Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR, boring programming

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofann

Re: WJR, boring programming

Post by radiofann » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:11 am

With every sports game on either cable tv , free tv, or streaming, can live local sports broadcasts be a large local revenue driver?

Maybe pre or post game discussion shows?

I will listen to Paul w today to check out the quality of the advertisers.

Funny thing… I listen to these “retirement hour” infomercials on WWJ and WJR, even at 5 or 6 in the morning!

They give good food for thought about perspective on the economy, markets, and tax reduction moves to make if you’re close to or in retirement.

Up until November of last year, although I was within a few years of retirement, I did not feel old and I felt retirement was too far off and did not want to listen to those. I felt I was too young.

Then the auto industry changes to EVs, and many Ford folks , myself included, who were close to retirement took early lump sum and retired to avoid lump sum cut last November 2022. Lo and behold, I now listen closely as I DIY my own funds, I listen closely to the “retirement hour” type of infomercials!

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:39 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:24 am
radiofann wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:42 am
Help me understand How is a #16 rated station a ‘cash cow’.

WJR is sold on emotion, not ratings. As you yourself said, older listeners reminiscing. Older reminiscing advertisers who've been buying Paul W. etc. for years keep them in business.

Sports probably brings in the most coin though.

Maybe Mark could provide some revenue numbers.
Drew, on his podcast, has referenced WJR as being a top-biller. I could be wrong, but I don’t think he was joking.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:56 pm

Twenty to twenty five years ago, WJR, WWJ and WNIC out billed everyone else by a country mile. Each of those three stations pulled in close to $25 million annually at the time.

WJR is no longer in that elite group. A listing of top 20 or 25 AM band billing stations nationally was released not long ago. WWJ made the list; WJR did not.

I'll see if I can find that list (shared previously on the Buzzboard) tonight.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:20 pm

Found it:

https://www.insideradio.com/free/exclus ... 70c13.html

It was only a top 10 list, unfortunately.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:32 pm

One research tool I have available estimates WJR is on target to bill $8.5 million this year.

That is a very respectable number, especially in light of WJR's terrible money demo ratings. While nowhere near all time peak annual billings (which were near $25 million), many top 50 market stations in the current era are off 50 percent or more from all time peaks.

That same source estimates 950 WWJ will generate about $11 million. WWJ probably has more overhead than WJR, so the cash flow differential between the two stations is likely narrower.

WOOD Radio in Grand Rapids is pegged at $3.7 million.

The top FM stations in the Detroit market are in the ballpark of $10 million.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:23 pm

Today, on "The Best of Paul W" Paul interviewed the CEO of the cleaning company that cleans WJR's studios and offices in the Fisher Building. Fascinating.

I wonder how many barter spots they have to play for that riveting programming segment?

Only Mark Hollis could have made that interview less exciting.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

sizzlechest

Post by sizzlechest » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Col. Flagg, that is hilarious.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:57 pm

The question is, what brings WJR back towards the top? This is outside the box thinking, but perhaps a real Detroit centric talk format? You can still have your "everything is the LEFT'S fault" programming, but give Detroiters a reason to tune in.

Failing that, bring back beautiful music. There is nothing left to lose.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

rizzman87

Post by rizzman87 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:09 pm

Wasn't there a rumor by Tony Paul that WJR is going to go to all sports talk in the next couple of years.... This was like in 2020 if I remember correctly, and they did just let Sean B go so I guess I just answered my own question lol

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 pm

Nobody, especially cume-u-less, is going sports at all. WXYT owns that market here. No one wants national syndication here. The rights cost money, the hosts cost money, and they are all too cheap and lazy to do it. And it's worse now after the 105.1 debacle.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:56 pm

why do people on this board think every market needs like 11 sports stations? if they didn't do that when WJR actually had the Lions rights a few years ago it's not happening.

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:43 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:57 pm
The question is, what brings WJR back towards the top? This is outside the box thinking, but perhaps a real Detroit centric talk format? You can still have your "everything is the LEFT'S fault" programming, but give Detroiters a reason to tune in.

Failing that, bring back beautiful music. There is nothing left to lose.
With their studios, resources, reputation, and massive signal, some "out of the box" management could revive WJR. They could find lively local hosts and blocks of cultural material. What they are doing now seems almost textbook what not to do.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:47 am

The Chamber of Commerce and country club crowds like the milquetoast programming and are willing to fund it via ad dollars.

As long as that remains true, programming changes will remain underwhelming.

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:04 pm

The shame is that AM talkers are doing well in other big markets, KFI in L.A. is #2, WBZ in Boston is #5. There is no reason that our two 3-letter stations couldn't both be in Detroit's top 10.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:09 pm

WBZ is all news for large chunks of the broadcast day.

KFI is great! Too bad 760 does not sound more like them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic