Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kudos to channel 7; thumbs down to everyone else

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Kudos to channel 7; thumbs down to everyone else

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:07 am

Yup, a couple miles upshore from Sterling State Park it would appear. Probably EF-0 or low end EF-1.

The one near Point Place to me looks like high end EF-1 or low end EF-2 damage.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:07 am
Yup, a couple miles upshore from Sterling State Park it would appear. Probably EF-0 or low end EF-1.

The one near Point Place to me looks like high end EF-1 or low end EF-2 damage.
NWS Has indeed confirmed it.. no write up yet though.

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:31 pm

The hot new weather girl on 2 never mentioned the tornado, I had to switch to 7 to get info

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:50 pm

If you mean yesterday, she did break in. Was a minute or two behind the other stations.

NE Monroe County tornado was rated low end EF-1 with peak 90 mph winds.

I still need to research the Lucas County, OH tornado (or tornadoes).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:03 pm

EF-2 tornadoes with 130 mph winds confirmed in Point Place, OH (which abuts the MI border along Lake Erie) as well as Oak Harbor.

Luna Pier and Erie Twp. had a close call.

SPC did a poor job with its severe weather outlook yesterday. A marginal risk of SVR was specified; the extent of severe weather impacts were indicative of an enhanced risk-type event.

NWS Cleveland had no tornado warning in place when the Point Place tornado touched down. It wasn't until that cell moved ashore near Oregon that a warning was issued.

I was a little surprised there weren't additional radar-indicated tornado warnings in Monroe County, but NWS Pontiac ultimately appears to have done a pretty good job.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:03 pm
EF-2 tornadoes with 130 mph winds confirmed in Point Place, OH (which abuts the MI border along Lake Erie) as well as Oak Harbor.

Luna Pier and Erie Twp. had a close call.

SPC did a poor job with its severe weather outlook yesterday. A marginal risk of SVR was specified; the extent of severe weather impacts were indicative of an enhanced risk-type event.

NWS Cleveland had no tornado warning in place when the Point Place tornado touched down. It wasn't until that cell moved ashore near Oregon that a warning was issued.

I was a little surprised there weren't additional radar-indicated tornado warnings in Monroe County, but NWS Pontiac ultimately appears to have done a pretty good job.
The forecast discussion specifically mentioned a low risk of tornadoes due to poor shear dynamics aloft or something to that effect. These seem to have been spinups which they did say were possible.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:31 pm

For SE Michigan, that analysis is fairly accurate. There was clearly a stronger shear profile near Toledo, though.

Northwestern OH sees strong tornadoes (EF-2 or higher) more commonly than Michigan.

Monroe County has got to be the county with the most observed tornadoes in MI over the past 20 years. I can think of at least five observed tornadoes off the top of my head. They seem to often strike near Dundee or Newport.

I was driving to Cincinnati on business 11 or 12 years ago, drove thru a hell of thunderstorm in downriver Wayne County around 4PM, emerged on the south side of that cell and saw what almost certainly looked like a wide funnel cloud northwest of Monroe. I almost called 911 to report it. I exited and parked at the truck stop at the first Monroe exit to observe it. The cloud was likely a few miles due west of me. It wasn't a wall cloud; it had a clear cone shape, was wide and was rotating (but not violently). Thankfully, it evidently never touched down.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:38 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:00 am
If the EAS was triggered and aired then the obligation you talk about was covered. W hie I agree they should be doing lots more, that is legally all they have to do so no fines.
Unless the Part 11 rules changed, weather alerts are not mandatory for EAS

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:24 pm

Hey WDIV, it's annoying AF that the storm warning ticker is accompanied by a trio of loud warning "bongs" that mute the on-camera talent's program audio, which seems might just be relevant to the immediate conditions.
And again this evening those tones blocked out about five seconds of Jacqueline Francis's live report audio about 45's visit to Novi this evening.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:56 am

Overall, I thought the local stations did a very good job dispensing weather info late afternoon and early evening yesterday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic