Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit News fires Charlie LeDuff over c-word insult

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
dial-it-in

Re: Detroit News fires Charlie LeDuff over c-word insult

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:23 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:41 pm
I want to hear more from the people here who demand that journalists keep their opinions out of the news.
So here is the difference:

In a straight up news report opinions should be left on the shelf. Just give us the facts please without your bias: Left or Right
If its a weekly/daily column then thats a different story as the whole point of those is the writers views or feelings on a particular topic.

Personally, since this was a Tweet, I kind of feel it was in bad taste but not a fireable offense. Put it this way: many people have said way worse and still collect a paycheck.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:29 pm

The best line from the story: "LeDuff insists he didn’t need the Detroit News job, which he says paid “peanuts,” because of the success of his podcast." I'm sure he and Jason Carr are raking in the dough!

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:01 am

Was the see you next Tuesday regularly mentioned regarding other politicians in his column?

Don’t
Incite
Cockemaymied
Kerfuffles

Anyone want to try more

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:11 am

I just read the magazine “Hour Detroit” from spring 2023, it said he needed the Detroit News gig because “health insurance costs a lot”

I would assume he has the brains to get health care from the ACA exchanges. Bronze, silver, gold plans are available. If the podcast is giving him riches, it should be no problem affording the monthly premium and deductible.

If his podcast provides limited income, there are subsidies available for those at lower income levels.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:53 am

Drew will take care of him

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:34 pm

After reading what he actually wrote ("See you next Tuesday") in some social media post then I DO NOT think he should have been fired. He didn't actually call her a cunt, nor even used the "C U Next Tuesday" like many do. And it wasn't in any of his actual columns for the paper.

I think the News got bullied into getting rid of him. They caved to a bully. Shame on them for capitulating.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:50 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:17 pm
The guy has talent and can spin an interesting story. I don't know why he feels the need to be a disrespectful shock jock. Totally inappropriate.
Because he is… just from the vibe you get listening to the guy… either really icky and shady or he has boundary issues. He never sounds like someone I’d be flocking to associate with or hang out with…. To paraphrase Herm Edwards… He is who we think he is.

His insistence that he was doing the News job out of the kindness of its heart because it pays peanuts just emphasizes the kind of person he is…. He’ll spin his stupidity in an effort to not take responsibility for his actions. Not exactly a class act.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:31 pm

He's really tough to watch when he's on Cuomo. Always trying to be cool.

PS: it was Dennis Green...not Herm Edwards.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:33 pm

His column is published every Tuesday. Maybe he literally meant "see you in my next column"

Regardless, considering what shitty journalistic standards most places have these days, this is not the worst thing to have happened.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:35 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:23 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:41 pm
I want to hear more from the people here who demand that journalists keep their opinions out of the news.
So here is the difference:

In a straight up news report opinions should be left on the shelf. Just give us the facts please without your bias: Left or Right
If its a weekly/daily column then thats a different story as the whole point of those is the writers views or feelings on a particular topic.

Personally, since this was a Tweet, I kind of feel it was in bad taste but not a fireable offense. Put it this way: many people have said way worse and still collect a paycheck.
Social media is a printing press, what Chuckles said there was just like sending it onto to be cast upon dead trees. You'd think after all this time, people would learn that fact.

But no, people get on Twitter and Facebook and blow holes in their feet and their careers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:37 pm

unscopedaircheck wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:31 pm

Good point… for some reason I mess that one up all the time… no idea why.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:55 am

Charlie shouldn't have been fired there's much worse things to say that should get someone fired but calling Dana Nessel the C word isn't fireable offense in my opinion. Was in poor taste to post it on social media think before sending that doesn't seem to be common sense.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:15 am

unscopedaircheck wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:31 pm

Wasn't Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!"?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:22 am

Yeah, Jansen said it twice at 6:45 this morning during the Wide Nine.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:55 am
Charlie shouldn't have been fired there's much worse things to say that should get someone fired but calling Dana Nessel the C word isn't fireable offense in my opinion. Was in poor taste to post it on social media think before sending that doesn't seem to be common sense.
Ask the opinion of a woman. Ask the opinion of someone who voted for Nessel. I agree with the News' standards and it was a good call. A more competent writer could have used better words to convey the same emotions.

What Charlie has lost by getting fired is credibility. It's pretty hard for a columnist to get fired, and it will be even harder to land a new gig of similar reputation going forward.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic