Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit News fires Charlie LeDuff over c-word insult

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Detroit News fires Charlie LeDuff over c-word insult

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:20 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:15 am
unscopedaircheck wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:31 pm
He's really tough to watch when he's on Cuomo. Always trying to be cool.

PS: it was Dennis Green...not Herm Edwards.
Wasn't Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!"?
Yes. That’s how I got the two backwards… we modified that on my bowling league to “you bowl to hit the pins”…

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:23 am

Too bad he didn't work for the Freep. Their standards are lower. Case in point. Album is still employed.

In any case, Charlie didn't call Nessel a cunt in his tweet. He didn't even write C U next Tuesday. He wrote "See you next Tuesday." His column appears on Tuesday. He most likely is going to be writing about Nessel. Nope, shouldn't have been let go for that particular tweet in and of itself.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:34 am

Seems like they were looking to get rid of him already and this was the catalyst.

His salary really wasn't a lot. He probably brings in more on the podcast side. I think his podcast should go daily so Farc will be gone from DMP daily

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:19 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:23 am
.... He didn't even write C U next Tuesday. He wrote "See you next Tuesday." His column appears on Tuesday. He most likely is going to be writing about Nessel. Nope, shouldn't have been let go for that particular tweet in and of itself ...
You bring up a good point I've never thought about.

Myself, even with what you point out not being a factor, it surprises me somewhat that not only his fellow journalists, but also many here on Buzzboard, have an "Off With His Head" attitude towards him. None of those words, by themselves, are the least bit offensive.

I'm being honest here. And maybe I'm just not hip and cool. If I had read what he wrote before the hullabaloo it caused, I would of thought he was talking about his next column. All kidding aside.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:52 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:19 am
Bryce wrote:
.... He didn't even write C U next Tuesday. He wrote "See you next Tuesday." His column appears on Tuesday. He most likely is going to be writing about Nessel. Nope, shouldn't have been let go for that particular tweet in and of itself ...

Myself, even with what you point out not being a factor, it surprises me somewhat that not only his fellow journalists, but also many here on Buzzboard, have an "Off With His Head" attitude towards him. None of those words, by themselves, are the least bit offensive.

I'm being honest here. And maybe I'm just not hip and cool. If I had read what he wrote before the hullabaloo it caused, I would of thought he was talking about his next column. All kidding aside.

C'mon, seriously? He admitted what he was doing. Did you even read the Metro Times article?

In an interview with Metro Times on Monday morning, LeDuff was defiant and said he thought the insult was “clever” because his weekly column was published on Tuesdays.

“I’m not apologizing. I have nothing to apologize for. … I stand by it,” LeDuff says. “I said something clever on my own space because I am fucking pissed.”

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:09 pm

I go out of my way to NOT read the Metro Times. As the Brits would say, "I wouldn't wrap my fish & chips in it"

I think Charlie will be just fine. In fact, I am very surprised he's still in town. Perhaps he will become another "urban pioneer" like ML Elrick.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:13 pm

WJR should hire LeDuff. They are morons if they choose not to.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:13 pm
That's actually a fantastic idea. Too bad Charlie doesn't have the resume' of the exciting Mark Hollis, or "I have no opinion" Guy Gordon. Charlie isn't from the "Country Club" set, he's more from the "Swap Meet" or Flea market set. That's the trouble.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:00 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:52 pm
Round Six wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:19 am
Bryce wrote:

C'mon, seriously? He admitted what he was doing. Did you even read the Metro Times article?

In an interview with Metro Times on Monday morning, LeDuff was defiant and said he thought the insult was “clever” because his weekly column was published on Tuesdays.

“I’m not apologizing. I have nothing to apologize for. … I stand by it,” LeDuff says. “I said something clever on my own space because I am fucking pissed.”

That interview was after the fact.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:31 pm

I Love Nessel.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:23 pm

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:03 pm

MasterB wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:55 am
Charlie shouldn't have been fired there's much worse things to say that should get someone fired but calling Dana Nessel the C word isn't fireable offense in my opinion. Was in poor taste to post it on social media think before sending that doesn't seem to be common sense.
My opinion is this - go ahead and say the same phrase to a co worker that you have no relationship with. Just do it. See what happens. I guarantee you won’t have a job very quickly
MWmetalhead wrote:
Just make sure you have a 7 second delay on at all times

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:52 pm

That's assuming he would want to go there.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:20 am

Realist wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:03 pm
MasterB wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:55 am
Charlie shouldn't have been fired there's much worse things to say that should get someone fired but calling Dana Nessel the C word isn't fireable offense in my opinion. Was in poor taste to post it on social media think before sending that doesn't seem to be common sense.
My opinion is this - go ahead and say the same phrase to a co worker that you have no relationship with. Just do it. See what happens. I guarantee you won’t have a job very quickly
MWmetalhead wrote:
Just make sure you have a 7 second delay on at all times
I wouldn't ever say the C-word at work or a female.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:12 am

I've always wondered why "cunt" is an N-word level insult. Anyone have the background? If he called her bitch, asshole, dickhead, Democrat - it's all good. Cunt? Whoa whoa whoa, too far!

I tried Googling it, but that took me down a whole different rabbit hole.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic