Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Chris Edmonds

Re: WOMC's Jim "JJ" Johnson Announces Retirement

Post by Chris Edmonds » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:39 am

Hey! I’m not 70….until April.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:42 am

Look at it this way, Chris. In six years you can run for president.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Chris Edmonds

Post by Chris Edmonds » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:13 am

😂😂😂

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:34 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:50 am
It's interesting to watch the same names get thrown around every time there's a shake up on the dial. Jesus Christ, many of these people are pushing 70, if not over. We are watching the names of those who were big when radio was relevant ride off into the sunset, and there are few names behind them that can deliver or have the name recognition. At a minimum, they all had a bullseye on their foreheads anyway. Radio is always making more cuts than a top notch Brooklyn butcher. They can always save the 100K salary and have Bob Schneider pipe it in from Denver. If I had walked by Bill Bonds in a store or something, I would have stopped and said "Holy shit! Was that Bill Bonds?! I wanna go say hi!". Now? If I passed by an anchor on channel 7, I would have no idea. Radio is the same way. We don't run down to Joe's record shop on Fridays to meet the rawkin' afternoon jock anymore. In a way, R6 is right. Fuck it. Just play the burned out music. Knock yourself out.
Bill Bonds was a trip, and a fun guy to work with :smokin

And I agree, if I see Karen Drew, or Rich Luterman in the supermarket, I pay no attention whatsoever. :lol

One reason why 700 WLW in Cincinnati does so well is because they have made an effort to cultivate new talent, even if it means stealing people from WEBN. Other than Holly Hutton, Chris Renwick, and a couple others, we haven't really done enough of growing new air talent here in the Motor City. That's why two of our top Urban stations have syndicated uniblab drive time shows, and that's ridiculous.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:06 pm

Chris Edmonds...Please Go For It. It would be great to hear you on morning radio again! :)
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:13 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:06 pm
Chris Edmonds...Please Go For It. It would be great to hear you on morning radio again! :)
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Chris Edmonds

Post by Chris Edmonds » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:10 pm

OMG! Now that’s a blast from the past.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:07 pm

Best wishes to JJ. I see him on Facebook from time to time.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:19 pm

Chris Edmonds wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:10 pm
OMG! Now that’s a blast from the past.
I'm trying to remember where I picked that up, but it might have been a small chain called "Believe In Music", which may have had a store around Benton Harbor, where you could hear WEFM. But it seems like I got it at a branch somewhere outside the WEFM service area, so they may have delivered it to all their stores so they would have a Survey in the store for reference.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm

December 2, 2023

Jim Johnson awakens after sleeping in for the first time in over 50 years. He gets out of bed and turns on NewsMax. He shakes his fist in anger. "All these years I've been in morning radio and I have missed that Democrats cause 96% of murders!" he exclaims.

He makes his way out to the front yard. The light snow overnight has covered up the ash from the celebratory cross burning the night before. "I hope this doesn't screw up the white power parade", he thinks as he looks across the street. "Ugh", he grunts, then shuts the door. "I can't believe THEY allowed Darnell and his welfare queen girlfriend to live on this block. What is this city coming to?" he asks himself rhetorically.

He heads over to his computer. He moves the Astroglide and Puffs box, closes the windows that are playing election night 2016 coverage and opens a new window. "I need to stay in touch with the outside world", he thinks. He Googles "white supremacy", "great replacement theory" and "CRT IS COMMUNISM!" He sees a result and names to go along it.

He then joins the group. People with names like Bryce, Ben Zonia, and km1125. He fits in there! But, wait...what...what is THIS? "Liberalism has infiltrated THIS place, too? Can we not have ANYTHING to ourselves?" he yells as he pounds his fist on his desk. "Good thing I'm retired now...I have a LOT of work to do".
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:50 pm

⬆️
Nailed it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm
December 2, 2023

Jim Johnson awakens after sleeping in for the first time in over 50 years. He gets out of bed and turns on NewsMax. He shakes his fist in anger. "All these years I've been in morning radio and I have missed that Democrats cause 96% of murders!" he exclaims.

He makes his way out to the front yard. The light snow overnight has covered up the ash from the celebratory cross burning the night before. "I hope this doesn't screw up the white power parade", he thinks as he looks across the street. "Ugh", he grunts, then shuts the door. "I can't believe THEY allowed Darnell and his welfare queen girlfriend to live on this block. What is this city coming to?" he asks himself rhetorically.

He heads over to his computer. He moves the Astroglide and Puffs box, closes the windows that are playing election night 2016 coverage and opens a new window. "I need to stay in touch with the outside world", he thinks. He Googles "white supremacy", "great replacement theory" and "CRT IS COMMUNISM!" He sees a result and names to go along it.

He then joins the group. People with names like Bryce, Ben Zonia, and km1125. He fits in there! But, wait...what...what is THIS? "Liberalism has infiltrated THIS place, too? Can we not have ANYTHING to ourselves?" he yells as he pounds his fist on his desk. "Good thing I'm retired now...I have a LOT of work to do".
Holy hell this is great…

msd

Post by msd » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 am

Thank you J.J.

My favorite character on the W.R.I.F morning show was Brutus, or Bam, Bam, I don't remember what the tough guy character's name was? I still don't know if he was a real person, or if he was a gimick of your own voice.

I had 30-50, or more W.R.I.f. stickers. I wonder how many summers I spent going to the mail box everyday, to see if any new stickers had arrived. My favorite was the purple Bob Seger with the silver bullet. I can't find them now. They may be worth money these dayst.. Maybe somebody stole them? I can't forget the W.R.I.F card- No Disco.

Then there was the BaBy girl, Karen? I remember a poster of her in my bedroom, when I was about 13, that I got at Autorama. Ha, Ha, if you know what I mean.

Thank you J.J. I had a good childhood.
Shane

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
December 2, 2023

What a fucking loser post. So you think he sucks because he’s a Republican?
Rail on the guy all you want because you don’t like his style or whatever. But don’t be an asshole because you don’t like his politics. As if you’re any better. GFY.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:04 pm

ProducerXM wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
December 2, 2023

What a fucking loser post. So you think he sucks because he’s a Republican?
Rail on the guy all you want because you don’t like his style or whatever. But don’t be an asshole because you don’t like his politics. As if you’re any better. GFY.
December 2, 2023
Mega Hertz awakens after sleeping in (like he does every day) makes his way to the bathroom and looks in the mirror and says to himself J.J. Is no longer on the radio. I guess I’ll have to listen to butt rock on WLLZ. As Mega Hertz makes his way to the computer to make another loser post on Buzzboard, he now realizes that he is just a moron and should have never posted that about J.J. on the Buzzboard. Politics aside J.J. gave over 50 years to Detroit Radio and is a radio legend in this town. congratulations J.J., I hope for the best for you and have a great retirement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic