Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local media running cover for the U-M athletic department? Why did CBS Detroit edit its original report?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Local media running cover for the U-M athletic department? Why did CBS Detroit edit its original report?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:40 am

CBS Detroit yesterday reported now-former hockey player Johnny Druskinis (who was kicked off the team days ago, presumably for the incident I'm about to describe) was one of two individuals who defaced an Ann Arbor Jewish community center with graffiti / slurs in late August.

Now, all links to the surveillance video that aired on last night's newscasts are dead and the original written stories have been modified to remove all mention of Druskinis by name.

4, 7, 2, WWJ 950 and both dailies have not reported on the story. Yet, when a Jewish building in Royal Oak was defaced with swastikas last spring, all major news organizations reported on the incident. Similarly, when an off campus fraternity house was defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti last July, major media outlets reported the story extensively.

So, this begs the question:
-Why did CBS Detroit remove the surveillance video from its web page and heavily redact its original report?
-Why have all other local major news organizations refused to report on the incident?

https://mikeandjonpodcast.com/former-ha ... ce-center/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardba ... 2_39336167

Here is the bastardized version of channel 62's report:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... on-campus/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radiofann

Re: Local media running cover for the U-M athletic department? Why did CBS Detroit edit its original report?

Post by radiofann » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:19 am

Well these days universities and parents still pamper, protect, mollycoddle, helicopter over the students as if they are minors well below age 18 what used to be age of adulthood.

Keep in mind the ACA affordable care act allows kids to remain on parents health insurance until age 26.

Kids now don’t even wish to get their drivers license at age 16. So many are doing the process of ‘adulting’ later and later in life. Things like getting your own place to live and managing your own life and bills.

So maybe they still consider him a minor child and protect his identity. Or parents are wealthy donors to UM.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Local media running cover for the U-M athletic department? Why did CBS Detroit edit its original report?

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:06 pm

radiofann wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:19 am
Well these days universities and parents still pamper, protect, mollycoddle, helicopter over the students as if they are minors well below age 18 what used to be age of adulthood.

Keep in mind the ACA affordable care act allows kids to remain on parents health insurance until age 26.

Kids now don’t even wish to get their drivers license at age 16. So many are doing the process of ‘adulting’ later and later in life. Things like getting your own place to live and managing your own life and bills.

So maybe they still consider him a minor child and protect his identity. Or parents are wealthy donors to UM.
Yep. Mollycoddled, and so misunderstood :rolleyes
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:10 pm

The swastika part seems questionable. Several reports including AAPD with pictures of the sidewalk graffiti don't seem to mention a swastika.
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:34 pm

That was my error; slurs and male genitalia were spray painted. I have updated my opening post accordingly.

The Detroit Free Press is now reporting on the incident, for which I commend them!

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/univ ... 042840007/

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:41 pm

Interesting as the video footage was on the Free Press online story as late as 12:30pm today. I think it was taken down because they decided not to press charges. The kid came from a priviledged family so perhaps that has something to do with it.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/univ ... 042840007/

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:13 pm

No. They took it down because it may not have actually been him but someone he was with.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:30 pm

The video is on the Freep's site as we speak. Scroll down to the imbedded Facebook post from the Ann Arbor Police Department near the end of the article.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Now that we've gotten past the "OK, Boomer" portion of the thread, it wouldn't shock me if that was the case. I haven't had a chance to follow closely, but you know how everyone wants to "play nice" with each other, so as not to upset anyone.

Would I be shocked if there was indeed some affluent people being protected? Not at all. I'm tired of the haves having better than the have-nots when it comes to crime and investigations.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Pol Pot to defend a guy with a golden toilet.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:10 pm

The Michigan Daily appears to have done a good job at separating fact from fiction and highlighting a lot more information than I've seen in the MSM to date.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/tw ... ce-center/
Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:19 pm

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic