Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

P-U Country 93-1 is moving to...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
armchair pd

Re: P-U Country 93-1 is moving to...

Post by armchair pd » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:59 am

thatonedude wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:53 pm
As much as I wish the Detroit dial wasn’t loaded with religious garbage or cookie-cutter formats, it seems that the only people who will pony up the cash for terrestrial radio facilities are religious broadcasters. If you ask me, it’s getting to be overkill.

Where I’m at now in Oregon, there are at least SIX different frequencies airing some sort of religious-based programming. Mostly K-Love and Air1. I’ve had the “pleasure” of listening to them; I think I’d rather watch paint dry. Absolutely boring programming. But out here, they eat that shit up. It’s mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's only overkill if people aren't listening, and as you just said, people are eating it up.

FM music radio in 2023 is where AM music radio was in 1981: Mostly irrelevant on the way to extinction. Changing technology is certainly a big reason, but in many ways the industry did it to themselves.

RIP WDRQ :(

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:16 am

thatonedude wrote:
As much as I wish the Detroit dial wasn’t loaded with religious garbage or cookie-cutter formats, it seems that the only people who will pony up the cash for terrestrial radio facilities are religious broadcasters. If you ask me, it’s getting to be overkill.

Where I’m at now in Oregon, there are at least SIX different frequencies airing some sort of religious-based programming. Mostly K-Love and Air1. I’ve had the “pleasure” of listening to them; I think I’d rather watch paint dry. Absolutely boring programming. But out here, they eat that shit up. It’s mind boggling.

Amen. It's so much better when those stations are pumping out quality butt rock. We can never have enough Kansas, Boston, or Pink Floyd on the radio dial.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:19 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:16 am
thatonedude wrote:

Amen. It's so much better when those stations are pumping out quality butt rock. We can never have enough Kansas, Boston, or Pink Floyd on the radio dial.
Yeah, so, you tried that one on me in another forum and it didn't work there, either. Nobody is clamoring for more of that. Idk if you noticed, but this time the station was a country station. I think the aggravation comes from the fact that it's a choice of four 150 song playlist formats or Jesus stations, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a stranglehold on the non-comm dial, also. Trust me, nobody is upset we aren't getting another station that plays the only 150 rock songs released between 1967 and 2023.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:21 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:19 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:16 am
thatonedude wrote:

Yeah, so, you tried that one on me in another forum and it didn't work there, either. Nobody is clamoring for more of that. Idk if you noticed, but this time the station was a country station. I think the aggravation comes from the fact that it's a choice of four 150 song playlist formats or Jesus stations, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a stranglehold on the non-comm dial, also. Trust me, nobody is upset we aren't getting another station that plays the only 150 rock songs released between 1967 and 2023.
They wouldn't be invading the commercial dial if the commercial dial had anything useful on it. What other format should end up here that wouldn't be the same dreck, or some ultra niche format that isnt profitable?

No commercial broadcaster is coming to put a good station on the air. Christian stations by and large have live on-air staff, do community outreach, and create engagement with their listeners. You know, all the things everyone on here clamors for. But they're the ones ruining radio?

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:11 am

I just noticed ….. 1100am they had flipped officially.

Now with live on air talent too.

I predict this has a year maybe.

WDRQ you will be missed on the Detroit Fm dial

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:17 am

RayQix wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:11 am

I predict this has a year maybe.

:lol: :rollin

You know what, I agree. FLR will realize the format is a H*** ratings flop and flip it to a hybrid hot talk/active rock format.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:35 am

armchair pd wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:27 pm
While I love the WDRQ calls and agree the WDVD calls suck, that would confuse the audience.
They honestly don't care about call letters.
I'm not sure about not caring, but certainly unless 96.3 is going to change the format - like moving more rhythmic Top 40 - it doesn't make sense to change the calls.

How about killing off ALT 98.7 and taking on 95.5 as 'The New 98-7 DRQ'?

Nah... that would investment in on-air talent.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:27 pm

DRQ had so many different phases / formats during its two runs, I honestly don't know what a modern day station redeploying that brand should sound like.

FLR is here to stay on 93.1, I suspect. They've been operating WUGN in mid-Michigan successfully for decades.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:22 pm

lush.rimbaugh wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:35 am
armchair pd wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:27 pm
While I love the WDRQ calls and agree the WDVD calls suck, that would confuse the audience.
They honestly don't care about call letters.
I'm not sure about not caring, but certainly unless 96.3 is going to change the format - like moving more rhythmic Top 40 - it doesn't make sense to change the calls.

How about killing off ALT 98.7 and taking on 95.5 as 'The New 98-7 DRQ'?

Nah... that would investment in on-air talent.
Agree.

Cumulus is holding onto the DRQ calls, so 98-7 DRQ is a no go.
They tried CHR on that signal and it was meh at best.
Last edited by armchair pd on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:24 pm

When did they officially flip? Was it today 8/1 or yesterday?

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:39 pm

RayQix wrote:When did they officially flip? Was it today 8/1 or yesterday?

Shortly before midnight last night.

For what it’s worth, New Country’s playlist is still as putrid as ever.

take this job and shove it

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:57 pm

I actually was able to pick up 93.1 at an outdoor party in Monroe County on Saturday. They still branded as New Country 93.1 and there were still a few advertisers left like Kroger. With the exception of Alan Jackson's cover of "Summertime Blues", it was just your typical pop country station, mostly new hits. FLR will probably last a long time on 93.1. I won't miss Pure Country that much as WYCD has been popular here for over 20 years, and is overall better. At least the one morning host was able to be the new morning host at sister country station W4 Country in AA.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:04 pm

That’s a plus considering the talent is what makes the station.

Good that they landed in AA

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:18 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:21 am
.... Christian stations by and large have live on-air staff, do community outreach, and create engagement with their listeners. You know, all the things everyone on here clamors for. But they're the ones ruining radio?
Whole lotta truth to everything you say.

I listened this morning around 9am. Of course like every other radio station, they have a morning show. The banter was not particularly interesting to me anyway. I'll probably be listening to Smile FM more than the new Family Life Radio. Less chatter and more music, which works for me.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:26 pm

With the main studio rule abolished, I'm a little surprised Cumulus hasn't consolidated the Ann Arbor stations into the Fisher Building. Space issue?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic