Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Update - sale of WDRQ to Family Life Radio CONFIRMED

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Update - sale of WDRQ to Family Life Radio CONFIRMED

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:35 am

I think you're completely misconstruing the nature of the complaints, sirrealone.

It's not that people suddenly feel P-U Country 93.1 is a great station, but rather the fact the local FM dial is becoming increasingly loaded with stations that appeal to fringe audiences.

David Corey did a crappy job programming 93.1, which surprised me given his resume. Cookie cutter corporate radio at its finest.

I seldom listened to 93.1 before, and I'll seldom listen to the FLR programming.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:35 am
I think you're completely misconstruing the nature of the complaints, sirrealone.

It's not that people suddenly feel P-U Country 93.1 is a great station, but rather the fact the local FM dial is becoming increasingly loaded with stations that appeal to fringe audiences.
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't a fan of New Country 93.1, but now a lifelong friend is out of job again, and the Detroit dial loses a decent class B signal to a non-comm broadcaster with limited appeal.

With David Corey's departure, what changes, if any, to WDVD should we expect?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:03 am

W4 should have never been killed - it won country station of the year and had consistently higher ratings than 99.5.

Doug FM should not been killed either, if did fair in the ratings a cost almost nothing to run. 93.1 being NASH'ED didn't help either.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:32 am

Aren't non-comm religious broadcasters supposed to be within 88-92 MHz, translators excepted? (WMUZ doesn't count since it's commercial.) We already lost 102.7, which I feel snuck in there during waves of translator and HD subchannel rotations.

As if the Detroit dial wasn't bland and depressing enough, we lost another signal that COULD HAVE been something appealing to the market.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:35 am

Everyone on here is bemoaning losing a full strength FM signal to a "niche" format, as if these stations were currently airing programming to a wide audience. Name one station in the market that isn't a niche station. All of them adhere to a strict format, catered to a specific demographic. How is Family Life Radio programming any worse from a niche perspective than any other station?

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:38 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:32 am
As if the Detroit dial wasn't bland and depressing enough, we lost another signal that COULD HAVE been something appealing to the market.
Do you honestly believe anything appealing or fresh was ever coming to this frequency?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:38 am

W4 was a weak biller when it was deleted from 106.7. Perhaps not enough people in the building knew how to effectively sell Country? It was poorly programmed in its final year, but WYCD was poorly programmed, too, at the time. I heard airchecks of W4 from either 96 or 97 and the station sounded really good back then.

I recall reading W4 was billing about $4.8 million per annum at the time compared to ~$6 million for WYCD.

Cumulus should've segued Doug FM to a classic hits format, just as it did with WJJK in Indianapolis. WYCD had monster ratings in 2012 and 2013, so I can understand why Cumulus wanted a country station, but the manner in which Gnash FM was rolled out was just abysmally executed in all respects.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:44 am

Name one station in the market that isn't a niche station.
WOMC and WNIC each have 800,000+ unique listeners in the course of a given week (used to be closer to a million).

WDRQ in its current form has about 250,000.

This new station will probably have about 50,000.

Mass appeal stations such as WOMC and WNIC are not fringe stations. Yes, all stations are programmed with a particular audience or objective in mind.

I agree that nothing appealing or fresh would have appeared at 93.1 if it were to remain in Cumulus' hands.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:33 am

Does anyone know if FLR vacated their studios/offices on Garfield Rd in Clinton Township?

If they are still there, I guess we know why.

The missteps with WDRQ should have been corrected upon the departure of the Dickey Bros. Cumulus has done a crappy job with all 3 Detroit stations. It's not exactly a secret that 760 and 96.3 are "For Sale" as well.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:43 am

FLR vacated that studio 17 years ago. It's been a big "satellator" since then.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:01 am

History repeats itself. In 1988, Family Life Radio bought WDRQ, then on 1030 AM, from tvbobn. It was a tape loop of recent recurrents when it first signed on.

93.1 was WLTI then, and was Soft Adult Contemporary.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:27 pm

Crickets from our local media and newspapers.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:07 pm

$10,000,000

That will buy down a little debt.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:23 pm

Audacy stock price as of June 13 - .062/share. They're not buying anything. Swap? Perhaps. Purchase? Nope.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:36 pm

I hear a DJ as of 1:30 pm fwiw.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic