) power freek, Oleary was a alcoholic and crack head desperately trying to stay relevant on facebook when he was murdered by his felon roommate and fellow drug addict, Johnson a misogynist AND womanizer who cheated on his first wife. Get your head out of your azzes. These are NOT nice people and I for one is glad he's dead. Ive been waiting for this ever since he fell of a ladder and almost broke his neck.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:48 pm

I wish MW would take out the trash.

Working for and with the likes of O'Leary and Podell and Calvert were amongst some of my happiest memories. So fuck that prick. We should all aspire to the perfection that is dickleppelin. Coward. Sorry you never got to be more than the clown that handed out bumper stickers at the Hayloft.

PS - I know who ChuckRoast is. No doxxing.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 8422

Post by Deleted User 8422 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:23 pm

ChuckRoast1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:09 pm
Zep: get some help with your narrsissim.
You are an angry person who needs help.

Ken - the most casual jock I have ever met

Doug- great air talent and PD @ RIF /CSX

Jim - legend at his craft

John - maybe smoked a bit of the herb. I knew him as a friend. He never did any type of mind altering drug.

How dare you shame these people. Also two who have passed. Honestly I pray for you to have such disregard for human life
LOL. Oleary downed gallons of Mohawk like it was water. I personally saw him toke down hundreds of grams of crack at his mother Ethel's house on Thatcher St in Detroit. He lived next door to a crack dealer on Church Street in Highland Park for years and was a cheap mooch. I finally had to cut off our friendship because of the drugs, alcohol and violent temper. Calvert was just a plain ole nasty human being for tying to out someone so they would get fired. YOU obviously dont know what any of these guys were like other than their "public" persona. I disliked these guys intensely and they were a big reason I got out of radio.
Last edited by Deleted User 8422 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:35 pm

And I am sure the world is better for it.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ChuckRoast1958

Post by ChuckRoast1958 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:00 pm

I worked with all of them. Zep you sound like someone who truthfully were unhappy with the success of others. Okay you saw OLeary do that
I knew him in the last ten years of his life. We were friends..... You got out of radio. Sounds like you weren't talented enough to stay in Detroit.

Attacking someone who has passed is a real low way of expressing displeasure. I can't imagine what KC did to inspire such anger.
He was one who worked with everyone.

I knew these people

Deleted User 8422

Post by Deleted User 8422 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:03 pm

ChuckRoast1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:00 pm
I worked with all of them. Zep you sound like someone who truthfully were unhappy with the success of others. Okay you saw OLeary do that
I knew him in the last ten years of his life. We were friends..... You got out of radio. Sounds like you weren't talented enough to stay in Detroit.

Attacking someone who has passed is a real low way of expressing displeasure. I can't imagine what KC did to inspire such anger.
He was one who worked with everyone.

I knew these people
read the posts

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:40 pm

Wow! Don't be a d*ck. I agree that Podell is as described. I worked with these other folk, and yes, it takes an ego to survive on the air radio or tv, that doesn't make everyone bad. Did you take too many smart pills?
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 am

What about Arthur P, Steve Kostan, Karen Savelly, Lynn Woodison and Greg St James. What were these people like behind the scenes?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic