Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fake Wheels still sucks

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Fake Wheels still sucks

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:11 pm

windsor wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:05 pm
Todays Deep Cut.....Kim Mitchell " go for soda"

Some suggestions for the Doc of Rock.....

Rainbow. Power
ZZTop. Pocket full of change
Y&T. Summer time girls
Extreme. Hole hearted
Donnie Iris. Ahh Leah
Tesla. Modernday cowboy

Those would fit the format.
Hole Hearted...there's a lost track. Let's throw on Get the Funk Out, too!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 pm

I still say Jackyl would be a good choice, also.
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 pm
Perfect, if you're aiming for the crowd who watches the WWF, and goes to the demolition derby. :rolleyes

I can see it now "We've taken the Wheels off!" This is the New 106.7 The Trailer! :rollin

As an old AOR guy, our biggest hurdle was trying to convince clients that our audience reached professional people. This was especially true at WIOT. Corporate ownership put all of that in reverse. WLLZ has very little effort being put into it, and clearly by people who don't understand the market. More G'NR, Motley Crue, and Quiet Riot isn't the answer. WLLZ should going after WRIF. Leave CCR and Steppenwolf for WCSX.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:38 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
That first Jackyl album is a good listen. Z Rock played the hell out of it when it came out and really supported them.

Notable tracks......The lumberjack
I Stand alone
Down on me
Dirty little mind
When will it rain

Wheelz should add Lumberjack and Down on me to their playlist.

Hello iheart and Casey....at least as a deep cut but should be regular rotation.....dump War and "low rider".
F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:36 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:19 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Perfect, if you're aiming for the crowd who watches the WWF, and goes to the demolition derby. :rolleyes

I can see it now "We've taken the Wheels off!" This is the New 106.7 The Trailer! :rollin

As an old AOR guy, our biggest hurdle was trying to convince clients that our audience reached professional people. This was especially true at WIOT. Corporate ownership put all of that in reverse. WLLZ has very little effort being put into it, and clearly by people who don't understand the market. More G'NR, Motley Crue, and Quiet Riot isn't the answer. WLLZ should going after WRIF. Leave CCR and Steppenwolf for WCSX.
Fair dues, but...

1. Have you heard contemporary rock music? Jesus Christ. I turned it off and watched a documentary on ferns.

2. For 50 years, anyone that goes toe to toe with WRIF loses. It's well known. Nobody is gonna try it now, what with narrowing playlists and terrible product being marketed.
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:09 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

And by the way, I will have you know I live in a nice house in downtown Brighton, sir.

Of course, when that album came out, I DID live in a trailer 🤣
-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:30 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Thats crap. While of course people who want more kick ass rock and roll from the 80's and 90's and some 200's will no doubt include that demographic, its also going to include a lot of folks like me who simply are tired of Bob Seger, the 2 songs from the Scorpions. the 3 songs from Bon Jovi, the 3 songs from AC/DC, the 3 songs from Metallica etc. Your solution "Going after WRIF" implies those folks dont have some trailer dwellers? That doesnt make sense. I'd wager the demographic that prefers 80 and 90's rock and roll has more advertiser desirability and disposable income than the group that prefers current rock. I get that it might be a perception they are fighting but really its just logic. the older demographic will have more money, time and income. Get a better playlist and you'll get better ratings. Get better ratings and you'll get more advertisers.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:55 am

dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:30 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Thats crap. While of course people who want more kick ass rock and roll from the 80's and 90's and some 200's will no doubt include that demographic, its also going to include a lot of folks like me who simply are tired of Bob Seger, the 2 songs from the Scorpions. the 3 songs from Bon Jovi, the 3 songs from AC/DC, the 3 songs from Metallica etc. Your solution "Going after WRIF" implies those folks dont have some trailer dwellers? That doesnt make sense. I'd wager the demographic that prefers 80 and 90's rock and roll has more advertiser desirability and disposable income than the group that prefers current rock. I get that it might be a perception they are fighting but really its just logic. the older demographic will have more money, time and income. Get a better playlist and you'll get better ratings. Get better ratings and you'll get more advertisers.
Stale playlists are only part of the reason stations like Fake Wheels flop.

8 minute stop sets, zero street presence or marketing, boring promotions ( text 12345 for a chance to win yawn) and unknown meh vt talent set a station up for mediocrity at best ( EX: the former PU Country 931 )

WRIF at least makes an effort with talent, visibility and promotions.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:36 am

Looking at the new morn guy Spencer Graves he is also morn at iheart 102.5 the Bull in Birmingham Ala.
Could iheart be ready to flip at labour day to country as 106.7 the Bull???

That would mean the second time for the Doc to be displaced by a country format on the same freq.

Would be ashame to lose the call letters again .

Dont understand iheart if your thinking of a flip why not open that playlist up and rock out and see the reaction next ratings book. Put up a bit if a fight at least.

Iheart just throws in the towel on their rock formats in the D how pathetic.
F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:13 pm

Scroll through the posts on their Facebook page this week and see how many times they misspelled "Just Announced." It's sad and laughable at the same time.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:20 pm

The labor day weekend is a few days away.... any indications that WLLZ might flip to country ?

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:31 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:20 pm
The labor day weekend is a few days away.... any indications that WLLZ might flip to country ?
None that I have heard, but they are fools if they do. Nobody wants to be the "other" country station. That's not a good position in any market.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:47 pm

I agree.

106.7 brings cume to the cluster (read: white males) that its sister stations largely bypass.

The Fox was a dud, and Gnash / P.U. 93.1 was mostly a dud (the station did enjoy a couple brief "good" moments).

I could see 106.7 possibly flipping if WYCD becomes such a juggernaut that it begins to hurt WKQI and/or WNIC's share of market and revenue.

Until then, I think it makes sense to stay the course with the current format.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:07 pm

The past few times a 2nd country station came to the Detroit market, the ratings were mainly not anywhere close to what WYCD had. I don't think iHeart should try again now.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:12 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:07 pm
The past few times a 2nd country station came to the Detroit market, the ratings were mainly not anywhere close to what WYCD had. I don't think iHeart should try again now.
Based on IHR's track record, they shouldn't try again ever!

Hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to remember a time when we had FOUR country stations. Three of which were on the AM dial. The country radio wars were not as fierce as the rock radio wars, but they certainly did happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic