Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox 2 :: Your PQ Sucks

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolidGoldDancers

Fox 2 :: Your PQ Sucks

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:04 pm

Dear Fox 2,

Your picture quality sucks. Now I know some of the motion artifacts are coming over the network, especially that halo affect around players because of the grass, but holy crap if I were AT&T, I'd ask for a refund for that mottled paid graphic over the score.

Channel 7, you're not far behind, so quit laughing. None of you edgy ATSC 3.0 stations have anything to be happy about with respect to the Lighthouse station video quality, but Fox 2's is especially shameful.

Somehow, Channel 11 out of Toledo manages a metric stupid-ton of sub-channels and yet their sports don't look like a 300x200 YouTube video over 56k dial-up. Maybe Fox's engineering team can make a phone call on Tuesday to Toledo to figure out how it is done.

SGD

km1125

Re: Fox 2 :: Your PQ Sucks

Post by km1125 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:46 pm

Is this only on the 3.0 broadcasts, or are you seeing this on their regular channels? I have not seen any of their 3.0 stuff yet.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:15 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:46 pm
Is this only on the 3.0 broadcasts, or are you seeing this on their regular channels? I have not seen any of their 3.0 stuff yet.
No, it is everything. The halo effect around people (more like a watery ghosty outline) was coming from network and was confirmed by looking at Fox 36 out of Toledo as well. But the mottled graphics and ratty on-screen graphics were very much a Fox 2 specialty. I thought it might be the TV having signal problems, but signal levels for both VHF and the ATSC 3 signal were quite good. And being different transmitter sites, I would think multipath errors affecting eb/NO would not be present on both.

Realistically, I should just watch a lot less football.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:11 pm

So this was just on one game? I don't think any of the artifacts you've described could ever happen on the signal transmission from station to your house... you're either going to get it or you're not (or some amount of tiling in between). I must have missed the game you were watching so I didn't notice anything you're describing here.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:16 pm

I had a chance to gather some data today. ATSC3...they're not even trying. Not sure how they think 8 megabits is acceptable for sports with MPEG2 encoding, but hey, that passive income from showing old TV shows I guess is too hard to pass.

Image Image Image Image

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:39 pm

I figured out some of the issue. 2,4,7 are carrying WMYD on their legacy streams in order to use WMYD's license for ATSC 3.0.

But holy crap is the ATSC 3.0 PQ awful, and the lighthouse station is making everything else awful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic