Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ news writers

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

Re: WWJ news writers

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:27 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:50 am
And don't even get me started on south Detroit.
Are you talking about Windsor?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:28 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:16 pm
mr v wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:02 pm
WWJ once referred to Grand Blanc as a suburb of Detroit when talking about the Buick Open golf tournament. Also heard Tony Ortiz mention
Ubly as "oooo--bleee" while mentioning the MHSAA football finals last fall. Go Bearcats!
Yep. I heard OOOoobly too :rollin

Forgot about that one.
Things could get ubly.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:33 pm

Tony Ortiz just said Troy is in northern Oakland County. No, it isn't.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:51 pm

That's embarrassing. In fact, the southern border of Troy is just six miles north of Eight Mile Rd.

Maybe a large road map of SE Michigan should be hung on the wall there.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:51 pm
That's embarrassing. In fact, the southern border of Troy is just six miles north of Eight Mile Rd.

:rollin

This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder if any of these people ever bother to get out and about around here. My guess would be that Tony got tripped up by the writers. You don't have time to proofread every single piece of copy, in PM drive, with an ongoing severe weather outbreak.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:50 pm

I heard Ortiz say it on two different occasions today which makes it even worse. Even the northern end of Troy at South Blvd isn’t northern Oakland!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:06 pm

The Census Bureau keeps changing the definition of Metropolitan Areas in Michigan. By some definitions, Genesee County is considered to be part of the Greater Detroit Metro Area, by others, it has been considered a completely separate Metro Area. The Predicted City Grade 5 mV/m Contour of WWJ does take in Grand Blanc and other areas of Southern Genesee County. The Buick Open organizers also wanted to attract people from the Detroit Area to be spectators. They used to send the Goodyear Blimp down that way as you may recall. People have a distorted view of how far it is. It takes less than an hour to get there from most parts of the Detroit Area, less than a lot of much shorter surface trips with no efficient route. When JP McCarthy heard thunder when John McMurray was doing the weather once, he made it sound like the Davison Road Commercial Weather Service Studio, connected by a dedicated phone line to the WJR Studios, was on the other side of the earth. It's not 1958 when Frantic Ernie Durham was commuting daily between WJLB and WBBC.

23 Mile Rd./Avon Rd. (the equivalent road becomes intermittent at Pontiac because of the old Woodward centered street layout and many Lakes further West) is the North South geographic center of Oakland and Macomb Counties.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm

I have said this here before. The frontline weekday anchors (am and pm) are all veteran award winning anchors with years of major market experience.

They are reading new copy, often put in by the minute, and often written by very young green writers.
They are reading cold, while also running the board and hitting ads etc. They dont have nearly the time to proof as TV anchors do.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:51 pm

The AAA Road Map of Southeastern Michigan should be on the wall in every studio. Very complete. Along with a Gazetteer of Michigan city name pronunciations.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:35 pm

Is Woodward in Pontiac still called Wide Track Dr., there no longer being a Pontiac Brand? If so, why?

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... GjfGxNC3uI

-Author Unknown

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:39 pm

edj wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:50 pm
I heard Ortiz say it on two different occasions today which makes it even worse. Even the northern end of Troy at South Blvd isn’t northern Oakland!
Dude. What is your problem with Tony Ortiz? Give it a rest. Troy is one of the largest cities in Oakland County and borders Rochester, which is considered “northern” Oakland County.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:43 pm

Troy borders Rochester Hills, not Rochester.

Did you write Tony's copy? 😜

I don't consider Rochester or Rochester Hills to be northern Oakland. The north and south borders of the county are nearly equidistant from both towns.

Oakland Twp., Orion Twp. and Lake Orion are examples of places I'd consider to be north Oakland.

As a sports commentator years ago, Ortiz lost all credibility when he said on 97.1's airwaves "Millen should be given a chance to fix the Lions" after already running the team straight into the ground for five years. Second worst take I've ever heard by a reporter or host on a Detroit sports radio station.

As a news reader, Tony doesn't do a bad job, but he's nothing special. I agree that the Troy faux pas falls on the script writer.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:33 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm
I have said this here before. The frontline weekday anchors (am and pm) are all veteran award winning anchors with years of major market experience.

They are reading new copy, often put in by the minute, and often written by very young green writers.
They are reading cold, while also running the board and hitting ads etc. They dont have nearly the time to proof as TV anchors do.
The young, green writers clearly need a tutorial. Probably a Michigan geography lesson too.

And before you come unglued, I'm not just a crazed fan on a message board. I worked at WWJ, many many years ago. I'm old enough to remember the late Earl Dickinson, and George Kendall. Earl worked in San Francisco (his hometown) prior to coming to Detroit. But I guarantee, Earl knew that Troy isn't in "northern Oakland County" Frankenmuth isn't "up north" and Lansing (the state capitol) isn't in "west Michigan"
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

65memories

Post by 65memories » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Clare calls itself the "Gateway to the North."

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:23 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:43 pm
As a news reader, Tony doesn't do a bad job, but he's nothing special. I agree that the Troy faux pas falls on the script writer.
Is Ortiz the only WWJ "anchor" who also records and reads commercial copy that runs through the day? Clothing store, weight loss plans etc.?
That's always seemed tacky to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic