Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR, boring programming

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Radiobirdman

Re: WJR, boring programming

Post by Radiobirdman » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:09 pm
WBZ is all news for large chunks of the broadcast day.

KFI is great! Too bad 760 does not sound more like them.
Yes, during drivetime WBZ is Boston's WWJ or WBBM. I like their morning newscasts and sometimes listen before the sun comes up. In the day, David Brudnoy's evening show on WBZ was great radio and I listened regularly here in MI.

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:49 pm

Realist wrote: "The great voice of the Great Lakes πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
My how the mighty have fallen. 50K watts of πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©"

In total agreement with you on this one, Realist. I interned there when they could proudly proclaim the title "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes". Since the Mickey Mouse Club took over ABC, and spun the radio group off to cumeless, 'JR isn't even a shadow of its former self. Going to starboard list talk was bad enough. But cumeless (or House of Cards Communication as I like to call them, has cut into bone, programming drek, losing listeners and wondering why they can't sell ads. The fact that they have Fux News Radio has completed the transformation into "Grate Voice of the Great Lakes". J.P., Jimmy L., Hal, Mike and Oscar you are sorely missed.
Great Lakes Vet

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 pm

GREATLAKESVET wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:49 pm
J.P., Jimmy L., Hal, Mike and Oscar you are sorely missed.
I'd add to those greats those who brought fine, tasteful, and interesting music to WJR: Jay Roberts, Karl Haas, Gene Elzy.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:03 pm

In total agreement with you on this one, Realist. I interned there when they could proudly proclaim the title "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes". Since the Mickey Mouse Club took over ABC, and spun the radio group off to cumeless, 'JR isn't even a shadow of its former self. Going to starboard list talk was bad enough. But cumeless (or House of Cards Communication as I like to call them, has cut into bone, programming drek, losing listeners and wondering why they can't sell ads. The fact that they have Fux News Radio has completed the transformation into "Grate Voice of the Great Lakes". J.P., Jimmy L., Hal, Mike and Oscar you are sorely missed.
They’re running the Faux News radio network? πŸ™„πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜³

That kills ANY credibility for news in my book.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:07 am

but others ONLY read out of that book.........

remember you MUST celebrate diversity.....
at least, that's what's lectured to me every February.....

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:06 pm

Yeah, the last bastion of WJR Greatness ended with David Newman’s stroke.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:46 pm

Majik wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:06 pm

I was working there when David had his stroke, following heart bypass surgery. We not only lost David, but the late PD, Steve Stewart, also wiped out the hour-long Evening News Center at 6PM, the hour-long Late Evening News Center at 11PM, whatever was left of Sportswrap at 7PM, and plugged in Hannity and Levin on a 3 hour delay. It wasn't the same after that.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:13 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:46 pm

I was working there when David had his stroke, following heart bypass surgery. We not only lost David, but the late PD, Steve Stewart, also wiped out the hour-long Evening News Center at 6PM, the hour-long Late Evening News Center at 11PM, whatever was left of Sportswrap at 7PM, and plugged in Hannity and Levin on a 3 hour delay. It wasn't the same after that.
Well then I blame YOU
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 pm

Mega Hertz wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:13 pm

Well then I blame YOU
As Colonel Flagg would say, "Don't try to make friends with me" :smokin

I would never trade live and local for syndicated uniblab, regardless of political flavor. You can never replace David Newman, but doing it with syndicated shows that are hours old, is just giving up.

For you youngsters who were not around for Gene Elzy on WJR, here's a sample

https://detroitsound.org/artifact/gene-elzy/

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:55 am

Radiobirdman wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 pm
I'd add to those greats those who brought fine, tasteful, and interesting music to WJR: Jay Roberts, Karl Haas, Gene Elzy.
Hear hear. Remembering Marc Avery for his time on WJR as well.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:12 am

Musicrewired wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:55 am
Radiobirdman wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 pm
Hear hear. Remembering Marc Avery for his time on WJR as well.
Marc Avery was the ideal personality for PM drive. He probably went to bed early on Friday night to cover "Saturday Morning Confusion"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 am

Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 pm

Well then I blame YOU

I would never trade live and local for syndicated uniblab, regardless of political flavor. You can never replace David Newman, but doing it with syndicated shows that are hours old, is just giving up.

I really need to get that interview with David Newman and my dad up somewhere. I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 pm

Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 am
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 pm

Well then I blame YOU

I really need to get that interview with David Newman and my dad up somewhere. I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine.
To my ears it’s Fort Knox. Please do it.

MichganMan

Post by MichganMan » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:59 am

From Metro Times in June:
|
β€œNo one wants to listen to boring ass old boomer f***s complain about everything that scares them. Save some money and broadcast a live stream from a nursing home rec room.”

Foamy wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:15 pm
whitebalance wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:42 pm
I'm surprised more hospice care facilities and funeral homes don't advertise on WJR. It's their demo.
That is the demo. Along with Geritol complete, hemorrhoid surgery done dirt cheap, and Adjustable toilets seats! :D

" Something Something Woke or go broke"

" Blah Blah Lets go Brandon"

" Yada yada Transgender's are destroying the country"

" mumble Mumble lazy Millennials"

Now for our hourly Ronald Reagan quote!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:50 pm

Truthfully, a lot of the "right wing" programming on WJR is gone. It's all on after 8PM. Guy Gordon has no opinion on anything, unless approved by management. Kevin and Tom are centrists, who constantly talk over each other. Paul W is too busy broadcasting from restaurants most people can't afford, or interviewing the station's cleaning crew, or resort owners up north. Then there's Mitch and the Crew, followed by Lomas and Kenny with Sportswrap, and whatever infomercial or fruity MSU show comes on, or the insipid "The Greening of the Great Lakes"

Hannity is long gone. Savage is long gone. Frank passed away. As for Foamy, and his 37 other sissy screen names, by my math, he's well over 40, and will catch up with us geezers faster than he thinks. :smokin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic