Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

P-U Country 93-1 is moving to...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: P-U Country 93-1 is moving to...

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:21 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:19 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:16 am
thatonedude wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:53 pm
As much as I wish the Detroit dial wasn’t loaded with religious garbage or cookie-cutter formats, it seems that the only people who will pony up the cash for terrestrial radio facilities are religious broadcasters. If you ask me, it’s getting to be overkill.

Where I’m at now in Oregon, there are at least SIX different frequencies airing some sort of religious-based programming. Mostly K-Love and Air1. I’ve had the “pleasure” of listening to them; I think I’d rather watch paint dry. Absolutely boring programming. But out here, they eat that shit up. It’s mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen. It's so much better when those stations are pumping out quality butt rock. We can never have enough Kansas, Boston, or Pink Floyd on the radio dial.
Yeah, so, you tried that one on me in another forum and it didn't work there, either. Nobody is clamoring for more of that. Idk if you noticed, but this time the station was a country station. I think the aggravation comes from the fact that it's a choice of four 150 song playlist formats or Jesus stations, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a stranglehold on the non-comm dial, also. Trust me, nobody is upset we aren't getting another station that plays the only 150 rock songs released between 1967 and 2023.
They wouldn't be invading the commercial dial if the commercial dial had anything useful on it. What other format should end up here that wouldn't be the same dreck, or some ultra niche format that isnt profitable?

No commercial broadcaster is coming to put a good station on the air. Christian stations by and large have live on-air staff, do community outreach, and create engagement with their listeners. You know, all the things everyone on here clamors for. But they're the ones ruining radio?
That was the meat and potatoes of my point, I can't speak for thatonedude. They were all in a rush to dive in and buy up as many properties as possible, narrowed it all down, fucked up and checked out.

To me, it's absolutely unfathomable that you have a choice of CHR/rap, contemporary country, or a library format of rock or urban. And only in certain years. I am the LAST person that wants to hear fucking More Than a Feeling again or WLLZ promoting a Ratt concert like it's Goddamn 1985. FM did it to itself. But OTOH, nothing says Christiananity these days more than capitalism and owning property.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

P-U Country 93-1 is moving to...

Post by thatonedude » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:21 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:19 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:16 am
thatonedude wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:53 pm
As much as I wish the Detroit dial wasn’t loaded with religious garbage or cookie-cutter formats, it seems that the only people who will pony up the cash for terrestrial radio facilities are religious broadcasters. If you ask me, it’s getting to be overkill.

Where I’m at now in Oregon, there are at least SIX different frequencies airing some sort of religious-based programming. Mostly K-Love and Air1. I’ve had the “pleasure” of listening to them; I think I’d rather watch paint dry. Absolutely boring programming. But out here, they eat that shit up. It’s mind boggling.

Amen. It's so much better when those stations are pumping out quality butt rock. We can never have enough Kansas, Boston, or Pink Floyd on the radio dial.
Yeah, so, you tried that one on me in another forum and it didn't work there, either. Nobody is clamoring for more of that. Idk if you noticed, but this time the station was a country station. I think the aggravation comes from the fact that it's a choice of four 150 song playlist formats or Jesus stations, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a stranglehold on the non-comm dial, also. Trust me, nobody is upset we aren't getting another station that plays the only 150 rock songs released between 1967 and 2023.
They wouldn't be invading the commercial dial if the commercial dial had anything useful on it. What other format should end up here that wouldn't be the same dreck, or some ultra niche format that isnt profitable?

No commercial broadcaster is coming to put a good station on the air. Christian stations by and large have live on-air staff, do community outreach, and create engagement with their listeners. You know, all the things everyone on here clamors for. But they're the ones ruining radio?
That was the meat and potatoes of my point, I can't speak for thatonedude. They were all in a rush to dive in and buy up as many properties as possible, narrowed it all down, fucked up and checked out.

To me, it's absolutely unfathomable that you have a choice of CHR/rap, contemporary country, or a library format of rock or urban. And only in certain years. I am the LAST person that wants to hear fucking More Than a Feeling again or WLLZ promoting a Ratt concert like it's Goddamn 1985. FM did it to itself. But OTOH, nothing says Christiananity these days more than capitalism and owning property.
You nailed it.

I think it’s sad that no big ownership group wants to take a risk and maybe stray away from the same 150 songs played day-in, day-out. Nope, the station is tanking, either we put another garbage format on there or we have to sell it to EMF or another religious entity. Creativity? Uniqueness? Fuck that! Let’s just do the same shit we’ve been doing. It’s easier!

I wanted to go into radio at one point, and I have a passion for it to this day. I had friends and family tell me I was a fucking idiot for wanting to do so. Glad I’m in IT now.

Shit, I made more at Burger King than I would have in radio. That’s beyond shameful.

take this job and shove it

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:00 am

Where did Cumulus park the WDRQ call sign?

WLTI was parked on the daytime AM in Melbourne, FL, and later in New Castle, IN where it remains today.

The parking of old call signs was a "Dickey Lew" practice, so I am a little surprised it continues today.

As far as reviving the DRQ "brand" there really isn't a solid brand (I never liked that term) to revive. WDRQ, in it's beginning, was on FM, when the majority of listening was still on AM. Carl Como and Jerry Clifton did a great job with it, with a lot of promotion, and decent air talent. Beyond that, WDRQ went through numerous personnel changes, ownership changes, and format tweaks. Very early in the '80's, I remember the logo with the chrome pipe lettering and the blue background. Disco was done, and some of the right music adjustments and promotion brought WDRQ back. Another adjustment to more of an Urban/Dance sound worked out for awhile (the bus billboard, seen in Beverly Hills Cop) but WDRQ would always be "the other station"...preset 3 or 4 on your car radio. New owners brought in WLTI in 1985.

I would guess that between 1972 and 1985, more than 100 people (maybe more) worked at WDRQ. I can't even name one of the many morning shows on DRQ. One of the more famous DJs who worked there, and probably stayed the longest, was the late Bill Bailey (same guy who was in Grand Rapids)

After leaving the WJBK-TV building, WDRQ was located on the second floor of a building on 8 Mile, just west of the Lodge Freeway. That's where Carl and Jerry started the station. Later, it was on Civic Center Dr in Southfield, in the 3 story white building (now gone) that sat between the Town Center and the Travelers Tower. WLTI was there in the beginning, then moved to the flash-cube style "Watson-Wyatt" building near Telegraph and I-696.

That's your old grizzled radio guy story for today.

Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people. :smokin
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm

93-1 DRQ in the early 2000's under Alex Tear was great radio.

WDRQ died forever when it became Doug FM

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:37 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm

Yes, I was there at the tail end of Alex's tenure with DRQ 2.0, and for the beginning of Doug FM. I had already "aged out" of DRQ's target audience. I would have been around that age when Jerry Clifton was PD. :lol

Wish I could recall who was PD in '80-'82... WDRQ was really cookin' prior to WHYT and Mike Joseph's "Hot Hits" That's probably why DRQ went in more of a rhythmic direction after that.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:24 pm

I guess the question is……

Is terrestrial radio dead…..?

If they can’t market it….. and make it pay for itself…. Then yeah I’d say the writing is on the wall for it :-/

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Being of a certain vintage, DRQ was the top 40 station to listen to from about 1999-2004. I was never too hip for them. To me, it was the last of an era. It was a literal mash of ANY format song that was popular. Pure pop, rap, rock, alternative, ANYTHING went. Fuck, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi were getting plays in 2001. You would NEVER, EVER hear a 25 year old rock band on 95.5 today. Once 95.5 went more rhythmic and DRQ went plain vanilla, it was never the same again. When DRQ died, my enjoyment of CHR was all but done.
-TurkeyTop

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:11 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:37 pm
armchair pd wrote:

Yes, I was there at the tail end of Alex's tenure with DRQ 2.0, and for the beginning of Doug FM. I had already "aged out" of DRQ's target audience. I would have been around that age when Jerry Clifton was PD. :lol

Wish I could recall who was PD in '80-'82... WDRQ was really cookin' prior to WHYT and Mike Joseph's "Hot Hits" That's probably why DRQ went in more of a rhythmic direction after that.
PDs in that time frame were Jim Ryan and Bill Garcia.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:42 pm

Not a fan, but I remember Jay towers morning show on 93.1, mid 90’s ?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:49 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:42 pm
1999-2005

https://youtu.be/52Zl9UOq9sE
-TurkeyTop

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:49 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
1999-2005

Thanks, sometimes the years just blend :)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:14 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:47 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
1999-2005

Back then, Drew and Mike were my morning show, followed closely by Towers and then 89x. 1999 was when DRQ became a full fledged CHR and Towers did mornings.
-TurkeyTop

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:59 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:14 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
1999-2005

Back then, Drew and Mike were my morning show, followed closely by Towers and then 89x. 1999 was when DRQ became a full fledged CHR and Towers did mornings.
Same here, in watching the videos, pretty much everyone Form Jays show are still in radio, not sure about Mr wholesome though

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:37 pm
armchair pd wrote:

Might have been Brian White when they went urban in the early 80's.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:26 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:59 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:14 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
1999-2005

Same here, in watching the videos, pretty much everyone Form Jays show are still in radio, not sure about Mr wholesome though
Mr. Wholesome has been out of radio for years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic