Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weather reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Weather reporting

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:18 pm

The hazardous weather outlook has been updated to include a tornado mention:
The area along and south of the M-59 corridor remains under a
Marginal risk of severe thunderstorms. The area along and west of a
line between Monroe and Howell is under a Slight risk where an
isolated tornado is possible should a stronger thunderstorm develop
or move into that area mainly from 6 PM to midnight. Damaging wind
gusts are also possible along with heavy rainfall. A multicell storm
mode has west to east movement at 30 mph.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:48 pm

Makes sense. Nearly stationary front nearby with waves of low pressure moving along it and at least minor instability with which to work.

Any tornado would likely be short lived and of the EF-0 to EF-1 variety. Best threat is along and south of a Jackson to Monroe line, in my opinion.

Tornado Watch was issued an hour ago for NE Illinois where wind profiles and instability are more conducive to supercell development. SPC says an EF-3 or stronger tornado is even possible there.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:48 pm
Makes sense. Nearly stationary front nearby with waves of low pressure moving along it and at least minor instability with which to work.

Any tornado would likely be short lived and of the EF-0 to EF-1 variety. Best threat is along and south of a Jackson to Monroe line, in my opinion.

Tornado Watch was issued an hour ago for NE Illinois where wind profiles and instability are more conducive to supercell development. SPC says an EF-3 or stronger tornado is even possible there.
I feel like we are a month or so late for this to be a frequent thing… late May and early June has always seemed the sweet spot for tornado risks around here. I’ll take it though. That Northern Illinois area as well as northwest Indiana area sure seems to get its fair share of tornado watches/warnings!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:12 pm

For sure. Less invection from cool waters of the Great Lakes.

Two tornado warnings just issued for parts of NE Illinois, including a small chunk of western Cook County. Radar indicated rotation.

Also seeing good rotation on a cell SW of Evanston. That one could go under a warning any minute.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:21 pm

New tornado warning just issued for most of Cook County including downtown Chicago.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:12 pm
For sure. Less invection from cool waters of the Great Lakes.

Two tornado warnings just issued for parts of NE Illinois, including a small chunk of western Cook County. Radar indicated rotation.

Also seeing good rotation on a cell SW of Evanston. That one could go under a warning any minute.
Now 4 tornado warnings out there including one that includes a large chunk of cook county. The rare use of "A confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado" verbiage is being used with the Cook county one. The original cook county one is a separate tornado simply described as a "confirmed tornado".

Also a third tornado confirmed in Kane county which is the Elgin area west of Chicago.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Looks like it is on the ground a block or so north of I-55 a bit west of Cicero Rd (Midway Airport).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:31 pm

I think the heavy rainfall threat south of I-94 is greatly lessened.

Looks solid for I-69 corridor (Flint, Owosso, Lapeer) and north.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:31 pm
I think the heavy rainfall threat south of I-94 is greatly lessened.

Looks solid for I-69 corridor (Flint, Owosso, Lapeer) and north.
I want to see if we get some redevelopment to the southwest. That will be interesting. There is now a tornado warning for Northern Dupage county and the appendage in western cook county... Schaumberg area.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:38 pm

Chicago saw a healthy dose of sun deep into the afternoon, which greatly destabilized the atmosphere. This is a bona fide tornado outbreak for Chicagoland. I will say everything appears to be mostly EF-1 or EF-0 so far. The gate to gate shear readings are not terribly impressive.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:38 pm
Chicago saw a healthy dose of sun deep into the afternoon, which greatly destabilized the atmosphere. This is a bona fide tornado outbreak for Chicagoland. I will say everything appears to be mostly EF-1 or EF-0 so far. The gate to gate shear readings are not terribly impressive.
Yes it is. Very impressive. There is now a 5th warning in Lake County in northern Illinois.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Skies are beginning to clear up as the last of the rain moves to the east here. We are almost out of daylight though.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:57 pm

Tornado Watch just issued for much of our area, per Alexa. She always alerts me before I see it on TV or on the NWS website.

Edit: SPC website now has the advisory / discussion posted. It is a low end threat. A couple weak tornadoes are possible in southern MI along with isolated thunderstorm wind gusts to 65 mph.

I'm not terribly impressed by the look of the storms out west on radar. They appear to be shearing out and collapsing a bit. Definitely a strong wind threat out that way, but I'm skeptical they'll have much gas left by the time they get here. Bigger potential threat could be from formation of new cells closer to home. A low level jet streak is expected to pivot this way over the next couple to few hours.

I will say there are a couple spots right now from South Haven down toward St. Joe where rotation looks a bit concerning. It's showing up better on the North Webster radar than the GRR radar.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:57 pm
Tornado Watch just issued for much of our area, per Alexa. She always alerts me before I see it on TV or on the NWS website.

Edit: SPC website now has the advisory / discussion posted. It is a low end threat. A couple weak tornadoes are possible in southern MI along with isolated thunderstorm wind gusts to 65 mph.

I'm not terribly impressed by the look of the storms out west on radar. They appear to be shearing out and collapsing a bit. Definitely a strong wind threat out that way, but I'm skeptical they'll have much gas left by the time they get here. Bigger potential threat could be from formation of new cells closer to home. A low level jet streak is expected to pivot this way over the next couple to few hours.

I will say there are a couple spots right now from South Haven down toward St. Joe where rotation looks a bit concerning. It's showing up better on the North Webster radar than the GRR radar.
I am susceptible to pressure change sinus issues... in the last few minutes I feel considerably worse. I haven't felt great today but I'm almost dizzy now. Not surprised hearing this.

Edit:
Tornado warning for Van Beuren County.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Yup. I think the radar possible tornado began near Dowagiac. Likely the same part of the line that was producing pretty good rotation earlier near St. Joe. Was surprised a tornado warning wasn't issued for Berrien earlier (if one was, I missed it).

These are low topped storms. Not a ton of lightning in most cases. No well defined hail cores, either. But, there is some shear in the lower and mid levels of the atmosphere, and that's generating some low end tornado risk.

A few cells near 131 have the curly-Q appearance on radar right now. Some meso rotation is certainly occurring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic