Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weather reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Weather reporting

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:35 pm

Looks like 3 to 5 inch totals were quite common across Detroit's northern and far western suburbs, Ann Arbor, Livingston County and southern Genesee County. Bear in mind these numbers do not necessarily match snow depth (there was minor compaction and melting).

Lake Orion, White Lake and Wolverine Lake topped 5 inches.

The airport in the SW corner of Troy reported 3.5 inches (that station is about a couple miles from the house).

I had between 2 and 3 on the ground in the backyard and between 1 and 2 on my concrete driveway.

This was a difficult system to forecast. It rapidly intensified and the moisture plume expanded as it entered SE Michigan. When I woke up at 530 this morning, the snow band (at that time near Lansing) was only about 15 miles wide.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:34 pm

The roads were terrible at 96 and 23 around 7am. I don't think we topped 30mph. Once I got out past Telegraph on 696, the freeway was great and the main roads weren't terrible. By the time I got home this evening, most of the roads out here looked good, too.

I'm shocked they didn't close schools. The kids have been off more in January than they've been in school.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 am

If anyone wishes to believe the ridiculous forecast that even the northern suburbs will reach 40 degrees today or that the snow in the northern suburbs will change to rain, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 am
If anyone wishes to believe the ridiculous forecast that even the northern suburbs will reach 40 degrees today or that the snow in the northern suburbs will change to rain, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale!
Selfridge hit 38… I bet the precip was done before then.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:48 pm

I was out and about today. East end of Troy saw the snow end around Noon. The snow moved through the area quickly; the system sped eastward at about a 50 mph rate. There was zero rain at my house and in my travels. I did receive a very light and short lived sleet / snow mixture before the organized snow arrived.

In most of Metro Detroit, the accumulating snow lasted in any single spot for 90 minutes or less. Dry air incursion did a good job delaying onset of precipitation in Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties. As a result, we saw less time of significant precipitation than Lansing and especially Grand Rapids.

Four to five inch totals were common in the GR area.

https://kamala.cod.edu/mi/latest.nous43.KGRR.html

Peak temp at my house this afternoon was 37.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:29 pm

Apparently, the warning or advisory was supposed to be from 4am until 1pm. I went to start my work van at 6am and it was bone dry. Got to Grand Blanc around 8 and it didn't even start snowing until after 9. Wound up with maybe, MAYBE a half inch up there. A mere dusting here in Brighton. They had me thinking it was gonna be an absolute shit show. I love when they're wrong about winter weather 😁

Anyway, now that the winds are whipping around, what's the over/under on losing power?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:51 pm

The highest winds are moving through SE Michigan as we speak. West of 127, peak gusts are already below 35 mph.

Top gusts in SE Michigan over the next hour or two will be near 45 mph.

I would expect only isolated outages at worst.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:18 pm

We got 3 or 4 inches and not much wind in Traverse City.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:36 pm

Just a dusting in Kazoo hardly any wind truth be told.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:07 am

Much of lower Michigan is now within the severe weather threat area for Tuesday issued by NOAA:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

There is an outside chance southern MI could reach 68 to 70 degrees this Tuesday,

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:10 pm

Upper 60s now look pretty likely Tuesday for much of southern MI. Hell, a few spots in far SW lower MI are in the mid 60s right now! The Grand Rapids NWS is even predicting a high of 71 degrees for Grand Rapids tomorrow. (The all time February high temp for GRR is 69 degrees, I believe. I remember that day well because I saw Black Sabbath and Pantera play at Van Andel Arena that evening.)

The severe weather threat definitely exists for late tonight and especially for tomorrow evening and tomorrow night. Would not surprise me if some areas near and south of I-94 and west of US-23 are upgraded to an enhanced risk by tomorrow's mid-morning update.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:06 pm

Reading 68 on the bus just north of Alma… it’s quite warm.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:25 pm

67 in Troy and 68 at DTW right now.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:27 pm

We had about 30 seconds worth of monster hail stones here in Tawas about about 3AM last night. Or at least I assume they were massive because I heard them but was half asleep and didn't look outside but this morning at 8AM there were still hail stones the size of marbles on the ground. Granted, it wasn't much above freezing so they probably didn't melt too quickly but it did rain so that shoulda melted them down some.

Strange February weather for sure. And now another round of hail possible overnight.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:19 pm

GRR has cracked 70 (and still rising). New all time February high temp for them.

DTW is also 70, which either ties or breaks the all time Feb record. We had some insane warmth in Feb 2017, so I'm not certain if 70 breaks the record for the full month.

Kalamazoo is an unfathomable 73 degrees right now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic