Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mixed Feelings About WJR since their Lineup Change

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Radiobirdman

Mixed Feelings About WJR since their Lineup Change

Post by Radiobirdman » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:24 pm

I first thought that WJR's all-local lineup from 6 to 6 was a positive thing, in a time when syndicated shows are everywhere. But I have to admit that many of the shows don't hold my attention. I wish that Albom was still 5:00-7:00 because I like to listen when in the kitchen; to me his show is pretty amusing and informative. But I'm wondering if the day could be spiced-up with some shorter niche local programming like urban cultural or spotlight on local musicians, etc.

craig11152

Re: Mixed Feelings About WJR since their Lineup Change

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:10 pm

I no longer tune in. What happened to Mitch? And is his sidekick Kenny Brown still around?
I no longer directly engage trolls

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:21 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:10 pm
I no longer tune in. What happened to Mitch? And is his sidekick Kenny Brown still around?
Mitch has been moved from 5:00-7:00 to 4:00-6:00. Kenny is still around.

sizzlechest

Post by sizzlechest » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:27 pm

Chris Renwick's show rules. The rest of it? Not so much.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:37 pm

Baligian is the only show I listen to on any regular basis. Albom is still horrible, so is Guy Gordon. Paul W. has the same show, just at noontime. Still elitist sounding.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:10 pm

I find myself tuning in to 'JR less and less to the point of seldom these days. I'll hit the preset when Renwick is on and if he's talking about a topic that interests me, I'll stay for a bit. I'll swing by during Albom's time slot, but mostly because of Kevin O'Neill. (It's a nostalgia thing) but don't stay long. I like Levin in small doses, but if I have a need to hear what he is saying, I just listen to his podcast. The rest of the weekday programing just doesn't interest me anymore.

I do listen to the Inside/Outside guys if I'm in a vehicle on the weekend.

If they're loosing me, a 65 year old white guy, they be in trouble. Gut tells me their current programming isn't attracting younger folks either.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:22 am

No one under 50 even knows AM exists.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:21 pm

I had a dream, I was driving with small kids in the car, I explained that thing on the dash with knobs is a hands free app allowing you to get traffic and weather “on the eights (WWJ 950) “, and is used when your phone gets taken away.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:29 pm

Ever since the schedule change I rarely listen to WJR anymore. Prior, I really only listened to Albom. But now I get off work and the show is half over.

Today Albom is taking callers to bitch about self checkout at the store; something I’ve been hearing old people bitch about for 25 years. I turned it off after about 5 minutes, if that.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:10 pm
If they're loosing me, a 65 year old white guy, they be in trouble. Gut tells me their current programming isn't attracting younger folks either.
What a great way to put it. You've said it all.

I tune in once or twice a year for a moment strictly for the nostalgia of what it once was to the region, and to test propagation. I do the same with WLW. Nothing there to listen to, though.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:22 pm

One thing that hasn't changed....
"Sitting in for Paul W is..."

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:20 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:22 pm
One thing that hasn't changed....
"Sitting in for Paul W is..."
...the always riveting Mark Hollis. :smokin
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:02 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:29 pm
Ever since the schedule change I rarely listen to WJR anymore. Prior, I really only listened to Albom. But now I get off work and the show is half over.

Today Albom is taking callers to bitch about self checkout at the store; something I’ve been hearing old people bitch about for 25 years. I turned it off after about 5 minutes, if that.
I agree some of his topics are silly but to be fair, after a day of hearing about terrorism and mass shoootings I think some observational laughs or gripes are needed just as a kind of mental comfort food. And TBH self-checkout has gotten out of hand; the Kroger at Maple & Lahser is often self-checkout only and that surprises a Mom with an overflowing cart who was expecting a cashier and bagger.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:20 pm

I understand your point, but I wasn’t commenting on the topic of self checkouts in my post. That wasn’t my point. I was commenting on the content of a radio show. I don’t mean to be rude, but the complaining about it on the radio for the past 25 years, as well as the latter part of your comment, is exactly what I’m tired of listening to, and is why I turned off WJR that day.

Is the next topic going to be about how kids today don’t know how easy they have it, or that they spend too much time on their devices? Oh wait…

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:53 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:20 pm
I understand your point, but I wasn’t commenting on the topic of self checkouts in my post. That wasn’t my point. I was commenting on the content of a radio show. I don’t mean to be rude, but the complaining about it on the radio for the past 25 years, as well as the latter part of your comment, is exactly what I’m tired of listening to, and is why I turned off WJR that day.

Is the next topic going to be about how kids today don’t know how easy they have it, or that they spend too much time on their devices? Oh wait…
I don't disagree. And I admit that as I stop in and out of WJR during the day too much of the programming is banter about things even less vital than checkout or phones. As I suggested in my original post they would do better changing it up with shorter programs with a tighter focus or a highlight on an interesting personality or topic. And by the way - your username - When I was a kid I listened to CKLW uniquely with an antique Zenith I had found.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic