Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Constant negativity

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Newsman123

Constant negativity

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 am

This board is certainly a place to gripe and share opinions. But all I see is constant posts being critical of on-air talent in the market. Calling them “clueless” or “liars” etc. These are veteran onair people making six figure salaries, because veteran media executives determined their place and talent. Show some respect.

Former has-been critics on here being overly critical is just rude and un constructive.

Kim Adams for one, is making close to 500K a year and is a Chief in market 15 for a reason, whether you like it or not.

The mainline folks on WWJ, for another example, were selected for very specific reasons, and are all highly regarded in their field. Whether you like em or not is irrelevant.

Sharing behind the scenes tidbits or asking insider questions is cool. But constant bitterness for the same arm charm qb’s is getting old to read.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Constant negativity

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:11 am

Maybe the people in question should work harder and stop delivering such a sloppy product to their audiences.

Sorry to hear you and your brethren hate accountability.

Does AccuWeather still think "Oakland" is a city around here?
Whether you like em or not is irrelevant.
Likability and credibility do not matter?

By the way, I've been complimentary of Kim Adams when warranted. She was excellent with severe weather coverage recently. I've also been critical when warranted. I think the good outweighs the bad and I prefer her on-air work as a whole to that of Andrew Humphrey. That said, her forecast from this morning was rather illogical from a meteorological vantage point. Maybe I'll be proven wrong as today plays out.

Some people in the media have a "my shit doesn't stink" attitude. Sometimes the content simply isn't as good as some of these folks believe.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:25 am

Well, there's another media board where they have been known to ban people for "negative comments." Newsman123 might be happier there.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:12 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 am
This board is certainly a place to gripe and share opinions. But all I see is constant posts being critical of on-air talent in the market. Calling them “clueless” or “liars” etc. These are veteran onair people making six figure salaries, because veteran media executives determined their place and talent. Show some respect.

Former has-been critics on here being overly critical is just rude and un constructive.

Kim Adams for one, is making close to 500K a year and is a Chief in market 15 for a reason, whether you like it or not.

The mainline folks on WWJ, for another example, were selected for very specific reasons, and are all highly regarded in their field. Whether you like em or not is irrelevant.

Sharing behind the scenes tidbits or asking insider questions is cool. But constant bitterness for the same arm charm qb’s is getting old to read.
Would you recommend we applaud her for getting overpaid?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:36 pm

Nobody in this market is making 500k a year on air.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:40 pm

Newsman,

Look at this board like the call in sports talks show. Professionals in high profile careers should know that this is part of the job.

She could be working at NWS and nobody here would call her out by name... Ever.

She seems like a nice person, but that isn't why she is mentioned here.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/features ... g-to-wdiv/
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:46 pm

Newsman123 wrote:

Yes, those reasons are:

1. It is market 15 and she works cheap. Fifteen years ago, she might command that and get it. I don't believe she makes anywhere near that today. They were not paying that in total for their previous talent.

2. The general manager at WDIV wants to do exactly what he did in Jacksonville; scare moms and old ladies with stories read by moms and young ladies.

3. No one in the smartphone age gives TV "meteorologists" any credibility. When they constructively dismissed the real ones, they crossed a line and there is no going back. WDIV knew this and went head-long with #2.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:01 pm

There are still some pretty good on-air meteorologists around these parts. I think Rich Luterman and Alan Longstreet on Fox 2 are both very good. Ahmed on 62 clearly knows his stuff. Mike Taylor on 7 appears knowledgeable, too. Ashlee on 4 is not bad and is an upgrade from her predecessor.

Blake Harms on WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids is excellent. There are several other folks in that market who are pretty good.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:08 pm

Newsman123 wrote:

Grow a pair, Sally.
Accountability, criticisms, praise, suggestions etc. are all going to happen in very public professions.
Its not out of bounds to expect a quality product from Detroit media.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:06 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:36 pm
They absolutely are. Not many, but a few holdovers are. And Kim A came in at 400.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:07 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:46 pm
Newsman123 wrote:

Yes, those reasons are:

1. It is market 15 and she works cheap. Fifteen years ago, she might command that and get it. I don't believe she makes anywhere near that today. They were not paying that in total for their previous talent.

2. The general manager at WDIV wants to do exactly what he did in Jacksonville; scare moms and old ladies with stories read by moms and young ladies.

3. No one in the smartphone age gives TV "meteorologists" any credibility. When they constructively dismissed the real ones, they crossed a line and there is no going back. WDIV knew this and went head-long with #2.

400K a year aint cheap.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:14 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:16 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:06 pm
Editorcj wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:36 pm
They absolutely are. Not many, but a few holdovers are. And Kim A came in at 400.
I'd imagine Devin Scilian is up there.

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:01 pm
There are still some pretty good on-air meteorologists around these parts. I think Rich Luterman and Alan Longstreet on Fox 2 are both very good. Ahmed on 62 clearly knows his stuff. Mike Taylor on 7 appears knowledgeable, too. Ashlee on 4 is not bad and is an upgrade from her predecessor.

Blake Harms on WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids is excellent. There are several other folks in that market who are pretty good.
Blake would be a steal for any Detroit station. He has the knowledge and know-how. Have you ever seen his school closing predictions?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:00 pm

Not yet. I'd love to hear a brief description, though, of the concept.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic