Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

910 am super station breaking news

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mr v

Re: 910 am super station breaking news

Post by mr v » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:54 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:42 am
bmw wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 am
Speaking of downgrades, I tried giving Jason Smith/Mark Harmon a listen last night. I had to turn it off after 5 minutes because it sounded like they were both hopped up on multiple shots of Espresso, constantly speaking in a borderline "yelling" voice.

And that's a major disappointment for me because Jason Smith was once upon a time one of my favorite radio sports personalities back when he had a solo show on ESPN a little over ten years ago (AllNite with Jason Smith). Paired with Mike Harmon, I find them both completely unlistenable.
They can NOT be worse than Jim Rome... JFC, that dude just rambles on for his entire show.
Rome's show could be cut in half because he repeats everything. So much of his show with the clones riff off, or whatever it is, is a bunch of inside jokes of callers bashing one another. My work vehicle CD player gets a lot of work after 1 PM.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:46 pm

The switching might not be done yet, I thought I heard one of the local news stations when they were talking about this story that there was a rumor that would be a move to conservative talk

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:25 am
.... Because Riverview wouldn't allow WFDF to build its towers near the WJR site, they had to build it in Carleton ....
Interesting. Wonder why they allowed Smile FM at 89.5.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:46 pm
The switching might not be done yet, I thought I heard one of the local news stations when they were talking about this story that there was a rumor that would be a move to conservative talk
I saw that, too.

It makes me wonder, who is really left to fill time? WJR and WDTK have all the first, second and third string talkers. You might get one local personality, but even then, wouldn't your first choice be WJR?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

edj

Post by edj » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:04 pm

Premiere Networks (Glenn Beck and Clay & Buck) would be likely spots if 910 goes conservative talk. Morning drive might be local and that would be it unless Adell wants to spend.

atariboy

Post by atariboy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:32 pm

mr v wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:54 am

Rome's show could be cut in half because he repeats everything. So much of his show with the clones riff off, or whatever it is, is a bunch of inside jokes of callers bashing one another. My work vehicle CD player gets a lot of work after 1 PM.
Yeah Rome's show is really about... Rome's show. The guy (and his listeners) love to talk about themselves and each other. Occasionally they'll talk about the major sports teams in California, but I can't imagine that plays well here.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:15 pm

edj wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:04 pm
Premiere Networks (Glenn Beck and Clay & Buck) would be likely spots if 910 goes conservative talk. Morning drive might be local and that would be it unless Adell wants to spend.
Clay & Buck are tanking in multiple markets. I honestly think Demenski & Doyle were more interesting :rollin

Meanwhile, Glenn Beck has been tangled up in some sort of copyright kerfuffle.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:08 pm

If WFDF becomes Talk Radio I won't be surprised if Coast To Coast AM is aired overnights.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:56 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:15 pm

Meanwhile, Glenn Beck has been tangled up in some sort of copyright kerfuffle.
Again? I thought that was a few years ago.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:14 pm

The current Glenn Beck thing has something to do with the podcasts. I suggested Premiere because it would be large market coverage they haven’t had since the horrendous WCXI debacle.

The brief times I tuned in today, it was Fox Sports. I was in Livonia today, and the Roar is also Fox Sports. I can’t see both stations carrying it for long. I know Gregg Henson says the Roar is going away, but no timetable.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:01 pm

On the fabulous Ron Cameron show today, he said something was going on with Sima, but he wouldn't elaborate. Could he be in negotiations to buy 910? It wouldn't be too surprising. Gutting talent, even volunteers, has been a sign of a sale in the past.

Maybe I am reading too much into this.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:47 pm

edj wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:01 pm
On the fabulous Ron Cameron show today, he said something was going on with Sima, but he wouldn't elaborate. Could he be in negotiations to buy 910?
Does Detroit need another station to carry Brother Stair's old tapes 24/7?

TheFuersty

Post by TheFuersty » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:54 pm

edj wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am
They switched to ESPN earlier this hour, then back to Fox Sports in the middle of a sentence! This is either a stunt or incompetence.
I'm always puzzled by this sort of activity. There's so much formality in officially broadcasting on public airwaves, and in many ways so much antiquated pomp and circumstance.

But I don't know how a public broadcast is seemingly bouncing around between grabbing and broadcasting random mega broadcaster sequence.

I know there's no real consequence (in spite of the potential fines, really no one cares to be appropriately cynical) but what does it gain you as some what basically becomes pirtate broadcaster of some temp national signal? What's the game?

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:47 am

TheFuersty wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:54 pm
edj wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 am
They switched to ESPN earlier this hour, then back to Fox Sports in the middle of a sentence! This is either a stunt or incompetence.
I'm always puzzled by this sort of activity. There's so much formality in officially broadcasting on public airwaves, and in many ways so much antiquated pomp and circumstance.

But I don't know how a public broadcast is seemingly bouncing around between grabbing and broadcasting random mega broadcaster sequence.

I know there's no real consequence (in spite of the potential fines, really no one cares to be appropriately cynical) but what does it gain you as some what basically becomes pirtate broadcaster of some temp national signal? What's the game?
Someone probably pushed a wrong button.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:44 am

Sometimes down here in northwest Ohio, WMTR which airs the Tigers accidentally winds up airing the gambling talk (VSIN?) that 97.1 airs when the Tigers go into rain delay and they don't switch back to their local programming.

I might expect that from a station in Archbold, OH. But one in Detroit? wow.

and yeah, Fox Sports Radio is total ass. As much as Rome's act has jumped the shark over the last 15 years, they were better with him, or then with Jay Mohr's show which basically ripped off Rome. Other than Dan Patrick who can't be that far from retirement, they have nothing. 1230 here in Toledo doesn't even air them at night anymore, they started running gambling talk instead about a year and a half before sports betting was even legal in Ohio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic