Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August book

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Re: August book

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:11 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:44 pm
I thought we were promised a change at 107.5 something like three years ago. Chop, chop.
107.5 should be 100% Classic Soul. They should hire Foody. A couple years ago, WMXD shit canned his Sunday night show, which was excellent, and replaced it with reruns of Keith Sweat. :x

It's absolutely absurd for the "Motown" to not have a Classic Soul station, for godsakes. There's music from 1965 to 1990 that blends together nicely. If tiny WLTH in Gary, Indiana can make a living doing that, why can't WGPR? :hat

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:01 am

100 percent agreed!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:22 pm

I agree 100%, also. Detroit has such a rich musical heritage and Motown was H*** for years. A literal hit factory. The fact that it's packed away in the basement under the old yearbooks and sweaters is a damn shame.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:11 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:44 pm
I thought we were promised a change at 107.5 something like three years ago. Chop, chop.
107.5 should be 100% Classic Soul. They should hire Foody. A couple years ago, WMXD shit canned his Sunday night show, which was excellent, and replaced it with reruns of Keith Sweat. :x

It's absolutely absurd for the "Motown" to not have a Classic Soul station, for godsakes. There's music from 1965 to 1990 that blends together nicely. If tiny WLTH in Gary, Indiana can make a living doing that, why can't WGPR? :hat
Yes, 100% yes. It makes so much sense.
...So it won't happen. :rollin

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:10 pm

The Breeze was playing all those 60s motown classics.
Music is my life.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:33 pm

My comments about the August ratings start with the number one station WKQI. If they're number one overall for the
third straight book and with an audience that has some over 35 listening then maybe one of the other stations should
try to give them competition. All I can say about "The Ticket" at number two is that Detroit still is a very active sports town.
I was right when I said earlier that WYCD was the station that would increase its listenership and being number three is
most impressive. I guessed right that WMXD and WOMC would be in the top five but what I didn't expect was WCSX at
number six. WCSX is still the number one Classic Rock station and I don't expect their competition WLLZ to ever come
close to the ratings of WCSX.
One other thing regarding WCSX that has nothing to do with the monthly radio ratings is that somebody in an earlier
post mentioned that WCSX runs an all Bob Seger show on the weekends. What I'd like to know is the following:
1. When does it air?
2. How long is it?
3. Do they play some good deep cuts by Bob or is the show just the hits that WCSX, WLLZ , and other classic rockers play
throughout the course of the week?
Please post the answer to the three questions because if they play some good deep cuts by Bob I'd like to listen on line
since I don't expect to be in the Detroit area anytime soon.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:51 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:10 pm
The Breeze was playing all those 60s motown classics.
Oh, please :lol

The Breeze barely scratched the surface, and all of the sissy Ed Sheeran tunes one was forced to sit through to hear the 3 dozen R&B tunes they played was not worth the pain.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:00 pm

After the first 8 or 9 months, you are right that 98.7 scaled back on the older material quite a bit. The station was sounding more contemporary toward the end.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:25 pm

Besides, a national owner and format will only play the hits that pander to the white offices. Black owned and operated will go a LOT deeper.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:05 pm

Urban One missed its chance not to turn 107.5 into a "Classix" station like its 107.9 in Philly when they operated the station. The Hot format targets an audience that by and large doesn't use radio any more, so a Classic Soul/Old School format makes the most sense since 92.3, 105.1 and 105.9 (and 95.5 to an extent) have Classic Hip-Hop covered. Speaking of which, 105.9's music is sounding a little less "smooth" these days; I'm hearing more overlap with Bounce and hip-hop throwbacks 105.9 wasn't playing before.
As recently as 20 years ago, WNIC was including a couple of '60s Motown nuggets in its own playlist, unusual since even at that point most AC stations had dropped the '60s.
The closest thing there is to a Classic R&B/Soul station in Detroit currently is 107.5 HD2 and they seem to play mostly '70s and '80s when I tune in. Only CKWW and WPON are playing the '60s Motown classics on a regular basis.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:43 pm

I recall that just 15 years ago WNIC was playing multiple 60s Motown songs an hour.
The playlist was mainly 60s-90s, with maybe one 2000s song thrown in per hour, unlike now where it's just a random mess of songs that don't sound remotely good back to back.

Here is an hour and a half of music, from a 2006 Aircheck.

KC & The Sunshine Band - Shake Your Booty
Melissa Etheridge - I'm The Only One
Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
Soft Cell - Tained Love
The Temptations - Just My Imagination
Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now
Robert Palmer - Bad Case Of Loving You
Billy Joel - My Life
Marc Anthony - Need To Know
The Foundations - Baby, Now That I've Found You
Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Rod Stewart - Reason to Believe (MTV Unplugged)
Orleans - Still the One
John Mellencamp - Authority Song
Michael Buble - Home
Boston - More Than a Feeling
Seal - Kiss From a Rose
Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine
Faith Hill - Breath

I'm not saying they need to go back to playing 60s and 70s music, but Kid Laroi ft. Justin Bieber followed by Richard Marx is atrocious.
That's why there is a discrepancy between Cume and overall ratings. People change the station after 5 min.
There needs to be more thought put into the music scheduling. It looks like someone added random songs and hit shuffle.
Look how nicely the songs flow from that 2006 aircheck
Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic