Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weather reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
tigerwings

Re: Weather reporting

Post by tigerwings » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Enjoy the Colorado like weather swing.

When I lived in Denver, we had a swing in October where it was 76 degrees at 1030 am, by 2pm we had a blizzard.

Another time in March we had a tornado warning and a winter storm warning at the same time.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

― Seneca

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Very preliminary assessment of the tornado near Marshall, MI is a high-end EF-1 with 110 mph winds.

The survey is not yet fully complete, so it's possible wind speed could be revised upward.

Denver definitely has the wildest intra-day weather swings of any major city in the lower 48. I don't think I could handle living there.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Apparently there were 11 confirmed tornadoes in the Chicago area last night!

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 am
I suspected it might've been sudden.

If there was any lead time on the tornado warning (if even minutes), then the NWS did a good job.
I was up late watching some online coverage. The guys there noticed it spin up on radar and it probably was about 2 minutes after that when NWS issued the tornado warning.

At about the 6:26:40 mark, you can see the Grand Blanc radar.
https://www.youtube.com/live/jbCQtLqxAv ... BdMyisnaP9

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:22 am

Thanks!

Two minutes sounds about right. I found the bulletin for the tornado warning; it was issued at 1:13a.

It takes the NWS a few minutes to prepare and dispense warnings, so I really cannot argue the warning should've been issued sooner. The funnel unfortunately formed quickly in a highly developed area.

That said, the county (and all of SE Michigan) should've been added to the severe thunderstorm watch in the late evening hours. The fact local media had been touting the severe weather threat for the full region was definitely beneficial, in my opinion.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:36 pm

A large portion of the U.P. and even some areas near Thunder Bay, ON have zero snow on the ground right now.

Warmest official temp in Michigan right now is at Houghton of all places, where it is sunny and 51 degrees.

I am worried that the forest fire season this year is going to be every bit as bad as 2023. Could become a major issue for the upper peninsula this year.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:36 pm

I've seen a few local weather folk post about the dry conditions

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:36 pm
A large portion of the U.P. and even some areas near Thunder Bay, ON have zero snow on the ground right now.

Warmest official temp in Michigan right now is at Houghton of all places, where it is sunny and 51 degrees.

I am worried that the forest fire season this year is going to be every bit as bad as 2023. Could become a major issue for the upper peninsula this year.
With the volume of dead hemlock trees in the UP, it's going to be a smoke filled summer.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:29 pm

A ton of tornado warnings in western and central Ohio this evening. Closest one to us was in the Findlay area.

It appears at least one may have crossed I-75 (near Wapakoneta).

SPC only had that region outlooked for slight risk of SVR today. This has proven to be a worse event than forecasted.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 am

For today and tonight's snowfall, I think widespread 3 to 5 inch totals with some 6 inch totals will be quite common from about Ford Rd. northward through the M-46 corridor. This will be a top 3 snowfall event for the current cold season for many areas.

I think one "bullseye" area for higher accumulations will be between Eight Mile Rd and M-59 across Oakland and Macomb Counties. (Lucky me.)

One area that may luck out is along M-21. The heavy bands well south and well north are robbing moisture.

The clown on channel 7 (Dave Rexroth) said "don't worry about shoveling" last evening. He's sorta right as many folks will need to crack out their snow blowers instead!

This storm system is overachieving and low level moisture is quite pronounced across the areas near and just north of I-94. Some model data yesterday was hinting at several hours worth of moderate to even heavy snow bursts across the middle and northern sections of Metro Detroit, and unfortunately, that has come to fruition.

AccuWeather's app is garbage; even now it is forecasting only "an inch or two" in total accumulation for my community.

There will be a very steep drop-off in accumulating snow as one gets south of I-94 in SE Michigan. Much of Monroe County will see little if any accumulation.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 am

In Canton right now. Roads are a mess. Heavy snow.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:22 am

Canton is one of the communities that is just barely within the heavy snowfall band. It should move just to your north by Noon.

If you were to head south by 10 miles or less, there'd be next to nothing in terms of snowfall.

A much welcomed lull has just moved into my area after snowing like crazy for the past 30 minutes. The lull will be short lived.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:16 pm

Livonia area we had 5.5”……..

Taylor had nada.

Hopefully that’s the end of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm so glad nearly all the white crap on the ground has melted.

I don't want to see any snowpack again until January!

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 pm

RayQix wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:16 pm
Livonia area we had 5.5”……..

Taylor had nada.
I had a flight out of DTW that day at 1300 local, and the snow line was about a half mile north of the airport. It was a sharp line of snow to the north, nothing to the south that went northeast and very noticable as we took off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic